2006 Draft revisited

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2006 Draft revisited

Postby The Current One on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Based on their careers thus far, how would you rate the top five from that year? Here's my order:

1. Johnathan Toews - Captain of the Hawks, and tremendous hockey-sense.
2. Erik Johnson - Before getting injured, he was beginning to show his worth as the #1 from that draft.
3. Jordan Staal - Inconsistent to this point, but in terms of pure upside, I think he has the most out of all.
4. Phil Kessel - Starting to turn into the sniper that everyone thought he would become.
5. Nicklas Backstrom - Puts up the points with Ovechkin, and a great passer, but I don't think he has the upside for a true #1 center.

Five years from now, if Staal reaches his potential, there's no doubt in my mind that he will be the class of the draft.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 2006 Draft revisited

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:39 pm

What if Jonathan Towes reaches his potential? Or, did that already happen? What if Backstrom comes into his own? IDK, maybe he's done.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Yeah it's a little early to rank these 5 players still. Especially since Erik Johnson has played only 69 games...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:46 pm

I think all four of the top forwards are coming into their own. They all have their strengths. Staal's point totals are pretty comparable to the other guys, but keep in mind his contributions on the PK and defensively. Until Backstrom blew up, or maybe more accurately until Ovechkin blew up recently, it was actually Brassard and Little who were showing up the rest of that draft class.

I think you might be right that Staal has the most upside just given his size and his smarts. Staal could develop into a power forward, Selke level two-way forward. That's definitely a very rare player, and also a different complement to Crosby and Malkin.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tybrus on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:04 pm

I think in terms of upside you still have to say that Johnson has the most. The kid hasn't even gotten in a full season yet and has a good chance to be that blueline anchor of 10 years that teams dream about. Not to take anything away from the rest, because I think at least Staal and Toews are going to be awesome, but if we were picking to start a team, I would take Johnson.
Tybrus
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:11 pm

Yeah, I'd say a guy with number one defensive potential is almost always going to be the guy with the highest upside. Aside from a Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin type of superstar, a stud defenseman is probably the most valuable commodity around. From a Pens perspective, I don't really look at Johnson, though, because the Pens were never in the picture for drafting him. It makes more sense to look at the big four forwards because those are the guys the Pens were in a position to get.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins