Will Curry get a start?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Will Curry get a start?

Postby icecats30 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:30 pm

IF fleury is to miss at least a week or so more does anyone think Curry will see some action? I personally think wednesday against the Islanders would be a perfect time.. They are probably the least "gifted" team offensively that we will see over the next few weeks. I think we need to see what Curry can show us so Shero can make the decision of whether he can replace sabourin as the backup next year. Sabourin is playing very well so far and i wouldnt be surprised if a team took a gamble on him, and he has already expressed how he feels about continuing to be a backup.

thoughts?
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Will Curry get a start?

Postby seth on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:34 pm

I say no
seth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Billkamm on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:37 pm

You play to win in the regular season. You don't play to tryout players. That is what the preseason was for.
Billkamm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 pm

NO reason to start Curry when Sabu would be playing on 3 days rest.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:45 pm

No way please. I just added Sabu to a few of my fantasy teams. I was pretty sneaky to grab him before all the Fleury owners, so Sabu needs to start every game until Fleury comes back. I need to email Therien.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Sabu has played well; no.

But if it is going to happen, the Islanders would be the game.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:48 pm

It's not like 1 start by Curry will tell us how he'll do in the future anyways. If anything it might affect his confindence a little, for better or for worse. Sabu should be playing. That's the whole point of a backup.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:23 pm

No, but if Sabu continues to give up at least one softie every night, then maybe some time.

Not on 3 days rest though.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:36 pm

sabourin
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:48 pm

Better question,when will MAF start?
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:25 am

71Aj66ax87 wrote:Better question,when will MAF start?

when sabu gets hurt and curry is given a chance and then fails
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:26 am

Bob Grove and Phil Bourque talked about this on the post-game show after the loss to the Canucks. Both expect to see Dany Sabourin get all the starts until Marc Andre Fleury gets back, noting the schedule isn't all that busy this week. They did note the Pens have their first set of back-to-back games coming up in Buffalo on Friday, then at home against New Jersey on Saturday, but thought Sabourin would likely start both as he's not logged a ton of minutes this year.

Unless Sabourin gets hurt (knock on wood) or plays exceedingly bad, I don't think you'll see John Curry facing anything but warmup shots in NHL games.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:00 am

I doubt it. His save % was .872 in the AHL.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:01 am

He's probably a step above Eddie Johnston suiting back up to fill in for a quick pinch.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby icecats30 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:26 am

since we all agree curry shouldnt get a minute... do you think he will replace sabourin next year? I dont see sabourin staying to be a backup, and if he does he wont make the minimum... and i think that the backup goalie is a position we cant afford to pay much more than the league minimum.. but we might have to if fleury cant stay healthy a whole season.
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:19 am

icecats30 wrote:since we all agree curry shouldnt get a minute... do you think he will replace sabourin next year? I dont see sabourin staying to be a backup, and if he does he wont make the minimum... and i think that the backup goalie is a position we cant afford to pay much more than the league minimum.. but we might have to if fleury cant stay healthy a whole season.

Curry might be the backup, Sabourin definitely won't be back regardless of what the pens want to pay him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:14 am

I can't see Curry being the backup for the Pens next year.

If Fleury went down for a stretch, we'd be screwed.

Then again, we're going to have to sacrifice if we want to get a winger for Sid.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:25 am

Any good championship calibre team that isn't put together as perfectly as the wings were last year will have to be built so that they're screwed if their starting goaltender goes down or get incredibly lucky. If the pens want to have the support for their core the next few years, they're gonna be paying their backup .5 million. If Fleury goes down they're screwed regardless, no reason to waste money on a backup that should only play 12-15 games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:32 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Any good championship calibre team that isn't put together as perfectly as the wings were last year will have to be built so that they're screwed if their starting goaltender goes down or get incredibly lucky. If the pens want to have the support for their core the next few years, they're gonna be paying their backup .5 million. If Fleury goes down they're screwed regardless, no reason to waste money on a backup that should only play 12-15 games.

Or get an Ian Moran type player that can fill in on the 3rd/4th line and D spot when needed. (to help ease with the salary cap issues)

Byfuglien from Chicago would fit that bill.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:09 pm

If Fleury isn't back by this weekend, I'd expect Curry to get a start in one of the back-to-backs. I really don't see Sabourin playing three games in four nights.

I'm eager to see Curry get a start. I think he's got some potential. He was very good last year as a rookie and while his playoff numbers weren't that impressive, he seemed to be left out to dry a lot by the defense, especially in the last two series. I didn't see him much, but he seemed to have the knack for making huge saves when they needed it. He's had kind of a rough start to this season, as the beginning was interrupted by the trip to Sweden, then he injured his back, then was splitting time with the WBS back-up who's playing great, and now is sitting on the bench with Pittsburgh. Ideally, he's the back-up next year. He'll be cheap and I wouldn't say he can't do a good job. Remember, everyone used to think the Pens would be screwed if Fleury went down and they had to rely on Sabourin, or Conklin...
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Any good championship calibre team that isn't put together as perfectly as the wings were last year will have to be built so that they're screwed if their starting goaltender goes down or get incredibly lucky. If the pens want to have the support for their core the next few years, they're gonna be paying their backup .5 million. If Fleury goes down they're screwed regardless, no reason to waste money on a backup that should only play 12-15 games.

Or get an Ian Moran type player that can fill in on the 3rd/4th line and D spot when needed. (to help ease with the salary cap issues)

Byfuglien from Chicago would fit that bill.

If Chicago hadn't signed him to that utterly ridiculous extension this offseason.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:47 pm

I am just waiting for Curry to come in for even a few minutes so he earns a game played, and thus appears as a write-in possibility on the all-star ballot (jk)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:01 pm

I'd rather have Adam Berkhoel up right now. Dude is on fire.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Jesse wrote:I'd rather have Adam Berkhoel up right now. Dude is on fire.

Me too, but he is on an AHL contract.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby helmespc on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
icecats30 wrote:since we all agree curry shouldnt get a minute... do you think he will replace sabourin next year? I dont see sabourin staying to be a backup, and if he does he wont make the minimum... and i think that the backup goalie is a position we cant afford to pay much more than the league minimum.. but we might have to if fleury cant stay healthy a whole season.

Curry might be the backup, Sabourin definitely won't be back regardless of what the pens want to pay him.

Why do you say that? He's not going to be a starting goalie in this league next year. He will probably never be a starting goaltender. If some team really thinks that Dany Sabourin is The Answer, then by all means, he'll be gone. But I'll be surprised if he's not a backup somewhere next year. He has no further to look than Conklin. If Tyco isn't starting after the amazing season he had last year, why the heck would Sabu be starting anywhere he signs? The only reason he'll be elsewhere if you ask me is if someone offers him $900k-1M a year to be a backup, rather than the $750-800k he'd get by sticking around here. Otherwise, he's got it pretty good in Pitt. He gets to play every few games for a team that is one of the best in the league. It doesn't make sense for a guy like him to uproot and go to some weak franchise to take the same position he currently holds on a strong franchise.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins