Has anything like this happened in a long time?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Has anything like this happened in a long time?

Postby purelebo84 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:47 am

Right now, all four teams in Pittsburgh are doing very well.

The Pens are 12-4-3.

The Steelers are 8-3.

Pitt Basketball is still undefeated early and will probably be the number five ranked team in the country come next week.

Pitt Football has a good chance at winning the Big East and playing in the Fiesta Bowl, and is nationally ranked and rising.

I can't think of another time recently where all four major teams playing in the city at the same time have been playing so well. It's really been fun to be around all four of these teams this year. Hopefully, at least one of them can bring home some sort of championship.

Just a thought that's been in my head. It's a great day to be alive!

And Go Pens.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Has anything like this happened in a long time?

Postby Gaucho on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:52 am

All five teams are doing well. As long as they don't have to actually play ball the Pirates are fine.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saveourpens on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:33 am

When you include the Succos, you can't say all "four teams in Pittsburgh are doing very well"
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:39 pm

saveourpens wrote:When you include the Succos, you can't say all "four teams in Pittsburgh are doing very well"

I was referring to the Pens, Steelers, Pitt football, and Pitt basketball.

So yes, I can.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why Not Us on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Don't forget the Pittsburgh Xplosion... what's their record right now?!?
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheBigLebowski on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:04 pm

purelebo84 wrote:
saveourpens wrote:When you include the Succos, you can't say all "four teams in Pittsburgh are doing very well"

I was referring to the Pens, Steelers, Pitt football, and Pitt basketball.

So yes, I can.

Good call my 'Burgh brother. Let's go Pens --Here we go Steelers -- Hail to Pitt!
TheBigLebowski
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby maudineormsby on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:20 pm

Do the pirates even qualify as a "team"?
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tjand72 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:52 pm

The Pirates are undefeated right now.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:33 pm

tjand72 wrote:The Pirates are undefeated right now.
Tied for best staff ERA too. :)
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LeopardLetang on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:42 pm

Ron` wrote:

but still zero production from 3B
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:54 pm

maudineormsby wrote:Do the pirates even qualify as a "team"?

Yes.

I still go to 20 games a year and catch every game I can. Someday, the baseball gods will reward me with a winning team.

There will be bandwagoners who jump on late and claim to be great fans, but I'll be able to honestly say it.

You just wait-- McCutchen, Alvarez, and Tabata are top of the line prospects, and we've got some young pitchers like Lincoln and Moskos who have potential.

Bucs in 2019.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:06 pm

purelebo84 wrote:

Yes.

I still go to 20 games a year and catch every game I can. Someday, the baseball gods will reward me with a winning team.

There will be bandwagoners who jump on late and claim to be great fans, but I'll be able to honestly say it.

You just wait-- McCutchen, Alvarez, and Tabata are top of the line prospects, and we've got some young pitchers like Lincoln and Moskos who have potential.

Bucs in 2019.

I'll be a bandwagoner when/if their time ever comes. Not only because the Buccos have so bad in past years, but because I'm not that big a fan of baseball. I have a feeling though if they had been winning all these years I'd probably be a pretty big fan. Anyway if the Bucs ever find themselves in the midst of a winning season, I'm sure ill be hopping on the bandwagon and ill be the first to admit it.

As for the other Pittsburgh teams this year, it's truly a great time to be a pittsburgher! Hopefully they keep it up.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:06 pm

purelebo84 wrote:

Yes.

You might be able to say it on your gravestone, but not likely during your lifetime. Your headstone could read "If the Pirates ever become good, please come read this headstone to know I watched them for my entire 90 years of living and they sucked."
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:37 pm

Ron` wrote:

Currently headed to the playoffs.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ryan21081 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:07 pm

purelebo84 wrote:Right now, all four teams in Pittsburgh are doing very well.

The Pens are 12-4-3.

The Steelers are 8-3.

Pitt Basketball is still undefeated early and will probably be the number five ranked team in the country come next week.

Pitt Football has a good chance at winning the Big East and playing in the Fiesta Bowl, and is nationally ranked and rising.

I can't think of another time recently where all four major teams playing in the city at the same time have been playing so well. It's really been fun to be around all four of these teams this year. Hopefully, at least one of them can bring home some sort of championship.

And Go Pens.

Did this guy really just say" 4 major teams"? If I didn't go to a school what do I care? College sports are not major league sports. They are filled with hipocracy. I wish I got breezed through college for free and was handed a degree. For the love of the game my butt!!! Hmm I wonder why most of the criminals in sports are in the NBA and NFL? Maybe because the main way to get to both leagues is through college where they look past wrong doing because athletes put Butts in seats then when the get to the pros society does the same.its a sad reallity in our society. End of rant! :)
ryan21081
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Weren't the Pens, Pirates, and Steelers all good in the early 90s? That would be more impressive than adding in college teams just for the heck of it :D

As a matter of fact, I believe 91 and 92 were pretty good sports seasons for professional Pittsburgh sports.

So to answer the OP, yes, this has happened before, but I can't speak for Pitt since I don't really care about them.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:40 pm

ryan21081 wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:Right now, all four teams in Pittsburgh are doing very well.

The Pens are 12-4-3.

The Steelers are 8-3.

And Go Pens.

Did this guy really just say" 4 major teams"? If I didn't go to a school what do I care? College sports are not major league sports. They are filled with hipocracy. I wish I got breezed through college for free and was handed a degree. For the love of the game my butt!!! Hmm I wonder why most of the criminals in sports are in the NBA and NFL? Maybe because the main way to get to both leagues is through college where they look past wrong doing because athletes put Butts in seats then when the get to the pros society does the same.its a sad reallity in our society. End of rant! :)

Inaccurate. Most of the criminals in sports come from these leagues because the players in these leagues come from poorer backgrounds, which, statistically, make them more likely to have been involved in crime. Sometimes, it's difficult to leave old habits behind, or cut ties with old, more unsavory friends.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanBryan on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:16 pm

Nice Job... You post this, and then Penguins lose 3-1... And Pitt Loses 21-7, currently...
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:36 pm

PensFanBryan wrote:Nice Job... You post this, and then Penguins lose 3-1... And Pitt Loses 21-7, currently...

:roll:
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocky133213 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:21 pm

purelebo84 wrote:

Yes.

Bucs in 2019.

Is it considered torture if you inflict the pain on yourself?

For me personally the pirates are not even on my radar unless someone asks me about them. I don't think i could even name the starting lineup.

But hey, here's hoping for you....i hope you get your winning team sometime in your lifetime.
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CKA24 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:55 am

Purelebo -- I'm with you. I love baseball and I'll always pray that management has an ounce of intelligence. At least enough to put a product on field sometime soon...

I'm saying 2010 -- Pirates have a winning season, Steelers play well as always, Pens move into their new digs and bring home the Cup!
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:58 am

CKA24 wrote:Purelebo -- I'm with you. I love baseball and I'll always pray that management has an ounce of intelligence. At least enough to put a product on field sometime soon...

I'm saying 2010 -- Pirates have a winning season, Steelers play well as always, Pens move into their new digs and bring home the Cup!

I, too, still follow the Pirates. My family has a 20 game plain.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:19 am

this thread has become a mush =(
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:03 pm

purelebo84 wrote:

Yes.

Bucs in 2019.

I'd rather not even watch until they become a decent team. If I am labeled as a "bandwagon fan", so be it. Beats watching them suck it up every year.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:44 pm

As long as Wanstadt is there pitt will continue to suck No imagination there at all Grandpa Dave is clueless
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins