Salary Cap Headed Down

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Salary Cap Headed Down

Postby Goalie on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:12 pm

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256633&lid=sublink04&lpos=headlines_main

The players also stand to lose their escrow money as well.

I hope this clears up things for a lot of people who lived in fear of the cap rising to 90+ million. The cap is tied to revenues, its not that hard of a concept to grasp.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Salary Cap Headed Down

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Not good for the Pens. With Malkin's contract kicking in, plus new deals for Staal, Goligoski, and Talbot, things are going to be very tight.

Of course, there are teams that are worse off. Detroit is looking at Zetterberg, Hossa, and Franzen all being UFAs. They've already got about $41 million tied up into the cap for next season. Hudler is also a RFA and they'd have to replace a couple other guys. They might not even be able to sign two of the big three.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cs6687 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:30 pm

That article is confusing. One part says it'll go down to $55 million, but another part says $48 million.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:32 pm

I don't understand the escrow money stuff, but what I'm guessing is that the players will have to forfeit some of their salary such that of the $55 million cap, only $48 million will actually go to the players.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:33 pm

We're in the midst of a world-wide economic shock.
No surprises with this one.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:36 pm

columbia wrote:We're in the midst of a world-wide economic shock.
No surprises with this one.

Columbia with the commmon sense! An e-cookie to you.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cs6687 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:42 pm

$55 million is only $1.8 million less than the current cap. No big loss there. Teams should be okay next year. It's 2010-2011 that I'm cringing about.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Philly's another team that has a mess on its hands. They've got about $51.5 million tied up into next season. That's for a lineup of eight forwards, six defensemen, and no goalies. They'll be able to go $3.5 million over the cap because of Rathje's status, but still... good luck with that. That's what they get for trying to skip the rebuilding process and throwing a bunch of money around. It already cost them a young player on the upswing in Umberger and they'll most likely have to cut more fat if they want to have any chance of sending a good team out there next year.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:45 pm

cs6687 wrote:$55 million is only $1.8 million less than the current cap. No big loss there. Teams should be okay next year. It's 2010-2011 that I'm cringing about.

I think it's a big deal. The cap has been going up significantly the last few years and some teams seem to have been functioning with that in mind for upcoming seasons. The fact that the cap will not only not go up but will actually go down slightly is going to be a real hindrance for some teams.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:46 pm

One potential effect:
The top salaries remain relatively in line with what they are now, but 4th liners, 6/7 D-men, etc take the real hit.
The two-way contracts will probably go down quite a bit in value also.
Since this would affect all teams across the league, I can't see the Pens being in too much trouble.
If they are, every team will be, so it's a competitive wash.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby holeinone on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:55 pm

It should go down These guys need a reality check. They all make too much money and the quality of the hockey doesn't change whether the cap is 50 mill or 100 mill. They should just learn to live with it and quit the constant "I am worth more than he is" bs. Just go out and play and you will get paid fairly. Instead of wanting that extra dollar all the time. You are making millions boys, how about some of your start to earn it.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:55 pm

Bettman was on his weekly show on XM and he said he's heard these rumors and finds it completely unfounded. He said the cap will barely change, slight rise... slight fall, but 9 million decrease is totally bogus.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:56 pm

columbia wrote:One potential effect:
The top salaries remain relatively in line with what they are now, but 4th liners, 6/7 D-men, etc take the real hit.
The two-way contracts will probably go down quite a bit in value also.
Since this would affect all teams across the league, I can't see the Pens being in too much trouble.
If they are, every team will be, so it's a competitive wash.

That means: More Ziggomania, but at lower prices!
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Just looking at arenas this year, it looks like revenues will go down. There are a LOT of empty seats in places. Look at Atlanta tonight.

If this is true, all I have to say, is "Ha ha" to Tampa Bay.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby DelPen on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:53 pm

cs6687 wrote:$55 million is only $1.8 million less than the current cap. No big loss there. Teams should be okay next year. It's 2010-2011 that I'm cringing about.

Gonchar and Eaton are both off the books then. If we can make $55 milion next year I think we can make $48 the next year if we replace guys like Satan, Sykora, Tank, Gill and Boucher with players from WBS or rely on current player like Kennedy and Gogo to play bigger roles.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:32 pm

Justin Catanzarite wrote:Bettman was on his weekly show on XM and he said he's heard these rumors and finds it completely unfounded. He said the cap will barely change, slight rise... slight fall, but 9 million decrease is totally bogus.

beat me to it.

also mentioned canada accounts for approximately a quarter of league revenue, not the 40% TSN would like to have you believe. The drop in value of the canadian dollar is not the end of the world for the NHL.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:45 pm

NJ5934 wrote:
Justin Catanzarite wrote:Bettman was on his weekly show on XM and he said he's heard these rumors and finds it completely unfounded. He said the cap will barely change, slight rise... slight fall, but 9 million decrease is totally bogus.

beat me to it.

also mentioned canada accounts for approximately a quarter of league revenue, not the 40% TSN would like to have you believe. The drop in value of the canadian dollar is not the end of the world for the NHL.

The real sign will not be this season. It'll be the following season. Most tickets are sold or accounted for already across the league for the most part, especially in strong hockey markets.

If you start seeing season ticket holders decrease after this season, there will be some issues.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:53 pm

I'm pretty sure that was included in the question. Bettman didn't refer to particular seasons, just said he thought the claims were not reasonable and he though any change to the cap would be minimal, and as NJ said... he said the Canadian market accounts for ~25$ of revenue (not 30-40% as we've heard recently). Hopefully the NHL has not increased the cap to directly match the increased revenue. Hopefully they have, for example, increased the cap at 50% of the increased revenue... in order to have some insurance for an off year or two.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby helmespc on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Free agent contracts will decrease. Players wanting a big payout will have to go to the less desirable markets, such as Edmonton, Florida, and Columbus.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby duke66 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:57 pm

NJ5934 wrote:

beat me to it.

...bettman shovelin' the S*** again...i don't believe a word that little puke says...
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:09 pm

helmespc wrote:Free agent contracts will decrease. Players wanting a big payout will have to go to the less desirable markets, such as Edmonton, Florida, and Columbus.

Which means Hossa gets less money.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby helmespc on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:15 pm

Or just wallow in the misery that is Blue Jacket hockey.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:15 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
helmespc wrote:Free agent contracts will decrease. Players wanting a big payout will have to go to the less desirable markets, such as Edmonton, Florida, and Columbus.

Which means Hossa gets less money.

If true, that principle bothers me.

Personal feelings aside (which I'm way beyond), that means that one of the few players and superstars in pro sports to step up and take less for a shot at a championship, will possibly get hosed and lose significantly more than he already has by declining that 9M/yr deal.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Nevermind, it's a gamble he took... sometimes there are consequences... I have corrected myself.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:30 am

I'm waiting for the first pro sport to make a conscious decision to stop these ridiculous salaries, as well as teams lowering ticket prices, due to the economy....
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins