1/4 th of the season review

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

1/4 th of the season review

Postby penny lane on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:54 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08328/930036-61.stm

Until MCM gives us his grades, here are Dave Molnari' s on the penguins through 1/4 of the season.
:)

I would have given the penguin defense a big~ way to go for maintaining their play-off level performance despite missing their #1 and #2 d-men. As Sidney said in yesterday's PG, it is a marathon to june 09.

*We* have to get over the 1 loss is somehow equal to 5 game losing streak mentality.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 1/4 th of the season review

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:42 pm

I agree. We freak out after a loss. It's human nature though, you get used to winning then you lose a game or two in a row and feel terrible. Back in 03 we would have thrown a party after a 3 game winning streak and yawned at a 3 game losing streak. The team will make the playoffs, its a clean slate from there.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:44 pm

I resent being lumped in with LGP as freaking out. I have done nothing close to resembling anything remotely similar to being kind of like panic.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:45 pm

You sort of need to calm down because you are almost going crazy about the concept of nearly freaking out. Just calm down, slightly.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:49 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I am 100% in panic mode and freaking out. This team is terrible! We lost to Vancouver and only score 1 goal! I thought we had two of the best players in the world! MT is a joke and needs to be fired. Yeo should be shot... the players can play a better PP without a coach. Staal had 3 good games and is back in the "usual Staal" form of crap, crap, and more crap. Honestly, if I look at this team rationally, we should be lucky to make the playoffs.

I'd say that's a freak out. Maybe you were drunk and don't remember it...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:51 pm

bhaw wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I am 100% in panic mode and freaking out. This team is terrible! We lost to Vancouver and only score 1 goal! I thought we had two of the best players in the world! MT is a joke and needs to be fired. Yeo should be shot... the players can play a better PP without a coach. Staal had 3 good games and is back in the "usual Staal" form of crap, crap, and more crap. Honestly, if I look at this team rationally, we should be lucky to make the playoffs.

I'd say that's a freak out. Maybe you were drunk and don't remember it...

Its possible, from when I woke up yesterday till when I ate dinner at around 7, my entire consumption was 5 beers and 4 vodka and sprites. So I was pretty drunk.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I resent being lumped in with LGP as freaking out. I have done nothing close to resembling anything remotely similar to being kind of like panic.

For serious. I hate when people are like, "OMG. LGP is all freaking out again." Except it's not everyone, it's just the misery misers who will spend two days after a loss (or even sometimes a win) complaining [despite the team having it's second best start in franchise history].

Maybe it's just me. I'm happy & optimistic about the Penguins because it's something I like, I don't understand the hair pulling and hand wringing others do about something they claim to enjoy. Of course it's not always rainbows, sunshine and cute puppies & kittens. But, at the end of the day, it's entertainment for us.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:20 pm

penny lane wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08328/930036-61.stm

Until MCM gives us his grades, here are Dave Molnari' s on the penguins through 1/4 of the season.
:)

I would have given the penguin defense a big~ way to go for maintaining their play-off level performance despite missing their #1 and #2 d-men. As Sidney said in yesterday's PG, it is a marathon to june 09.

*We* have to get over the 1 loss is somehow equal to 5 game losing streak mentality.

Im very pleased with 12-8 score without Sarge and RW..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:39 pm

wallflower wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I resent being lumped in with LGP as freaking out. I have done nothing close to resembling anything remotely similar to being kind of like panic.

For serious. I hate when people are like, "OMG. LGP is all freaking out again." Except it's not everyone, it's just the misery misers who will spend two days after a loss (or even sometimes a win) complaining [despite the team having it's second best start in franchise history].

Maybe it's just me. I'm happy & optimistic about the Penguins because it's something I like, I don't understand the hair pulling and hand wringing others do about something they claim to enjoy. Of course it's not always rainbows, sunshine and cute puppies & kittens. But, at the end of the day, it's entertainment for us.

without complaints, there wouldnt be much to discuss, so i dont usually harp on people too much when they say things unless its just a silly rant
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:43 pm

scals37 wrote:
wallflower wrote:

without complaints, there wouldnt be much to discuss, so i dont usually harp on people too much when they say things unless its just a silly rant

Its easy to talk about what they did poorly and what they did well without slitting your throat, wrists, and eating a bullet.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:25 pm

Nice to see Molinari give an honest assessment of MAF, he hasn't been as great as some have portrayed him.... At last check, MAF was 24th in the NHL with a .907 save pct. and 25th in GAA with 2.86....

By the way, looks like Sabu has played enough to qualify among the league leaders, #1 in GAA and #3 in save pct....
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:08 pm

How is Matt Cooke conflicting?

He's been awesome all year long.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:11 pm

At least we don't have TB's problems...
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:29 pm

Va Beach Pens Fan wrote:Nice to see Molinari give an honest assessment of MAF, he hasn't been as great as some have portrayed him.... At last check, MAF was 24th in the NHL with a .907 save pct. and 25th in GAA with 2.86....

By the way, looks like Sabu has played enough to qualify among the league leaders, #1 in GAA and #3 in save pct....

A lot of Sabu's games came along after the team as a whole tightened up. That being said, MAF was getting a lot of undue man-love.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:01 am

purelebo84 wrote:How is Matt Cooke conflicting?

He's been awesome all year long.

that was weird. maybe he didn't remember that cooke was out for a few games
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:27 am

I think what this season has shown so far is that the Pens haven't played their best hockey yet, yet they are finding ways to win games.

That is the big difference between this team and last years team at this time. They are winning the close games. The expierience they went through last year has made them a stronger unit and team. Hopefully they can add another top 4 winger and go to work...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:44 am

Remember last season when the pens started playing well. They're just getting to that point in the season now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CKA24 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:43 pm

I don't feel that Fleury is being 'over-loved' for his play this season. He kept us in games this season and stole a few. That said, he needs to continue to improve into the elite goaltender we all hope him to be. To do that, he needs to continue to improve on rebound control, puckhandling, and eliminating the soff goals.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Admin on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Today's Pens press release:
Penguins Evgeni Malkin, Dany Sabourin and Mike Zigomanis lead the NHL in key individual categories at the one-quarter mark of the NHL season.

Through 20 games, Malkin leads the NHL in scoring with 31 points, in assists with 24, and in power-play points with 15. Sabourin leads the league in goals-against average with a mark of 1.66. Zigomanis leads in faceoff winning percentage at 65 percent (130-70).

Alex Goligoski leads all rookie defensemen in scoring with 10 points.

At 12-5-3 for 27 points, the Penguins are tied for the third-best start in franchise history through 20 games. The 1994-95 team got off to a 14-4-2 start for 30 points, followed by the 1992-93 team at 13-4-3 for 29 points. The 1995-96 club also went 12-5-3 in its first 20 games.

Sidney Crosby is tied for fifth in NHL scoring with 25 points, just six points off the lead. He is tied for third in assists with 18.

Sabourin also is third in save percentage at .935.

Brooks Orpik is second in the league in hits with 77.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:31 pm

Admin wrote:Brooks Orpik is second in the league in hits with 77.

Dustin Brown is slacking this year, good thing the pens didn't trade Malkin for him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins