Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Thrashers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Thrashers

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:43 pm

Credit to Kicksave for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Thrashers, a 3-2 win

Something good: Dany Sabourin. Second goal aside, he played an outstanding game, especially in the third period. His play allowed the Pens to remain in position to get a win with a late goal. That's the kind of play you need when one of your main guys (Fleury) is out with an injury.

Where they need improvement: Accuracy. Nothing major stuck out to me, so I'm going with something minor. The Pens put 31 shots on Ondrej Pavelec which is a good amount, but they missed the net 12 times. To quote my coach in Be A Pro mode in NHL09 "You've got to make the goalie make a save."

Something good: Sidney Crosby. The three point night was obviously great to see. Though I still don't think he's at 100%, the way he was skating was an even bigger plus. His agility was pretty good, and while the top-end burst he normally has wasn't there, he was much better in that regard than in any game in recent memory. Hopefully, that's a sign he's closing in on full health.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Thrashers

Postby westside on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:46 pm

Good: Crosby!

Need Improvement: Don't play in Atlanta anymore :)

Good: Cooke blowing up Kozlov (sp?) Great hit!
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:49 pm

good: sid was back in a big way last night

bad: way too many breakdowns in the defensive transition game. lots of near breakaways and odd-man rushes for hotlanta

good: physicality. orpik and letang are both way ahead of the curve with their hitting. and cooke is a monster.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Good: Sabu.

Needs improvment: I thought the pens played kinda flat and were lucky that atlanta stinks so bad.

Good: I think I saw satan make a phsyical play on the puck that created a turnover and a very nice scoring opportunity
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby isotopes014 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:16 pm

i hate family guy
isotopes014
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:18 pm

isotopes014 wrote:i hate family guy

I think you're missing the spirit of this thread.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:52 pm

Something Good: I think this is the first time ever that Sabu has had good games in consecutive starts. Some huge saves made down the stretch.

Where They Need Improvement: Too many odd-man rushes given up at critical times. Pens could easily have lost this one.

Something Good: BUT, they didn't, and one of the constant marks of a good team is that they win even when they play an average game.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:19 am

Good: EC still can't score. Plenty of opps that he just EC-ed. I miss him like I miss Colby, which is nil.

Bad: Kinda weird here. They looked, not disinterested, but slow to start, like they were waiting for something. Didn't amount to much, because they still wound up with more shots and winning, but it didn't look like they came out of the gate ready to play. Meh.

Good: Sabu. EC's Happy Gilmore shooting aside, Sabu was very tight in net. Whereas I thought he stayed high too long in the MIN game, looked like he was cutting the available space down vs. ATL.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins