New Arena - No organ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

New Arena - No organ?

Postby DrBoni on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:20 pm

The question was posed in Molinari's recent Q&A about whether or not there will be an organ in the new barn.

The word from the Penguins is that no decision on that -- as well as a number of other issues pertaining to elements in the new arena -- has been made, but that it will be addressed "sometime in the next year." One member of the front office, however, said that even if there is an organ, it likely will be a "secondary" feature.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08325/92 ... nguins.xml

It's not a HUGE deal to most people, I know. But it would be a pretty big blow to the tradition of the game and Penguins hockey. You know it's a home game when you hear that sound. It's distinct and very different than any other arena. Go to any other building and you'll feel it missing. You'll hear another team's organ and it just doesn't sit right.

What other features do you feel fall into this? I think the obvious one is John Barbaro, but that's not leaving until he goes out on his own terms.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: New Arena - No organ?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:15 pm

One thing they need to do with the new arena is have some new "updated" music. I've been listening to the same music at the arena since the 90's.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby purelebo84 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:34 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:One thing they need to do with the new arena is have some new "updated" music. I've been listening to the same music at the arena since the 90's.

I kind of like that. It's a sense of home.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:38 pm

purelebo84 wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:One thing they need to do with the new arena is have some new "updated" music. I've been listening to the same music at the arena since the 90's.

I kind of like that. It's a sense of home.

It's really old and played out. It's EVERY game YEAR after YEAR!!!

When I travel to DC, I go to Crapitals games and I can't recall them playing the same music over and over again like we do.

The Steelers are guilty of this too.

I'm sorry, but Pittsburgh needs a new DJ. Enough is enough of Cotton Eyed Joe, the clap your hands song, Crazytrain, etc.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:38 pm

As long as they film a Sudden Death 2 in the new arena it will be home!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Member on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:07 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I'm sorry, but Pittsburgh needs a new DJ. Enough is enough of Cotton Eyed Joe, the clap your hands song, Crazytrain, etc.

Or Zombie Nation, reminds me of PSU games. Image

I think they've updated their playlist somewhat, they've added eiffel 65-blue along the organs to match the Penguins alternate blue uniforms.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby maudineormsby on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:12 pm

Member wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:I'm sorry, but Pittsburgh needs a new DJ. Enough is enough of Cotton Eyed Joe, the clap your hands song, Crazytrain, etc.

Or Zombie Nation, reminds me of PSU games. Image

I think they've updated their playlist somewhat, they've added eiffel 65-blue along the organs to match the Penguins alternate blue uniforms.

I'm seriously angry about that music choice. EW.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:26 pm

its not a bonafied pens game without cotten eyed joe..... that is all
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:32 pm

For the love of God...No!

No more cotton eyed joe!
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:35 pm

There is no "organ" at Mellon Arena either. There is just some dude that busts a move on a keyboard. Whoopity do.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:43 pm

He breaks it down though. And he's much better than the Blue Line Band ticket-buying fans had to endue during the Rico Fata days.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:45 pm

I don't recall hearing an organist play at the hockey games in over a year or more.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:15 am

netwolf wrote:He breaks it down though. And he's much better than the Blue Line Band ticket-buying fans had to endue during the Rico Fata days.

I would have preferred to go the rest of my life without being reminded about the Blue Line Band. Thanks!
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:28 am

netwolf wrote:He breaks it down though. And he's much better than the Blue Line Band ticket-buying fans had to endue during the Rico Fata days.

blue line band!

wow. they really, really, REALLY sucked
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DrBoni on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:40 am

Oh man, hopefully they learned a lot from the Blue Line Band's failures.

No, it's not a pipe organ. But yes it is an organ, that's a semantic argument. He plays it through a Korg Triton on an organ setting. It's the same idea.

The organ cuts through pretty clearly, even when watch on tv. You may not notice it being there, but you would notice a difference if it wasn't there. Whether it's something that you walk away thinking about or not.

I just think it's something that's been a part of the Pens tradition for a long time, and it was good to see it pick up when Lascheid retired.

I know I've always been sort of in the minority in terms of people who notice it, but it's amazing how many people I run into around here who do. Pens fans who go to a Jackets game often make a comment about how the organ just isn't the same as it is in Pittsburgh. It's just always been done right as opposed to, well...you heard the dude in Atlanta tonight.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:26 am

Give me an example of when the organ has been used recently? I was at the last Philly game and the Sabres game last Saturday. I honestly do not recall hearing the organ.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby letsgopens87 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:31 am

It was already mentioned above, but the organ played "Blue" by Eiffel 65 at the game vs. Buffalo. I only remember this because I remember thinking WTF.

I think the organ is mostly used for Let's Go Pens chants and stuff like that now.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby manicmonday18 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:36 am

Pitts wrote:Give me an example of when the organ has been used recently? I was at the last Philly game and the Sabres game last Saturday. I honestly do not recall hearing the organ.

Like the poster above said "Blue" was played against Buffalo and also before nearly every face off in the offensive zone and nearly every face off in general the "duh duh duh....duh duh duh" organ jingle rings through the arena. You may be so accustomed to it you don't even notice! But it's definately there! In the preseason I remember some distinctly different songs being played and being really impressed. I can't remember what songs, but it was really a cool change...I remember that!
manicmonday18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:38 am

Y'all are probably right. Now, next game I will pay specific attention to it. I'm probably so used to it, it has become silent to me!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby drtofu66 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:39 am

mac5155 wrote:

blue line band!

Who was responsible for that atrocity? I can't even understand HOW someone in management thought a live band that played show-tunes was a good idea. And it wasn't even like they realized what a bad idea it was and took steps to rectify it-- didn't they keep it for more than one season???
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:42 am

When you don't hear it at other arenas, its not because Mellon is unique, its because its older than Jesus.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:42 am

drtofu66 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

blue line band!

Who was responsible for that atrocity? I can't even understand HOW someone in management thought a live band that played show-tunes was a good idea. And it wasn't even like they realized what a bad idea it was and took steps to rectify it-- didn't they keep it for more than one season???

Ahhhhh, I had completely forgot about the blue line band. Good times.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:43 am

It wouldn't have been so bad if they had actually hired a GOOD band with some talent. That band sucked form top to bottom.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:45 am

drtofu66 wrote:

well judging by the product they put on the ice... the blue line band was a good idea.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DrBoni on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:45 am

Just going back to the game highlight videos, you can hear the organ fire up a few times right after a couple of Fleury's saves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFOrikuQUvE

It's less obvious on the Flyer's game reel, but at the end of OT he plays the little tune that's been played at the end of every period at Mellon since I can remember.

Not calling you a liar, but again. It's there. Consciously or subconsciously :)
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins