Would it hinder Gogo's development as a d-man if. . .

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Would it hinder Gogo's development as a d-man if. . .

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:55 pm

. . . he's spends a little time on wing once Gonchar and Whitney come back?

Just kind of throwing it out there. You like to see young guys get rewarded for playing good, and it would suck for him to be sent down. Also I don't know what more help AHL hockey could be for his development.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Would it hinder Gogo's development as a d-man if. . .

Postby netwolf on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:22 am

I think it would hinder his development. He appears to have a pretty good feel for the offensive side of the puck, but needs work in his own zone. He won't get that playing wing.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Noise on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:26 am

oops wrong forum BTW, meant to post this in main.

I get what you're saying though, and I agree that he needs to get better defensively.

But is playing in the AHL at this point still going to help the defensive part of his game grow?
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:34 am

Noise wrote:oops wrong forum BTW, meant to post this in main.

Fixed. :D

If he's logging top pairing minutes and playing in all situations, I think it would help. Beats watching NHL games or getting bottom pair minutes once everyone is healthy.

We've got a while before crossing that bridge though. Gonchar likely isn't back until very, very late in the season. Besides, you don't know how well Whitney's foot will have healed until he gets back and has about a month's worth of games under his belt. Plenty of room on the big club for Goligoski for the foreseeable future.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:09 am

I think the AHL would be good for him because he still has room to grow defensively. It won't hurt for him to spend more time down there when the pens get healthy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:33 am

Depending on what his stats are by the time they get Gonchar back, it may not make sense to send him to the minors, i.e. if he has 10 to 15 goals as a 23 year old D-man in the NHL by the time Sarge gets back. He's either trade bait at that point or they're going to move someone else to keep him up with the big club.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:35 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:Depending on what his stats are by the time they get Gonchar back, it may not make sense to send him to the minors, i.e. if he has 10 to 15 goals as a 23 year old D-man in the NHL by the time Sarge gets back. He's either trade bait at that point or they're going to move someone else to keep him up with the big club.

If his goal total is what decides what they do with him, I'm real worried about the Pens' management.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:40 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:Depending on what his stats are by the time they get Gonchar back, it may not make sense to send him to the minors, i.e. if he has 10 to 15 goals as a 23 year old D-man in the NHL by the time Sarge gets back. He's either trade bait at that point or they're going to move someone else to keep him up with the big club.

If his goal total is what decides what they do with him, I'm real worried about the Pens' management.

If he's got a decent total of goals/points, he's most likely playing well enough to get the ice time? MT isn't just throwing Gogo out there on the powerplay.

Gogo was on the ice the last minute of the game against the Wild.

You get my point though.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:59 am

Yes, that's too much on a youngster's plate at one time...switching from defense to forward isn't that easy of a transition, which is why you don't see it very often except for with awful players...Biz-nasty, Ben Clymer, Sheldon Brookbank, etc.

It's rare that a Sergei Fedorov, Brent Burns or Tyler Cuma come around that can play the switch hitter role effectively...it's hard enough for GoGo to get the speed and other nuances of the NHL game down, he doesn't need to be learning an additional role at that same difficult level...it's impractical and does nothing for his development as a defenseman...

More beneficial:
Top line minutes in the AHL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shifting to forward in the NHL

I see what you're saying about, "ah, it sucks when Sarge and Whit get back" but it's a numbers game and a lot can happen between now and then...who knows if he slumps or falls apart or what have you...but the point remains, I'd have legitimate questions about MT's coaching ability if I see GoGo on the wing of any line...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:02 am

mikey287 wrote:It's rare that a Sergei Fedorov, Brent Burns or Tyler Cuma come around that can play the switch hitter role effectively...

You forgot Ian Moran. :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:02 am

LOL. Maybe Gogo becomes Sid's sniper by default once Whit/Sarge are back... :P
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:07 am

netwolf wrote:
mikey287 wrote:It's rare that a Sergei Fedorov, Brent Burns or Tyler Cuma come around that can play the switch hitter role effectively...

Doesn't count, he was also a goalie... :idea: :D
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:12 am

Which makes his career that much more impressive.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:29 am

mikey287 wrote:
netwolf wrote:

Doesn't count, he was also a goalie... :idea: :D

only in Sudden Death...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:10 am

Ian Moran was a very serviceable player for the Pens. Could definitely help out in a pinch and play D/Wing at anytime.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:22 am

just an off day

I need more hockey so I stop thinking about stupid crud
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:19 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:Ian Moran was a very serviceable player for the Pens. Could definitely help out in a pinch and play D/Wing at anytime.

Ian Moran was my favorite Penguin for a bit, and, honestly, who wouldn't love to have a guy with his attitude in the locker room?

Come to think of it, I bet he and Max Tablot would get on really well.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:22 am

Mongoose87 wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:Ian Moran was a very serviceable player for the Pens. Could definitely help out in a pinch and play D/Wing at anytime.

Ian Moran was my favorite Penguin for a bit, and, honestly, who wouldn't love to have a guy with his attitude in the locker room?

Yeah I love Moran, he was hilarious and fun. He was definitely my favorite pen for a spell.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:59 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:

Yeah I love Moran, he was hilarious and fun. He was definitely my favorite pen for a spell.

I think there are very few people who didn't like Ian Moran.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shortbird II on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:14 pm

P-E-N-S PENS, PENS, PENS!!!!

II
shortbird II
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:18 pm

If his numbers are that good before the trade deadline, the player we got back in the trade likely would not fit under the cap. It would make more sense to move Whitney during the offseason - the Pens could probably get a decent player AND a pick for him if his foot heals 100%. Goligoski will be Gonchar or Whitney's replacement next season - we'll need the cap room, especially if Staal keeps playing lights-out.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:20 pm

I think it would help him to go to the AHL IF (And only IF) we get both Whitney and Gonchar back and near 100%.

I would worry about his attitude now that he has had some success at this level. It really takes a team player with a long term vision to take that assignment and use it to their full potential.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensBeerGeek on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:25 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I think the AHL would be good for him because he still has room to grow defensively. It won't hurt for him to spend more time down there when the pens get healthy.

I wholeheartedly agree here. It shouldn't be considered an insult to send a waiver-exempt player like Gogo to the AHL in this situation, especially with a promise that he'll definitely be on the playoff roster.

Put him out against the other team's best players, use him as a penalty killer, give him 26-28 minutes a game....let Gogo develop some more defensive instincts and confidence.

While Goligoski would make a fine scoring wing (and if his career as a defenseman ever crashes, I could see him making the transition), now is not the time.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby beerman on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:42 pm

I'd like to see him stay here but at the same time I think he'd gain more by actually playing his own position in WBS than he would be playing wing in Pittsburgh.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 pm

Gogo's inherent value is his ability to move the puck and jump up on the play as a Dman. If he played F it would be wasting the very thing that makes him valuable.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins