NHL making noise....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NHL making noise....

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:27 pm

marek wrote:
czwalga wrote:Nice article.

I wish mark cuban would buy a team, he creates a lot of buzz himself. He'd draw a lot of attention to the sport and knows how to market very well.

Mark Cuban is a punk. He knows nothing about hockey and would be worse than Baldsilly as an owner.
If he had any clue/value he would have been a member of Mario's present ownership group.
besides, his net worth is a fraction of what it once was, and he probably couldn't put together a deal to buy an NHL franchise right now (let alone the freaking Cubs).

He's all talk. No moxie.

That's a lot of hate'n.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:29 pm

newarenanow wrote:
marek wrote:

I wish mark cuban would buy a team, he creates a lot of buzz himself. He'd draw a lot of attention to the sport and knows how to market very well.

Mark Cuban is a punk. He knows nothing about hockey and would be worse than Baldsilly as an owner.
If he had any clue/value he would have been a member of Mario's present ownership group.
besides, his net worth is a fraction of what it once was, and he probably couldn't put together a deal to buy an NHL franchise right now (let alone the freaking Cubs).

He's all talk. No moxie.

Prior to this year, he has turned the Dallas Mavericks from one of the worst teams in the NBA into one of the top teams in the league. His net worth is around 2.2 Billion. Until this scandel, he was one of the finalist to by the Cubs, which is worth a ton more than any NHL team. And the reason he is not in Lemieux's group is because he wanted control and a larger percentage of ownership, which Mario did not agree to.

I don't like the guy, but you can't dispute the facts.

I lived in Dallas a few years ago for work for about 7 months and everyone loves him down there as an owner, he did everything he could do to make his players happy, not just in terms of contracts, he basically sunk a ton of money into their facilities as a whole. New locker with everything you could want it, new work out rooms, new training rooms. He also did alot for fans in general also. He gave away free tickets to kids. Is he a scumb bad yeah, but he cares about his franshice, thats what you want out of an owner.

While maybe not as crazy as Cuban, i think our ownership is doing a great job, look at Burkle, he is turning into a regular puck head, he sent his private plane down to pick up hossa last year and allowed basically helped Staal out with the same thing when he lost his grandfather. I also believe he showed up at Sid's birthday party this year.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:32 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:If Baldsilly can't get an NHL team, Mark Cuban isn't even in the discussion.

Baldsilly could get a team, he just hasn't because he wants to move it and circumvent NHL rules.

I don't think that Baldsilly is really endearing himself to the Board of Governors though. He's feuded with them, threatened to sue the league, and made up rumors that the Canadiens were for sale. He might get blacklisted from ever owning a team.

Of course money has a way of changing people's minds.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:34 pm

PittPensFan wrote:
Guinness wrote:What's MMA?

Mixed Martial Arts.

Oh. Kinda like LAME... which stands for "lame".
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ossa on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:18 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:If Baldsilly can't get an NHL team, Mark Cuban isn't even in the discussion.

I have, i'd be suprised he if went to jail.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Eismann wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
scals37 wrote:i bet eventually espn will be wanting to knock on the NHLs door with some desperation eventually

ESPN will never be coming to the NHL with "desperation".

Gigantic financial companies will never collapse.

Sports will someday cease to be popular.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:52 pm

Though I appreciate Versus dedication to hockey, I can't stand watching them, especially when a Flyers game is on. You may as well be listening to a Philthadelphia broadcast.

I miss NHL Tonight and the games on ESPN.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:56 pm

I don't mind Versus, but I can't stand Keith Jones. He's an ex-Flyer, lives in Philly, has a radio show in Philly, and he's going to be impartial?? I don't think so.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:17 am

newarenanow wrote:

Baldsilly could get a team, he just hasn't because he wants to move it and circumvent NHL rules.

At this point, call the man out. Just say that he's a sleezy SOB who is going to move a team to Toronto -- and then let him do it. I know multiple teams who would benefit from the TO market over the craphole they're playing in now...

As for ESPN (as mentioned earlier) Bettman touched on this in the past week or so on the NHL hour. Mostly, that the NHL essentially helped launch espn2 with the hockey coverage, and that ESPN now has all the time for Baseball and Basketball. He's quite happy with VS and NBC -- and to be brutally honest, so am I. I know that VS doesn't get to everyone, but it's expanding. I'm finally able to get it and I love the NHL coverage. The broadcasters aren't the greatest -- I just want to watch the game.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:30 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Sports will someday cease to be popular.

Philadelphia will one day be livable.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:49 am

Guinness wrote:
PittPensFan wrote:
Guinness wrote:What's MMA?

Mixed Martial Arts.

Oh. Kinda like LAME... which stands for "lame".

:roll:

typical uneducated response, even dumber than a person than knows nothing about hockey but doesn't like it.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:17 am

knives of ice wrote:
Guinness wrote:Oh. Kinda like LAME... which stands for "lame".

:roll:

typical uneducated response, even dumber than a person than knows nothing about hockey but doesn't like it.

And yet still accurate.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:42 am

knives of ice wrote:

What does my education have to do with thinking that mixed "martial arts" is lame? Given what passes for martial arts these days, I'd say it's quite an accurate assessment.

The martial arts are not a game.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bringitonhome on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:21 am

Guinness wrote:
knives of ice wrote:

What does my education have to do with thinking that mixed "martial arts" is lame? Given what passes for martial arts these days, I'd say it's quite an accurate assessment.

Isn't the MMA similar to the UFC? If so, I would hardly call it lame. It's like watching a fight in hockey, only it lasts 15 minutes, unless someone gets knocked out before that.
The guys that fight in the MMA and UFC are some of the worlds best conditioned athletes. Not to mention that they are trained in almost every style of martial arts. Fighting has to be one of the most physically draining things to do.

I really don't watch either of them but I do respect the people involved. You kinda have to. I wouldn't get in the ring with any one of them.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:00 am

bringitonhome wrote:
Guinness wrote:
knives of ice wrote:

Isn't the MMA similar to the UFC? If so, I would hardly call it lame. It's like watching a fight in hockey, only it lasts 15 minutes, unless someone gets knocked out before that.
The guys that fight in the MMA and UFC are some of the worlds best conditioned athletes. Not to mention that they are trained in almost every style of martial arts. Fighting has to be one of the most physically draining things to do.

I really don't watch either of them but I do respect the people involved. You kinda have to. I wouldn't get in the ring with any one of them.

Without speaking towards whether anyone has to respect them, calling what goes on in "MMA" a "martial art" is lame.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bringitonhome on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:27 am

Well I understand your point. The thing with that sport is that its a free for all. Most of the time, no M.A. skill(s) are even used. A lot of the fighters try to get the fight to the ground and use wrestling techniques to win. I do agree that the M.A. part of the game is lame. I dont really think the whole sport is. Now that I think about it, what is the difference between the UFC and the MMA? Anyone know?

It's funny how "off topic" a thread can get.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tph7856 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:46 am

Not gonna happen, they got him on insider trading charges
tph7856
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:29 am

I think the one thing the NHL definately has in its favor is the quality of the past several draft classes versus the NBAs.

The last blockbuster NBA draft was 2003, with Lebron, Mello, Wade, Bosh, West and Josh Howard. All the drafts combined since then haven't featured that much star power.

Since 03 the NHL has seen Vanak, Staal(s), Phaneuf, Ovie, Malkin, Crosby, Kopitar, Johnson, Toews, Kessel, Backstrom, Kane, Stamkos etc etc etc.

Every year hockey has had several new players with lots of star power cache, over the NBA which has only one or two. (I realize there is about half as many NBA players per team)
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:15 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:Though I appreciate Versus dedication to hockey, I can't stand watching them, especially when a Flyers game is on. You may as well be listening to a Philthadelphia broadcast.

I miss NHL Tonight and the games on ESPN.

With the NHL network being added to more tv providers, hopefully they can start showing more games and make a more concise NHL tonight style show, along with the full highlight show they have now.

I think ESPN is making themselves irrelevant by pandering to basketball. They just got MNF, but it isn't the same as when it was on ABC. Perhaps because they announcing sucks.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby D-Block Pens Fan on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:21 pm

There are problems with both NBC and Vs.

Vs. – The announcing team has a hard time getting a suit on top of their Flyers jerseys

NBC – Zero post game. For any casual fan watching a Sunday game there is almost no time spent breaking down a game to explain call etc..

I’d like to see at least some better highlights on ESPN.

Both the NHL and ESPN I feel are dug in right now. ESPN will continue to exclude hockey wherever possible for daring to reach an audience without them.

I think the answer is NHL Central Ice getting cheaper and building a fan base that way. The NHL needs to be in a situation where ESPN needs them back because they missing out on revenue from a sport growing in popularity.
D-Block Pens Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penmyst on Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:03 am

The NHL was bombing on ESPN when they were dropped. What's different now in the league? The shootout? Scores are still way down, many of the games are still way boring, and there are too many GD ties. Sure, there are a few good crops of young players recently. But it's still not enough to overcome the NHL's self-inflicted problems. It's not an attractive product right now, so it will stay on 2nd rate cable. Let's talk again in 3 years.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins