New Arena - No organ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: New Arena - No organ?

Postby DrBoni on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:47 am

letsgopens87 wrote:It was already mentioned above, but the organ played "Blue" by Eiffel 65 at the game vs. Buffalo. I only remember this because I remember thinking WTF.

I think the organ is mostly used for Let's Go Pens chants and stuff like that now.

doh! Even I forgot that. I actually had the lyrics as my facebook status because of it.

<not really an eiffel 65 fan, I swear>
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:55 am

DrBoni wrote:Not calling you a liar, but again. It's there. Consciously or subconsciously :)

No worries Dr. Honestly, I pay so much attention to the game action and players on the ice that I truly zone out on everything else. I really even look at the jumbotron much even between breaks. So, I'm sure I'm just not noticing the organ.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 am

There's no way they won't have an organ in the new pad. Especially once this story gets out and fans make their voices heard.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:15 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
netwolf wrote:He breaks it down though. And he's much better than the Blue Line Band ticket-buying fans had to endue during the Rico Fata days.

I would have preferred to go the rest of my life without being reminded about the Blue Line Band. Thanks!

I second that. I swear they sang "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" every freakin' time. :evil:
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:16 am

The no organ at the arena is not just limited to Pens games, how many basbeall teams used to have organs that are now gone instead filled with crappy music.

One of my greatest sports memories was going to yankee stadium with my dad for my first ever game in persion (for any sport) hearing the organ and see the grass it was great. I actually went to the last game at yankee stadium with my dad and was hoping they would break out some organ music, they didn't. Now, they got ride of the organ and have crappy hip hop music blarring, even when they do the Charge cheer its crappy music.

PS i am not a yankees fan, but i live in NJ and my entire family are yankees fan, i dont like the mets either
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby jamespensfan on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:46 am

I am an oldster. I like the organ and Vince Lascheid and would not want it eliminated.

He still plays at PNC Park and he played at Three Rivers. He angered many visiting players over the years. My fav was when he played, "There she is Miss America." for pretty boy Steve Garvey.

This room is probably too young to remember Steve Garvey or Miss America. :D
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:30 am

I've heard of Steve Garvey but have no clue who he played for or what he looks like.

I hope that Cotton Candy Guy will be at the new arena.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby hyzdufan on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:33 pm

At least he'll never be able to play "Lady of Spain" again.
hyzdufan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jamespensfan on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:32 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I've heard of Steve Garvey but have no clue who he played for or what he looks like.

I hope that Cotton Candy Guy will be at the new arena.

He was an LA Dodger in the late 70s and 80s. He was called, "The Father of our Country" by a sportswriter for the many children he fathered while on the road.
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 pm

I go way back following the NHL and I assert that a good organist can better fire up the crowd than ear-splitting recorded music. I generally hear nothing but complaints about loud music by people of my generation, but I guess most young people are okay with it. Organ playing at hockey games is such a tradition that it would be a real shame to see it disappear completely.

I have a theory that loud, shrill music in the arena hurts hockey telecasts and radiocasts. That is because it forces broadcast engineers to keep the crowd mikes turned down, so that the music does not drown out the announcers’ voices. That makes the broadcasts seem like they are coming from a soundproof booth. Thus, the listener or watcher cannot “feel” the excitement of the crowd. It’s a shame!

A good organ can be played with high bass and low treble so that it still booms out the music, but does not interfere as much with the sound of the human voice.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:17 pm

At the Wild games, they have a band that plays during the intermissions, up in one of the corners of the arenas. It's a nice touch I think and adds to the great atmosphere at their arena. Mario etc traveled to Minn to check out that arena, maybe they'll incorporated that at the new arena?

And I agree with some other posters about playing the same goofy songs - every arena I attend, they play the same songs over and over. Do the players & fans really get pumped by hearing "welcome to the jungle" at least once in every game?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ryan21081 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:00 pm

I agree that Cotton Eye joe needs to be canned and that it doesnt need to be played every game. It sure made the Swedes go crazy but only because its a Swedish song.
I dont mind hearing the Clarks at the arena because that makes me feel at home. Its corny but I had chills down my spine at Hartwell arena in Helsinki and then again at Globen Arena hearing the Clarks so far away from home. I also loved the PGH advertisement showing many parts of the city.
I think they could use a few new songs. I have noticed on occasion, especialy saturdays, that they play some different stuff like Social Distortion "Story of my Life" and "Prison Bound" when we get called for a penalty which I love because I am a huge fan.

Hopefully the new arena keeps its Pittsburgh Feel the right changes are made to make it more modern as the atmosphere is concerned.
ryan21081
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby isotopes014 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:57 pm

pittsburghers have the worst... i mean worst taste in music... worst radio ever. this translates into the music selection in the arena.

no organ in a hockey rink is like having no blood and teeth on the ice..... its just not quite hockey.
and they can't just pipe in a recording of "what do you say to a drunken sailor" you need an organist to changle the last measure in the music to "lets go pens"
isotopes014
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:00 pm

isotopes014 wrote:pittsburghers have the worst... i mean worst taste in music... worst radio ever. this translates into the music selection in the arena.

no organ in a hockey rink is like having no blood and teeth on the ice..... its just not quite hockey.
and they can't just pipe in a recording of "what do you say to a drunken sailor" you need an organist to changle the last measure in the music to "lets go pens"

Those 2 comments really have nothing to do with one another.

And I really wouldn't categorize just Pittsburghers as having 0 musical taste. Most of America eats up the crap that is served to us on channels like B94 and KissFM.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby isotopes014 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:05 pm

you will only hear ahh leah in a pittsburgh stadium.

i hear alot of people come in town to western pa talk about how bad the radio is. there are certain songs you hear all the time just in pittsburgh (this is in any town) but it seems like pittsburgh has the worst from what i hear from anyone visiting the city.
isotopes014
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby manicmonday18 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:23 pm

I am apparently in the minority because I love the music played at Pens games. I give them credit with breaking a few new songs onto the Pittsburgh scene in their highlight packages....."Club Foot" by Kasabian in that intro video last year was a great new song I never heard before and now I've seen it in a few national ads and during NFL Today on CBS! I love the 80s and 90s rock as well. I guess I am accustomed to it and just love that type of music. I'd take "Crazy Train" and the Spin Doctors over that junk that is played at Steeler games any day...and I'm 22! At Heinx Field last night I heard like 8 of the worst songs in the world, #1 of which is that "We Ready" chant by DMX! Blah! The only song that I enjoy at Steeler games (other than "Renegade, which would be sacriledge to not worship) is that new M.I.A. song they play every time we kick off after a score.

I hope when the new arena opens the music remains in the 90's and everything else in the building is light years in the future!
manicmonday18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:39 pm

Toss my heart at center ice, I'm an "organ" donor. Won't sound good as it splats, but what the heck.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:42 pm

"organ music" should never be played.

I don't mind an organ for chants, but I also don't really care if it's not there.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:51 pm

I like the organ and it should stay. Any old time hockey fan knows that organs are pretty much a staple in a hockey arena. The fans in Chicago were going apecrap when the organ from the prior arena wasn't going to be in the new one.

My point is, the music at the Pens games are complete crap. It's a joke between my wife and I and our friends. "Everybody clap yo' hands..." *clap clap clap clap clap clap clap*

Give me a break. It's the SAME songs every FREAKING game!!!!!!!!

When we go to Crapitals games, we see Ovy and other players having fun/reacting to the music and so do the fans.

All I'm saying is, the music is probably my least enjoyable aspect about going to a Pens game. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they have everything else great for their fans except this aspect. It's like they have a trained monkey sitting up there with the same CD for every game.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby penny lane on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:59 pm

One of my earliest penguin memories is hearing "super mario" played by vince lasheid. That meant something.
I love music, but I'm not sure what type is the best for hockey games. The non lyrical compositions can be as meaningful as a rock song. Maybe they can have fans pay to have their favorite song heard during the games at the new igloo.

blue line band, talented musicans on their own, but not suited to provide hockey game atmosphere.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:14 am

The organ needs to go the way of the knit sweaters.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby hbkrulez1 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:18 pm

Does anyone know if the horn will go along with the new arena? Or do you think they will get one of those really crappy fog horns?
hbkrulez1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eisbahren on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:12 pm

How many of the current hockey arenas have organs?
Eisbahren

Postby nocera on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:17 pm

Jim wrote:The organ needs to go the way of the knit sweaters.

I disagree. The organ playing along with "Lets Go Pens" is way better than somebody pressing a button initiating the prerecorded music.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:19 pm

Does anyone else really not care about the organ or the music at the new arena? I care about being able to move around to get to my seat, my seat, and the ice surface.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins