NHL making noise....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NHL making noise....

Postby bringitonhome on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:30 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl,123904

I wanted to ask a question....

What are the chances of the NHL making its way back to espn? How long is the contract with vs?
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: NHL making noise....

Postby scals37 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:34 pm

i dont know if the nhl has to be exclusively broadcast through versus and nbc.... i mean the nfl is on ESPN, CBS, and now the NFL network.... the NBA is on ESPN and TNT right? i cant see why ESPN wouldnt carry a game or two per week after the monday and tuesday slots by versus
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:40 pm

Bettman commented this on XM this week. He said that the league was very happy with Versus, that ESPN didn't have the time or ability to showcase the NHL, and that he anticipated remaining on Versus for the rest of the contract, at least, which goes for another 2-3 years. He essentially ruled out any return to ESPN in the short term.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bringitonhome on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:42 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Bettman commented this on XM this week. He said that the league was very happy with Versus, that ESPN didn't have the time or ability to showcase the NHL, and that he anticipated remaining on Versus for the rest of the contract, at least, which goes for another 2-3 years. He essentially ruled out any return to ESPN in the short term.

I just miss Gary Thorne.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby scals37 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:43 pm

i bet eventually espn will be wanting to knock on the NHLs door with some desperation eventually
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Nice article.

I wish mark cuban would buy a team, he creates a lot of buzz himself. He'd draw a lot of attention to the sport and knows how to market very well.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:44 pm

scals37 wrote:i bet eventually espn will be wanting to knock on the NHLs door with some desperation eventually

ESPN will never be coming to the NHL with "desperation".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:44 pm

czwalga wrote:Nice article.

I wish mark cuban would buy a team, he creates a lot of buzz himself. He'd draw a lot of attention to the sport and knows how to market very well.

I can see it now, he would be down on the bench screaming and yelling. He would probably have skates on just in case as well.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
scals37 wrote:i bet eventually espn will be wanting to knock on the NHLs door with some desperation eventually

ESPN will never be coming to the NHL with "desperation".

Gigantic financial companies will never collapse.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Why? It was said in this article the NBA is still beating the NHL by a nice margin in TV viewership. ESPN is television. Why would they knock down the door for something no body is watching on TV?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:54 pm

The man may be in jail.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:02 pm

People complain about everything to do with the NHL but I think the product is better now than I can ever remember it. There's a lot of great young talent taking over, success has been distributed more evenly across the league, and while scoring still isn't where it was and most likely never will be, the game is far more exciting to watch on any given night than it was in the early part of the decade.

The NHL doesn't have the scandals that the other major professional sports in this country have. There's no referee betting scandals, there's no steroid scandals, there's no cheating scandals, there's no criminal image. The NHL has some fresh faces that have taken the spot light, and we haven't seen their best yet. Imagine what Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, and others will be doing when they're 25.

I actually don't mind the NHL on Versus that much either. Versus will never be ESPN, but it's an emerging channel just like the NHL is somewhat of an emerging league. As far as I know, more people are getting Versus by year, and ratings have been improving. The Pens/Red Wings game a couple weeks ago tied their ratings record. Versus is at least emerging as an alternative sports channel. They've got the NHL, they're dipping into college football, they've got MMA, which is another emerging sport. I like that the NHL is on a channel that can dedicate two nights a week to its programming. Perhaps the ideal situation would be for the NHL to be on both ESPN and Versus once the current contract is up. Especially since ESPN has NBA now, there's no way the NHL would ever get the attention it deserves if it's exclusively on ESPN.

It's always going to be an uphill battle for the NHL in the US. It's not part of the culture. Most kids don't grow up playing hockey here. It's just not feasible for a variety of reasons. There are plenty of parts of the country that have little exposure to hockey and thus don't care about it, which is the purpose of expanding to southern markets. It's going to be a slow build but they're at least headed in the right direction.

Another thing that gets ignored is Canada. People look at the NHL as a small organization compared to the NBA or MLB or whatever, but that's just in the US. NHL is ingrained in Canadian culture the way the NFL is here. I think Mark Cuban made the point one time that if you look at the total ratings for NHL games, including both US and Canada, and compare that to what the NBA gets as a whole, the NHL looks stronger.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:02 pm

ESPN wanted the NBA and got it, as i said in another post the NBA makes more money for them but alot.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby columbia on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:02 pm

newarenanow wrote:

The man may be in jail.

Hey, Ted Stevens was nearly re-elected to the Senate.
Anything is possible in this wonderful country. :roll:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:03 pm

newarenanow wrote:

Why? It was said in this article the NBA is still beating the NHL by a nice margin in TV viewership. ESPN is television. Why would they knock down the door for something no body is watching on TV?

A part of the problem is that not everyone gets the vs channel. My cousin lives in the state if Indiana and the only way he can get the channel is to pay for it. Thats a shame.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:08 pm

What's MMA?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PittPensFan on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:09 pm

Guinness wrote:What's MMA?

Mixed Martial Arts.
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The NHL doesn't have the scandals that the other major professional sports in this country have. There's no referee betting scandals, there's no steroid scandals, there's no cheating scandals, there's no criminal image. The NHL has some fresh faces that have taken the spot light, and we haven't seen their best yet. Imagine what Crosby, Malkin,

While i do agree with that, we are not without our own scandals, Jagr loved to gamle and i believed he owed money to some bookies/sports book in europe. The whole thing with the gambling ring with greztkys wife, we do have scandals they just don't get the kind of attention ebcause we are not one of the top three sports
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby marek on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:13 pm

Mark Cuban is a punk. He knows nothing about hockey and would be worse than Baldsilly as an owner.
If he had any clue/value he would have been a member of Mario's present ownership group.
besides, his net worth is a fraction of what it once was, and he probably couldn't put together a deal to buy an NHL franchise right now (let alone the freaking Cubs).

He's all talk. No moxie.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:16 pm

marek wrote:

Mark Cuban is a punk. He knows nothing about hockey and would be worse than Baldsilly as an owner.
If he had any clue/value he would have been a member of Mario's present ownership group.
besides, his net worth is a fraction of what it once was, and he probably couldn't put together a deal to buy an NHL franchise right now (let alone the freaking Cubs).

He's all talk. No moxie.

Prior to this year, he has turned the Dallas Mavericks from one of the worst teams in the NBA into one of the top teams in the league. His net worth is around 2.2 Billion. Until this scandel, he was one of the finalist to by the Cubs, which is worth a ton more than any NHL team. And the reason he is not in Lemieux's group is because he wanted control and a larger percentage of ownership, which Mario did not agree to.

I don't like the guy, but you can't dispute the facts.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:20 pm

newarenanow wrote:
marek wrote:

He's all talk. No moxie.

Prior to this year, he has turned the Dallas Mavericks from one of the worst teams in the NBA into one of the top teams in the league. His net worth is around 2.2 Billion. Until this scandel, he was one of the finalist to by the Cubs, which is worth a ton more than any NHL team. And the reason he is not in Lemieux's group is because he wanted control and a larger percentage of ownership, which Mario did not agree to.

exactly.....scandal
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:23 pm

You haven't heard about his insider trading scandal have you?
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:25 pm

If Baldsilly can't get an NHL team, Mark Cuban isn't even in the discussion.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:25 pm

bringitonhome wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
marek wrote:

He's all talk. No moxie.

exactly.....scandal

I also spelled buy wrong. :oops:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:If Baldsilly can't get an NHL team, Mark Cuban isn't even in the discussion.

Baldsilly could get a team, he just hasn't because he wants to move it and circumvent NHL rules.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins