OFFICIAL GAME DAY THREAD: PENS vs CANUCKS 11/22/08

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GAME DAY THREAD: PENS vs CANUCKS 11/22/08

Postby Ron` on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:57 pm

Dagny, sorry for bailing mid game. Had a nice dinner and starving for the next two days. As I said above this game was a trap and they are rolling on the road.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cojac on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:19 pm

Ron` wrote:"You picked a bad game my friend. This was a trap from the start. They were on the road, on a roll and a 2:00 start. Could have almost bet the farm on this one. That said, the Pens could have won this game if they would have shaked the cobwebs enough to actually play.

If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:21 pm

Pooey game. I put the 2nd period up there with giving up 2 shorties to Gagne and the Wash. collapse.

Sooooo much overwraught passing.

Try again, boys.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cojac on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:25 pm

As far as the PP, If you're going to dump the puck in, you need someone to go get it first. Yeo had Sid, Geno, Sykora up front, not one of those guys are going to be first, it's not their game. You have to have either Talbot, Dupuis, or Kennedy on the unit just to get to the puck first. The PP is bad from the way they come up the ice, to the way they set it up in the zone. Malkin needs to come late with speed, and enter the zone with the puck. I just feel with a qualified NHL PP coach, we'd never even be talking about the PP, except in a good way.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:30 pm

wallflower wrote:Craziness to start the game. Just felt weird the whole way after that.

Losing Cooke hurt a lot. Broke up what has been the Pens' best line lately.

I know some are upset about the hit on Talbot toward the end of the game but I thought it was alright. I was more angry about the two blatant trips the Canucks got away with in the last three minutes of the game. Just absurd.

Overall, I thought this game was boring. Just meh.

After the fight, dean martin and jerry lewis( :) ) took ~ 10 mins, it felt, to figure out the calls.
The players were coming onto the ice to keep legs loose. Then Luongo goes down...six mins of the 1st period must have taken 30 mins in real time.
Again, the the refs by calling everything in the 1st / 2nd and not in the 3rd affected the outcome of the game. Call every penalty the entire game or make no calls the entire game, that is all I ask of the refs.

Pens just weren't sharp enough this afternoon, to lift pucks over pads, a second or 2 slow in passing.
Brooks Orpik had a strong and physical game, maybe he doesn't fight often, to protect himself and his opponent.
Power play practice time coming up...

Sedins'; they're just an oddity. Good players for sure.

Loved Dean, the anthem singer, I don't think everybody did.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:57 pm

Is the line of Kennedy-Staal-Cooke really called the Sesame Street line?
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:00 pm

71Aj66ax87 wrote:Is the line of Kennedy-Staal-Cooke really called the Sesame Street line?

As far as i'm concerned, no. If they call it that on tv, i'll be ver ydisappointed
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jmh470 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:00 pm

The game was over when Therrien stacked the top line (about halfway through). The Canucks are easily good enough defensively to stop the only line that poses an offensive threat.

It's anyone's guess as to whether lack of execution or poor planning is dooming the PP. From my perspective, I simply do not see any particular strategy the Pens are employing on the man advantage.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:03 pm

jmh470 wrote:The game was over when Therrien stacked the top line (about halfway through). The Canucks are easily good enough defensively to stop the only line that poses an offensive threat.

It's anyone's guess as to whether lack of execution or poor planning is dooming the PP. From my perspective, I simply do not see any particular strategy the Pens are employing on the man advantage.
Pretty much as it's always been. You, you and you go out there. Let's see what happens.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:16 pm

Ron` wrote:
jmh470 wrote:The game was over when Therrien stacked the top line (about halfway through). The Canucks are easily good enough defensively to stop the only line that poses an offensive threat.

Pretty much as it's always been. You, you and you go out there. Let's see what happens.

Then shouldn't they be top 5 if that's the case? :wink:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:36 am

I didn't see on the schedule that we play the wild twice in a week! man what a horrible game. Sloppy, boring, no offense...

Steigy said a few times that the pens and Canucks systems are similar. God, I hope not. What boring hockey that was last night...

If the league wants to know what is wrong with hockey, it's not the goalie trapezoid, or the size of the arena, it's the defense first systems these teams play today...

Pens will struggle offensively from time to time because Satan/Talbot/Fedotenko are not top 6 forwards on very good teams...The offense goes as far as Crosby and Malkin take control...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:17 pm

KG wrote:I didn't see on the schedule that we play the wild twice in a week! man what a horrible game. Sloppy, boring, no offense...

Steigy said a few times that the pens and Canucks systems are similar. God, I hope not. What boring hockey that was last night...

If the league wants to know what is wrong with hockey, it's not the goalie trapezoid, or the size of the arena, it's the defense first systems these teams play today...

Pens will struggle offensively from time to time because Satan/Talbot/Fedotenko are not top 6 forwards on very good teams...The offense goes as far as Crosby and Malkin take control...

Yea I really hate that northwest division. I pity anyone that watches any of those teams.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:08 pm

I slept through the game. Sorry I wasn't able to bring the Saget juju. My bad!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins