Possible (D&Wing) Trade for (Wing) Rumor?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Possible (D&Wing) Trade for (Wing) Rumor?

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:12 pm

Senka wrote:Gill/Letang+Satan for Winger
Gonchar+Kennedy for Winger

No offense, but I don't see either scenario as likely, especially right now. Shero said after the Sydor/Boucher deal that he wasn't going to move a defenseman without getting one back, so that eliminates any trades involving a defenseman at least until Ryan Whitney returns and the team is sure the foot is completely healed. I'm guessing they'd want him to play for at least a month before being comfortable with making a move.

Also, Gill and Satan aren't going to bring much of a return as both are in the last year of their contracts. Besides, if you move Satan to get another scoring wing, that ends up being a lateral move as far as depth goes. Gonchar has a no-trade and being that he's not due back until March or April, I'm guessing his trade value isn't at it's peak either. They just signed Kennedy to an extension, so that tells me he likely isn't going anywhere either.

That just leaves Kris Letang, and IMO, they'd be foolish to move him. Everyone knows about the skill level he has, but now he's being asked to concentrate more on his defense and I think he's doing a good job. Once the coaches are satisfied, I imagine they'll green light him a little more and you'll see him become and pretty good two-way threat. Aside from his size, he's the kind of defenseman you need to have now to be successful - mobile, good vision, good passing and defensively sound. And on top of that he's a good kid, as evidenced by him captaining the Canadian World Junior team to a gold medal once upon a time.

I realize you have to give to get, but IMO Letang is someone you need to hold on to.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Senka on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:18 pm

Okay heres some food for thought... When both are healthy and return, what 6 are you looking at?

-Tang, Whits, Gonch, GoGo, Scuds, Orpik, Gill.

Do you really dress 4 O-Dmen? someone has to sit. So Eaton and Bouch are the obvious 2 out. But i dont see this working unless you do move one. If its a Letang for 3 Up and coming forwards to hit WBS even. We have too much talent to bench. I see us moving one of the big names for prospects, and pull a "Pirates Trade" here.. just because you have 7 top 4 D-Men. and i think all 7 are top 4 D-Men.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:20 pm

Letang for 3 WBS'ers? No guarantee they make the NHL at that level.

Letang, Whitney, and Gonchar are 2-way d-men. Goligoski isn't yet.

I'm not sure I'd rather have Gill in the line-up than Boucher. We'll see.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:22 pm

netwolf wrote:
Senka wrote:Gill/Letang+Satan for Winger
Gonchar+Kennedy for Winger

No offense, but I don't see either scenario as likely, especially right now. Shero said after the Sydor/Boucher deal that he wasn't going to move a defenseman without getting one back, so that eliminates any trades involving a defenseman at least until Ryan Whitney returns and the team is sure the foot is completely healed. I'm guessing they'd want him to play for at least a month before being comfortable with making a move.

Also, Gill and Satan aren't going to bring much of a return as both are in the last year of their contracts. Besides, if you move Satan to get another scoring wing, that ends up being a lateral move as far as depth goes. Gonchar has a no-trade and being that he's not due back until March or April, I'm guessing his trade value isn't at it's peak either. They just signed Kennedy to an extension, so that tells me he likely isn't going anywhere either.

That just leaves Kris Letang, and IMO, they'd be foolish to move him. Everyone knows about the skill level he has, but now he's being asked to concentrate more on his defense and I think he's doing a good job. Once the coaches are satisfied, I imagine they'll green light him a little more and you'll see him become and pretty good two-way threat. Aside from his size, he's the kind of defenseman you need to have now to be successful - mobile, good vision, good passing and defensively sound. And on top of that he's a good kid, as evidenced by him captaining the Canadian World Junior team to a gold medal once upon a time.

I realize you have to give to get, but IMO Letang is someone you need to hold on to.

And the big thing with Letang is that he's signed through next season and cheaply. Trade Letang, and the Pens are going to have to spend at least an extra million to get someone who's not even as good as him this summer.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:29 pm

Senka wrote:Okay heres some food for thought... When both are healthy and return, what 6 are you looking at?

Do you really dress 4 O-Dmen? someone has to sit. So Eaton and Bouch are the obvious 2 out. But i dont see this working unless you do move one. If its a Letang for 3 Up and coming forwards to hit WBS even. We have too much talent to bench. I see us moving one of the big names for prospects, and pull a "Pirates Trade" here.. just because you have 7 top 4 D-Men. and i think all 7 are top 4 D-Men.

Gologoski can be sent to WBS. I'm sure he's aware that that is a very real possibility later in the season. I'm betting that is what goes down.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:10 am

Satan is our best winger to date, why trade him?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelcity8687 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:42 am

Letang has also shown that he is the closest of any of our D-men to being a true, all around Defenceman. He is the best hitter of our guys (especially considering his size). His legs are Crosby-strong. Okay maybe not quite. But close. I say he is our best hitter because unlike Orpik, he consistently makes a play after the hit. He doesn't hit as hard but at the same time does not eliminate himself from the play.

Most potential IMO.
steelcity8687
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby WildKaper on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:03 am

The Penguins are not going to trade Letang - period.

If they seriously put him on the block, you'd have close to 29 teams lining up with offers. Who wouldn't want a young, good, two-way, right handed defenseman, with untapped/unrealized offensive talent, defensive grit, and shoot out skills?!?! Plus he is making peanuts and is an RFA.

Come on people, cut back on huffing that glue.
WildKaper
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Three Stars on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:25 am

WildKaper wrote:If they seriously put him on the block, you'd have close to 29 teams lining up with offers. Who wouldn't want a young, good, two-way, right handed defenseman, with untapped/unrealized offensive talent, defensive grit, and shoot out skills?!?!

That's the point. If you're going to deal, deal from strength and force the other teams to outbid one another.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:35 am

Since he's a hometown boy, maybe Goligoski could go to Minny for a good forward prospect. I don't know what's in their system, though.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:51 am

Eaton is trade bait imo. Not sure what type of player we could get in return for him though...

Fedotenko could be moved as well.

Picks, mid level prospects...

That's really all I see..
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:10 am

Senka wrote:Okay heres some food for thought... When both are healthy and return, what 6 are you looking at?

I wouldn't necessarily categorize Letang as a O-dman. He has been great in his own right as a defensive d-man. He is the perfect mix between offense and defense.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:21 am

I wouldn't even worry about all defensman being healthy at once. It probably will never happen.

If it does happen, then Shero will make a deal...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CKA24 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:41 am

Samsdog wrote:Agree on clearing some of the 9 million that's tied in the top 2 defensemen...

I'm not worried about paying the top 2 d-men ~9 million when some teams are paying close to that for 1 d-man.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:44 am

I think Tanger will be better than Whits soon (if he isn't already...)
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:02 am

CKA24 wrote:I think Tanger will be better than Whits soon (if he isn't already...)

He's nowhere near Whitney offensively, and never will be. Hasn't his tenure on the PP so far this season already suggested this?
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WildKaper on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:15 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:
CKA24 wrote:I think Tanger will be better than Whits soon (if he isn't already...)

He's nowhere near Whitney offensively, and never will be. Hasn't his tenure on the PP so far this season already suggested this?

Not to be a wise arse, but what has Whitney done on the powerplay other than run that god aweful back-door play, that Goligoski has shown that he can run as well? If I remember correctly, when Gonchar missed a couple games last year, and Whitney was QB'ing the powerplay, that also went horribly. What makes you think he can QB the powerplay?
WildKaper
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:41 am

So far in his career he's 32/105/137, so he's clearly putting up points. He may or may not be the perfect quarterback of the PP, but he's clearly an asset on the other point, at the very least. And while last year was not his best, we do now know that he was playing with a bad foot that needed surgery.

Let's turn it around: is there even a small shred of evidence that Letang is a power play quarterback? I've certainly seen no indication of that this season. And since they went out and got Boucher, I'm guessing that RS may well have formed the same opinion.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Firebird on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:45 am

Double whammy.

Not only can you not trade someone on IR, but Gonchar has a NTC.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:25 pm

newarenanow wrote:I don't know how much you'd get in return since Satan is only on a one year deal.

I second that. Satan played great the first dozen games, lately he has been pretty bad, particularly in the neutral zone. But the best value we'll get for Satan right now is from Miroslav Satan.

Players on a one-year deal or in the last year of a deal tend to have career years (Google "Ryan Malone"). And Satan playing on a line with a HEALTHY Crosby would likely produce a whopping total of goals for the winger.

If we could somehow shed some salary and manage to add a rugged veteran left-winger (someone in the mold of Keith Tkachuk) to the Crosby-Satan mix, it would be a very formidable line indeed.

But with Talbot's (God bless him but he's just not a first-line winger) so-so passing skills, Sid's undisclosed injury (or whatever) and Satan's recent plethora of turnovers, the line is not clicking. They need to drink some of the juju that Jordan Staal and Matt Cooke have been consuming recently.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby marek on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:04 pm

I was told by a friend (that works in the marketing dept. of an NHL team - lets leave it at that) that GMs all over the league are working the phones like crazy. And that there is much more talking going on right now compared to any recent season.

The reason being there are a number of players still not signed (Sundin, Shanahan, etc.) that are looking to return, many teams not playing up to their potential (Ottawa, TB, etc.) and many teams at the salary cap that are looking to free up space to make additions and subtractions.

Word is that when someone like Sundin makes his decision where he wants to play its not gonna be a simple straightforward signing. There will be multiple teams involved and many parts moving.

So don't be surprised if RS plays a third wheel in something and comes out the winner.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:30 pm

KG wrote:Fedotenko could be moved as well.

Which is exactly why there'd be absolutely no point in trading Fedotenko. Just the notion of it is ridiculous.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:52 pm

marek wrote:I was told by a friend (that works in the marketing dept. of an NHL team - lets leave it at that) that GMs all over the league are working the phones like crazy. And that there is much more talking going on right now compared to any recent season.

The reason being there are a number of players still not signed (Sundin, Shanahan, etc.) that are looking to return, many teams not playing up to their potential (Ottawa, TB, etc.) and many teams at the salary cap that are looking to free up space to make additions and subtractions.

Word is that when someone like Sundin makes his decision where he wants to play its not gonna be a simple straightforward signing. There will be multiple teams involved and many parts moving.

So don't be surprised if RS plays a third wheel in something and comes out the winner.

Interesting analysis.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:52 pm

meecrofilm wrote:

Which is exactly why there'd be absolutely no point in trading Fedotenko. Just the notion of it is ridiculous.

Ridiculous is a little strong. If someone values Fedotenko more then the pens, he could easily be moved...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:55 pm

KG wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:

Ridiculous is a little strong. If someone values Fedotenko more then the pens, he could easily be moved...

But for what? Certainly if they're going to move a wing, they need to be getting a wing in return. I can't imagine any team that has a winger better than Fedotenko that would be dumb enough to trade said winger for Fedotenko.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins