Letang should be on the first PP, not Gogo

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Letang should be on the first PP, not Gogo

Postby Noise on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:51 pm

I'm really tired of seeing Gogo get beat on the blue line. That's why.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Letang should be on the first PP, not Gogo

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 pm

I don't think Letang is confident enough in his offense or assertive enough for that spot. Goligoski makes some mistakes but he's a more dynamic player. There's Boucher. I still want Malkin on the point (even when Gonchar's back) so maybe Boucher and Malkin is a good compromise.

I wouldn't mind seeing them scale back Goligoski's playing time a bit. He was leading the team in ice time for a few games, although Boucher seems to have cut into that. He's got plenty of upside, but he's definitely making rookie mistakes out there. Even though he's done pretty well, I think I'd send him down when Whitney comes back. Of course, that's if there's no injuries, which is too big an if to even assume right now.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:01 pm

I think Goligoski can develop into a top notch offensive defensman eventually. I think when his confidence is very high he gets a little careless with the puck...Can't do that in our system...

I like Letang's game. His offense is coming. I would probably do what HH said and just got with Malkin-Boucher on the points. That 2 big rocket shots on the point...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Letang does need to shoot more, granted, but I do think having to RH d-men up there opens some interesting posibilities, like the pass to the LW and across the box to the half boards for a slapper.

Also Letang can do the back door play, and the Pens could always use player movement to get Malkin to the point.

Also, the best way for Letang to learn confidence is by doing IMO.
Last edited by Noise on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby maudineormsby on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:08 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't think Letang is confident enough in his offense or assertive enough for that spot. Goligoski makes some mistakes but he's a more dynamic player. There's Boucher. I still want Malkin on the point (even when Gonchar's back) so maybe Boucher and Malkin is a good compromise.

I agree with this.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:10 pm

I want Boucher there, since he's not afraid to let rip. But, really, with the way the team's doing, we should probably trade them all.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:11 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:I want Boucher there, since he's not afraid to let rip. But, really, with the way the team's doing, we should probably trade them all.

I didn't say I don't want Boucher on the first PP. I want both of them on the first PP
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:17 pm

I don't like Malkin on the point and last nights PP goal by sykora proves why. Does Malkin have a cannon of a shot yes he does, but having him up front on the power play allows him to be more creative, when he is on the point he is just looking to shoot, when he is playing up front he does more with the puck, he still can shoot from up front too, but it makes our power play less predictable, the last few games malkin was on the point, the PK was cheating to malkin and we couldn't make them pay for it
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby dagny on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:44 pm

I can't help but wonder if it's occurred to any of the people who compare and/or criticize GoGo for his "gaffes" and the positions he place in that maybe he's being put in these positions so he LEARNS how to be successful there.

I think he's done quite well considering his NHL experience level and the circumstances he's faced. Of course LeTang is going to look better than him right now. Letang's had more time and experience at this level, including playoffs. I love LeTang, but I've also been surprisingly impressed with GoGo at this stage.
Last edited by dagny on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:45 pm

darkstar57 wrote:I don't like Malkin on the point and last nights PP goal by sykora proves why. Does Malkin have a cannon of a shot yes he does, but having him up front on the power play allows him to be more creative, when he is on the point he is just looking to shoot, when he is playing up front he does more with the puck, he still can shoot from up front too, but it makes our power play less predictable, the last few games malkin was on the point, the PK was cheating to malkin and we couldn't make them pay for it

malkin was on the point during the sykora goal, and the reason his pass was effective was because he went down low from the point, creating movement and defensive confusion.

but anyhow, gogo is better at the point right now. letang isn't an accurate passer right now (sorry, it's true) and can't keep the puck in as well as goligoski. these are big problems for a point man. give tanger the year to get his confidence up. he doesn't have it yet.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:54 pm

dagny wrote:I can't help but wonder if it's occurred to any of the people who compare and/or criticize GoGo for his "gaffes" and the positions he place in that maybe he's being put in these positions so he LEARNS how to be successful there.

I think he's done quite well considering his NHL experience level and the circumstances he's faced. Of course LeTang is going to look better than him right now. Letang's had more time and experience at this level, including playoffs. I love LeTang, but I've also being surprisingly impressed with GoGo at this stage.

They're definitely not afraid to sink or swim with young players and I like that. They've had far more successes than failures in putting large load on a young player's shoulders. I can live with Goligoski or Letang learning on the job for now. As the team gets closer to the playoffs and Whitney and Gonchar get back, I think priorities start to change. Definitely in the playoffs, it has to be about now, which is why I'd hesitate to even dress Goligoski for the playoffs unless he improves significantly by then.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:05 pm

agreed. Letang just donst shoot enough.

Gogo gave up that 1 horrible turnover on the blue line. almost led to a goal if Crosby didnt get back.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:23 pm

Henry Hank wrote:They're definitely not afraid to sink or swim with young players and I like that. They've had far more successes than failures in putting large load on a young player's shoulders. I can live with Goligoski or Letang learning on the job for now. As the team gets closer to the playoffs and Whitney and Gonchar get back, I think priorities start to change. Definitely in the playoffs, it has to be about now, which is why I'd hesitate to even dress Goligoski for the playoffs unless he improves significantly by then.

It's funny how injuries have enabled them to do this.

If Malkin doesn't get whacked by LeClair...does Staal go back to juniors?

If Gonchar and Whitney don't go down early...does Goligoski play in the AHL this year?

If they can get the record they have now while letting Gogo gain experience, I'm all for it. There's no downside. Plus, who knows what he'll be like in March and April if he's playing large minutes through the season?
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:01 pm

shmenguin wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:I don't like Malkin on the point and last nights PP goal by sykora proves why. Does Malkin have a cannon of a shot yes he does, but having him up front on the power play allows him to be more creative, when he is on the point he is just looking to shoot, when he is playing up front he does more with the puck, he still can shoot from up front too, but it makes our power play less predictable, the last few games malkin was on the point, the PK was cheating to malkin and we couldn't make them pay for it

malkin was on the point during the sykora goal, and the reason his pass was effective was because he went down low from the point, creating movement and defensive confusion.

but anyhow, gogo is better at the point right now. letang isn't an accurate passer right now (sorry, it's true) and can't keep the puck in as well as goligoski. these are big problems for a point man. give tanger the year to get his confidence up. he doesn't have it yet.

Actually Bobby Boucher and Letang where the point man on that power play, the announcers on the thrashers feed even made note of it
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Why So Serious? on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:04 pm

Gogo's ability to keep the puck from going outside the blueline during the powerplay more than warrants him to keep the job on the top unit. And the great part is, he is finally learning to shoot the puck and the shoot the puck often. Keep Goligoski where he's at. He's gonna be fine.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cojac on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Boucher-Malkin
Letang-Goligoski
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:14 pm

darkstar57 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Actually Bobby Boucher and Letang where the point man on that power play, the announcers on the thrashers feed even made note of it

bah. i knew they were together once, but forgot it was that PP. my bad.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Save for the recent and noteworthy fumbles, I think Gogo's done quite well on the point. I very much like his lateral mobility and drive. Seems to pinch and hold well for a young dman. Don't have the stats, but it seems like he's got more shots than KfnL. I think Kris is still a bit too conservative, but I'd rather have that and a comfort level than recklessness.

Boucher's next goal on the PP will go through the netting.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:42 pm

PenguinSteve-o wrote:agreed. Letang just donst shoot enough.

Gogo gave up that 1 horrible turnover on the blue line. almost led to a goal if Crosby didnt get back.

He's given up a lot more than that. He seems to do it on a fairly regular basis.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:44 pm

Personally I'd just really like Malkin and Crosby to be free to move on and off the point during a PP.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby burghsportsguys on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:53 pm

Malkin on the point on the PP is deadly, that shot is incredible. You have Crosby on the right wing boards as the creator and Malkin as the triggerman. Our biggest issue that the other guys - Sykora, Satan, etc - don't move around enough. For crying out loud, there's usually no one in front of the goalie, but there is someone below the goal line.

Malkin can also create from the point, but you have to have him there as the big shooter.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins