Possible (D&Wing) Trade for (Wing) Rumor?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Possible (D&Wing) Trade for (Wing) Rumor?

Postby Senka on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:10 pm

I heard a rumor from a random source (mine) that said Pens are trying to pair a D/Winger combo for a better Winger.
*I heard that Sydor was requesting trade before this occurred*

Now i believe its too early to be looking at this, but here are my thoughts.

I think we need to wait and see how Satan does with Crosby. Period. Our PP needs to get going, and it will improve with our Point men.

As for a tade on the way out, I see 2 possible scenarios.
**NOTE: No names have been mentioned to me at all, i'm just speculating on names. i.e.WINGER**

Gill/Letang+Satan for Winger

Gonchar+Kennedy for Winger

Both open cap up for a winger. I hear some people wanting to trade GoGo (and i agree) but his expectations and potential is high.

So thats where I leave this, up for discussion or input. Im not trying to start a rumor, i'm looking for closure or help with this one, thats all.

Thanks-Senka.
Last edited by Senka on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Possible (D&Wing) Trade for (Wing) Rumor?

Postby spi on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:21 pm

Tang and Kennedy must stay.

too young and too affordable right now.

I hate to say it but the Gonch may need to be dangled.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:26 pm

Gonchar's probably not tradeable this season. I wouldn't expect him back until after the deadline passes. They'll want to have him for the playoffs anyway. The D is performing pretty well right now. Imagine the D in the playoffs adding Gonchar and hopefully a better Whitney to that group.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:28 pm

Agree on clearing some of the 9 million that's tied in the top 2 defensemen, but at this point I also agree that there isn't any immediate need for an upgrade at wing. Bearing in mind of course that whoever goes must be replaced. As for trading Satan, I don't see his perceived value as being too high, plus he's coming off a 16 goal season. If he was wanted that badly he would have been signed or at least involved with late-stage negotiations before Hossa made up his mind to leave. Not sure that there's any legs on this one, especially given Shero's well-documented wait and see attitude, which has persisted even when the Pens were in more perceptible need than they are now.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 pm

I don't know how much you'd get in return since Satan is only on a one year deal.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:38 pm

If Letang were to get moved i'd be ranting about it here for years.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If Letang were to get moved i'd be ranting about it here for years.

I wouldn't but only because my head would've exploded and I imagine it would be tough to post [or, you know, live] without a head.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Three Stars on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:56 pm

wallflower wrote:I wouldn't but only because my head would've exploded and I imagine it would be tough to post [or, you know, live] without a head.

That's no way to get ahead in life.

Considering that the Pens aren't exactly sucking right now, I'd wait on any trades. The Gonchar and Whitney injuries really limit their options.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:01 pm

wallflower wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:If Letang were to get moved i'd be ranting about it here for years.

I wouldn't but only because my head would've exploded and I imagine it would be tough to post [or, you know, live] without a head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL2y5If1oYk

This is how I entertained myself a few months ago, I will resume with it now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Three Stars wrote:
wallflower wrote:I wouldn't but only because my head would've exploded and I imagine it would be tough to post [or, you know, live] without a head.

That's no way to get ahead in life.

Considering that the Pens aren't exactly sucking right now, I'd wait on any trades. The Gonchar and Whitney injuries really limit their options.

It's a shame he wasn't more headstrong.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:10 pm

It's amazing how quick things change. Last year, Whitney was the whipping boy and Letang was the next great thing. Now, it's Goligoski as the next great thing and Letang is just another guy.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:12 pm

cs6687 wrote:It's amazing how quick things change. Last year, Whitney was the whipping boy and Letang was the next great thing. Now, it's Goligoski as the next great thing and Letang is just another guy.

I called Letang as being the next Whipping boy I believe. I'll count this as a win.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Three Stars on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:17 pm

cs6687 wrote:It's amazing how quick things change. Last year, Whitney was the whipping boy and Letang was the next great thing. Now, it's Goligoski as the next great thing and Letang is just another guy.

This is all a byproduct of the Penguins having a deep defensive corps for the first time in...well....EVAAAAAAR.

Unless some kind of miracle occurs (i.e. a 40 goal winger develops out of Wilkes-Barre), one of the above is going to be used as trade bait.

Edit: Spelling FTW
Last edited by Three Stars on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
wallflower wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL2y5If1oYk

This is how I entertained myself a few months ago, I will resume with it now.

I saw this coming
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:07 pm

whitney is our best option to trade once healthy. tanger and go-go can fill his role on the PP no problem. we could get a nice return for whitney since he is locked up for a while.

i dont want to see us trade any of our "core" but we need wingers.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Us Pens fans are just going to be patient. We've got a good team that I think will once again prove itself best in the East as is. Trading a d-man that is signed next year seems sort of silly to me, knowing the price of UFA d-men and the amount of guys the Pens have to sign with the space they have.

We probably won't get a scoring winger better than Satan this year. This summer in UFA, we'll probably have to settle for bargain bin guys again.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:11 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
Who is Winger?

A bunch of wusses
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:16 pm

I'm hungry.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:16 pm

I dunno about you guys but the Pens are off to a 11-4-3 start, are tied in goals for in the conference and are rolling 3.5 lines effectively and have points in their last 7 games. Maybe I am crazy but why do we need this mystical magical winger?
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:19 pm

To be honest. If Whitney and Gonchar come back we have 4 chips. Letang, GoGo, Whitney and Gonchar. Thats alot to dangle out there in trade to the masses. Never know what the offers could be.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Three Stars wrote:

This is all a byproduct of the Penguins having a deep defensive corps for the first time in...well....EVAAAAAAR.

Unless some kind of miracle occurs (i.e. a 40 goal winger develops out of Wilkes-Barre), one of the above is going to be used as trade bait.

Edit: Spelling FTW

We haven't really developed any first-line forward in Wilkes-Barres in a while. We're due.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:36 pm

Well WBS is due to be restocked next year. A full draft in 09 will help out too in a few years.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:26 pm

They're not trading Whitney, simply because he is better than either Goligoski or Letang. Even with a bum foot last year he put up numbers that those two will barely reach, combined. Plus, he is cheap and he is already locked up. He isn't going anywhere.

If they were to move Letang or Goligoski, they'd best go after a similar type of young, emerging player who is a forward, who will be affordable in the short term but still has good potential. That makes more sense than to go after an established veteran who they won't be able to afford in the near term.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:59 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:They're not trading Whitney, simply because he is better than either Goligoski or Letang. Even with a bum foot last year he put up numbers that those two will barely reach, combined. Plus, he is cheap and he is already locked up. He isn't going anywhere.

If they were to move Letang or Goligoski, they'd best go after a similar type of young, emerging player who is a forward, who will be affordable in the short term but still has good potential. That makes more sense than to go after an established veteran who they won't be able to afford in the near term.

true
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Senka on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:11 pm

newarenanow wrote:I don't know how much you'd get in return since Satan is only on a one year deal.

Oh you know... something downscaled from an Armstrong, Espo, 1st Round pick... For a year.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins