Pens at Thrashers Grades

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens at Thrashers Grades

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:28 am

Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pens at Thrashers Grades

Postby KG on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:30 am

I agree with Zigomanis and the power play. He should only be out there for a big draw in the offensive zone and then go right to the bench to get Sykora/Staal/Satan out there...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:33 am

Yeah, that no-call on Kennedy.... I feel crappy about that. I mean that was a HUGE no-call. If we could've won by another goal it wouldn't have been so bothersome. Thought the reffing for the most part was pretty decent last night.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:45 am

gill was particularly brutal last night, i agree. way too much sloppy play from the D. how many partial breakaways/2-1s/3-2s were there?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:47 am

Ilya Kovalcuk had chances, but more often than not, I don't see a committment to trying to be the best. And yes that means, even for a bad team with hardly any fans around. If audtioning for the pens~he failed.

IF anybody knows Coach Therrien , it is Max Talbot. So he probably wasn't shocked at being lifted from Sid's line. PO'd for sure, but he can deal.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:51 am

What were your thoughts on the Letang hit?

I don't think it was dirty. But it should have been an interference call definitely...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelhammer on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:17 am

Boucher looked really bad on one shift where he pretty much single handedly gave the Thrashers two golden scoring chances. luckily the remembered they were the Thrashers and couldn't capitalize. It was really bad though.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the riddler on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:19 am

D for Malkin is a little extreme considering he set up the game winning goal and really didn't play that bad of a game.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WildKaper on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:09 pm

I think having Gill and Scuderi paired at even strength does both a disservice. Neither can skate all that well. Why not put Gill with Letang and Orpik with Scuderi. It would allow both Letang and Orpik to float around more (Letang for Offense, Orpik for big hits), and it would allow Gill and Scuderi to sit deeper in the zone and skate less, which plays into their favor more.

I'd also give Gogo a night off to watch the game from a different angle, and put Eaton with Boucher to allow Eaton to play a bit.
WildKaper
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jmh470 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Malkin deserves an A for his pass on the winner. Wayne Gretzky would be proud of that one.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby maudineormsby on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 pm

I don't think that was a no call on Kennedy - do you call a trip just because there's contact skate to skate? If not then it wasn't a leg whip or slew foot or anything, so what would be called?

But I double agree on the Letang interference call, so it's all good.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rohit on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:19 pm

KG wrote:What were your thoughts on the Letang hit?

I don't think it was dirty. But it should have been an interference call definitely...

i thought it was a completely fantastic hit. the puck was right there and i do not think it was interference at all
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:26 pm

It was borderline interference. Some refs definitely would have called that. It was also pretty dangerous. Still, it's nice to see that out of Letang. He's very quickly become a well-rounded defenseman.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rohit on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:29 pm

Henry Hank wrote:It was borderline interference. Some refs definitely would have called that. It was also pretty dangerous. Still, it's nice to see that out of Letang. He's very quickly become a well-rounded defenseman.

speaking of that hit, does anyone know where i can find a video of it with the replay?

the nhl doesnt have the replay on their highlights
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:46 pm

I honestly do not think Kennedy tripped that dman at all! He was trying to get to the puck by squeezing between the dman and the boards and the dman simply fell on contact. I want Kennedy to play that way all the time!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bathgate on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:11 pm

"Hockey in Atlanta: F" ---- It's not fair to criticize attendance in a city that's never had a good team. The Pens' attendance was not good during the many years the team stunk on the ice. Many said Pittsburgh did not deserve an NHL team. If you want to criticize the Devil's attendance, go right ahead.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:12 pm

Bathgate wrote:"Hockey in Atlanta: F" ---- It's not fair to criticize attendance in a city that's never had a good team. The Pens' attendance was not good during the many years the team stunk on the ice. Many said Pittsburgh did not deserve an NHL team. If you want to criticize the Devil's attendance, go right ahead.

The Devils are an awful team.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:38 pm

Pitts wrote:I honestly do not think Kennedy tripped that dman at all! He was trying to get to the puck by squeezing between the dman and the boards and the dman simply fell on contact. I want Kennedy to play that way all the time!

I don't think he did either. Hainsey should be ashamed for going down so easily.

I thought the Letang hit was interference. Only because it seemed like White wanted nothing to do with the puck. Still, he hadn't played the puck and I don't think it was close enough to him to lay him out.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:41 pm

regarding that hit, i didn't think Letang had it in him to deliver a KO like that. also, i didn't think he had it in him to quit being an offensive defenseman. at least he is developing though.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:49 pm

steelhammer wrote:regarding that hit, i didn't think Letang had it in him to deliver a KO like that.

I have been to several games this season so far and Letang delivers quite a few solid hits and checks nearly every game. People like to think he's soft, but he is far, far from it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:05 pm

My only complaint about the grades, if you give Free Cookies an A for his hit on Kolzov, you have to give Letang an A+ for his hit on white. I mean white tried to stand up twice and he couldn't, they had to stop play because letang hit him so well it knocked him senseless
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Eismann on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks, MCM, and welcome back.

You might want to add another category for nutball announcer call of the game; something like "SteigErrey Lol Wut?"

I kept laugh-wretching everytime they both pointed out EC's great effort and "that's what you get from EC!!!" Face it, goofs, he can't score with an Amex card in a cat house.

Another game when it looked like the Pens lacked the drive, then they win anyhow and wind up owning the majority of the action.

When this team decides it's time to get serious, the Eastern Conference will suffer.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:27 pm

darkstar57 wrote:My only complaint about the grades, if you give Free Cookies an A for his hit on Kolzov, you have to give Letang an A+ for his hit on white. I mean white tried to stand up twice and he couldn't, they had to stop play because letang hit him so well it knocked him senseless

Cooke's was legal; Letang's was not.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:14 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:My only complaint about the grades, if you give Free Cookies an A for his hit on Kolzov, you have to give Letang an A+ for his hit on white. I mean white tried to stand up twice and he couldn't, they had to stop play because letang hit him so well it knocked him senseless

Cooke's was legal; Letang's was not.

Still knocked him senseless though
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby zog on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:18 pm

Nice reference to Anders Hedberg. But did I miss something? Wasn't Errey talking about Johan Hedberg, the Moose? Anders Hedberg didn't have a nickname, outside of "Andy" — and no one in the locker room called him "Swedish Express". I may not have seen the whole thing. So what's up with the Anders Hedberg reference?
zog
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins