New Arena - No organ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: New Arena - No organ?

Postby nocera on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Does anyone else really not care about the organ or the music at the new arena? I care about being able to move around to get to my seat, my seat, and the ice surface.

There you go again, arguing...
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:24 pm

nocera wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Does anyone else really not care about the organ or the music at the new arena? I care about being able to move around to get to my seat, my seat, and the ice surface.

I don't know if this is serious or a joke, but i'm gonna respond based on my first instinct:

I know, I can do nothing but argue no matter what the topic.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
nocera wrote:

I don't know if this is serious or a joke, but i'm gonna respond based on my first instinct:

yes you can.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:25 pm

I don't even pay attention to music when I'm at the games. I'm focused almost exclusively on hockey and whether my beer is empty.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:28 pm

bhaw wrote:I don't even pay attention to music when I'm at the games. I'm focused almost exclusively on hockey and whether my beer is empty.

My routine at the game:

4 minutes left in intermision/start of game - Buy a beer
During Play - focus on play
During stoppage - focus on beer
After goal - finish beer

rinse and repeat
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
nocera wrote:

Just a joke, sir.

For me, there's something about a hockey game without an organ that just doesn't feel right. Go see a game in Columbus and listen to their prerecorded "Let's Go BlueJackets" chants and you'll notice the difference.
Of course, they also do that silly "Blue Jackets on the.. POWER PLAY!!!" crap.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:36 pm

nocera wrote:Just a joke, sir.

I can never be sure. People are way too cereal around here, and since they can't grasp my sarcasm, I can't tell who is being sarcastic and who isn't. My virtual world is falling apart lately.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:55 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

I can never be sure. People are way too cereal around here, and since they can't grasp my sarcasm, I can't tell who is being sarcastic and who isn't. My virtual world is falling apart lately.

It's like really, really needing a red Snood, but all you get is a gray one... and just when things can't get any worse, the a-hole robot has a green Snood lined up for you next.

bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:57 pm

bhaw wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

It's like really, really needing a red Snood, but all you get is a gray one... and just when things can't get any worse, the a-hole robot has a green Snood lined up for you next.

I miss that game. Somehow Firestarter by Prodigy would always come on when I was screwed, and I thought part of the song was actually the game warning me that I was in trouble. Alas, it was not.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:04 pm

They don't play "the good ol' hockey game" at mellon arena do they? Those poor, poor blues fans.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:14 pm

They don't play "the good ol' hockey game" at mellon arena do they? Those poor, poor blues fans.

They did a couple years ago when the zambonis resurfaced the ice sometimes. I haven't heard it the last two seasons, though.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:37 pm

when I was at the pens-blues game, I recall blues fans saying, "didn't they stop playing this stupid song last year?"

It's the most annoying song ever
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby isotopes014 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:00 am

how does that one go again? its the ones with the different notes and a tempo right?
isotopes014
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:48 pm

isotopes014 wrote:how does that one go again? its the ones with the different notes and a tempo right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg2G5gf9GHk
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Gaelic War Pipes
Music has ever been close to the heart of the Celt and no music is more evocative of Gaelic culture than the sound of the pipes. Although the bagpipes are today seen as being exclusively Scottish, and the oileán pipes exclusively Irish. It was not always so, however. The war-pipes (píob mór - pipe music is known as An Piobaire Mór), as they were known, were used by both Irish and Scots to instill bravery in battle - the piper led the warriors into battle as can be seen from the engraving opposite drawn in Ireland in the 1570s. The Harp music was often used in a "Brosnachadh Catha" or "Incitement to Battle" before the warriors left their lord's castle on a foray,

Throughout history music is part of sending people off to battle~ good music at the games all can build up the drama of the moments on ice.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:43 pm

I love the organ. In fact, if it were up to me, I would build a real pipe organ into the new arena and ditch the electronic keyboard.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penscup on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:44 pm

They should bring back the guy who used to bring his trumpet to games and play "charge" and a couple other cheers once or twice a game to rev the crowd up. That was awesome the way his sound reverberrated in the arena. The fans loved him and he always waited for a crucial point in the game where we really needed a cheer started. I've always missed him and hoped he would just show up one game with it again out of the blue, but it'd be kinda tough to sneak in a trumpet these days. Didn't they also have a roaming 4 person band that went around the arena playing short songs in the '90s? They weren't quite as good from what I remember.

I certainly agree that I hope they bring the organ to the new building. It brings a lot of atmosphere to the games when used correctly and it won't be the same without it. The crappy blaring music they play 90% of the time sucks and annoys me far more often than it gets me excited.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:55 pm

penscup wrote:They should bring back the guy who used to bring his trumpet to games and play "charge" and a couple other cheers once or twice a game to rev the crowd up. That was awesome the way his sound reverberrated in the arena. The fans loved him and he always waited for a crucial point in the game where we really needed a cheer started. I've always missed him and hoped he would just show up one game with it again out of the blue, but it'd be kinda tough to sneak in a trumpet these days. Didn't they also have a roaming 4 person band that went around the arena playing short songs in the '90s? They weren't quite as good from what I remember.

I certainly agree that I hope they bring the organ to the new building. It brings a lot of atmosphere to the games when used correctly and it won't be the same without it. The crappy blaring music they play 90% of the time sucks and annoys me far more often than it gets me excited.

They should bring in Krazy George.

He used to be around at Nailers games. And was incredibly annoying.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:42 pm

penny lane wrote:
Gaelic War Pipes
Music has ever been close to the heart of the Celt and no music is more evocative of Gaelic culture than the sound of the pipes. Although the bagpipes are today seen as being exclusively Scottish, and the oileán pipes exclusively Irish. It was not always so, however. The war-pipes (píob mór - pipe music is known as An Piobaire Mór), as they were known, were used by both Irish and Scots to instill bravery in battle - the piper led the warriors into battle as can be seen from the engraving opposite drawn in Ireland in the 1570s. The Harp music was often used in a "Brosnachadh Catha" or "Incitement to Battle" before the warriors left their lord's castle on a foray,

Throughout history music is part of sending people off to battle~ good music at the games all can build up the drama of the moments on ice.

but now we have death metal for battle.

no need for an organ.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby doublewinder on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:44 am

Did the re-tune the organ a few years ago?
Since the early part of this decade...it sounds different than it used to.
I liked the older version more.
doublewinder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:12 am

What percentage of teams have organs?
What is the win percentage for the home teams when the organ is played?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:21 pm

Teams that had a fulltime organist for the 2005-2006 regular season:

Coyotes
Capitals
Bluejackets
Kings
Blackhawks
Ducks
Leafs
Senators
Islanders
Sharks
Lightening
Sabres
Pedators
Hurricanes
Wild
Devils
Rangers
Bruins
Penquins
Thrashers
Flames

Put me firmly in the pro-organ camp and get a real one at that. I have only attended one MLB game outside of Three Rivers and that was in Milwaukee about 20 years ago and it felt "empty" without the organ. Just loud clicks to get the chimps in the stands to clap.

For those still around PGH go out a see a game enjoy the great Mr. Lascheid:

http://www.ballparktour.com/Vince_Lascheid.html
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DrBoni on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:38 pm

doublewinder wrote:Did the re-tune the organ a few years ago?
Since the early part of this decade...it sounds different than it used to.
I liked the older version more.

Whenever Vince Lascheid retired from Pens games a few years ago, I'm pretty sure he took his rig with him. From everything I've been able to tell, the current organ setup is just a Korg Triton; which is no slouch of a keyboard, but still not a full organ.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins