Food for thought - A coaching discussion.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Food for thought - A coaching discussion.

Postby pensfan20 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:00 pm

Noise wrote:
maudineormsby wrote:Kennedy-Crosby-Satan

Do it MT!

Cooke-Malkin-Sykora
Fedotenko-Staal-Talbot
Dupuis-Zigomanis-Godard

Why break up the line of Cooke-Staal-TK?

They have been a consitant line as of late and have been putting up some good shut down minutes against top lines and getting points. I know Dupuis/Tank/Max have not been putting up the #'s but i would keep the one line together that has chemistry going instead of ruining all the lines.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:43 pm

As much as I love that line, I'd rather have the top 2 lines have chemistry.

But who knows if that'll do it. I'm thinking if the Pens do anything at the deadline, it might be to get another energy/checking guy to play on the left wing and create space for either Malkin or Crosby, because I think that's really lacking in the top 6.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:48 pm

Keep lines as is. The ball will get rolling once these guys learn each other's tendencies and gain some chemistry with each other.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:18 pm

For all the garbage Therrien gets on a daily basis for personnel decisions that seem unpopular at the time, all he has done is win since he's gotten here from WB/S in the middle of that nightmare a few years ago. He handles his superstars well, and runs a disciplined system. Also, he's a fantastic in-game manager. For instance, when he stuck in Zigomanis on the PP in Detroit, and he won two faceoffs leading directly to huge goals.

I know he has the two best players in the world and a top ten goalie, but he is great with role players, just the same as Mike said.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 pm

purelebo84 wrote:For all the garbage Therrien gets on a daily basis for personnel decisions that seem unpopular at the time, all he has done is win since he's gotten here from WB/S in the middle of that nightmare a few years ago. He handles his superstars well, and runs a disciplined system. Also, he's a fantastic in-game manager. For instance, when he stuck in Zigomanis on the PP in Detroit, and he won two faceoffs leading directly to huge goals.

I know he has the two best players in the world and a top ten goalie, but he is great with role players, just the same as Mike said.

Coaches with players to work with rarely get recognized, but IMO it's just as hard to coach those teams; the players are harder to handle, the expectations for you are higher with less recognition, and even if you get a lot out of your players you're just doing your job. Therrien has done an excellent job the last few years, and I readily admit I was clamoring for him to be fired at the beginning of last year. Not afraid to admit that I was wrong and he is a very good coach.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stan Potash on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:37 pm

this is actually a great thread (you know, aside from the last 3 posts). i wish i had something else to add. i don't. so i won't say anything.
cooke on the power play? whose forward spot would he take? or would he be on the point? eek.

when i said "the last 3 posts" it was before about 3 more posts came in. anyway...
let's go pens.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:50 pm

Cooke would work the boards and screen the goalie I presume
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:52 pm

Noise wrote:Cooke would work the boards and screen the goalie I presume

and score the goals and make the passes. Cooke does what he wants when he wants.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

and score the goals and make the passes. Cooke does what he wants when he wants.

Matt Cooke can believe it's not butter.

Sorry for the throwback to the Gary Roberts facts, but you set that up.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:48 pm

Samsdog wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Matt Cooke can believe it's not butter.

Sorry for the throwback to the Gary Roberts facts, but you set that up.

Cooke has 5 more points and is +6 better in +/- than Scary Gary. Gary Roberts is currently wearing Matt Cooke pajamas.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:10 am

I imagine (or at least hope) that Therrien's new PP will split up Malkin and Crosby to send out two units. The benefits of this would be:
*Fresh players for the full two minutes
*One of Malkin / Crosby is always on the ice
*Each guy gets to run their unit. I think they see the ice differently and would run different PP's. Crosby's would be more of a down low cycle to open up the far side of the ice. Malkin's would be a puck possesion, give and go, shooting PP.
*Both Sykora and Satan would be able to showcase their shot with someone who can get it to them.
*All our offensive defensemen will get time on the point.
*Guys like TK and Cooke and Talbot who dig the puck out of the corners and provide palable on-ice energy can be utilized on the man advantage.

Unit Blue:
TK-Crosby-Satan
GoGO-Boucher

Unit Red:
Cooke-Staal-Sykora
Malkin-Letang
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:11 am

They should just keep rolling their ES lines if they are going to consider splitting Crosby and Malkin on the pp.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:28 am

Idoit40fans wrote:They should just keep rolling their ES lines if they are going to consider splitting Crosby and Malkin on the pp.

I concur. Our best PP line last year was just Malkin's line, with Whit and Gonch at the points.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:34 am

Kennedy should be playing with Crosby. Crosby excels with guys who play at his intensity level and commitment. TK reminds me a bit of a lesser-skilled Recchi.

I know TK-Staal-Cooke has been great recently. So I wouldn't rush breaking them up, but I don't see why Talbot couldn't fit in nicely there. Plus getting more ES production means maximizing Crosby and Malkin, whatever it takes.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shortbird II on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:12 am

Mongoose87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:They should just keep rolling their ES lines if they are going to consider splitting Crosby and Malkin on the pp.

I concur. Our best PP line last year was just Malkin's line, with Whit and Gonch at the points.

II
shortbird II
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pensfan20 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:20 pm

pcm wrote:I imagine (or at least hope) that Therrien's new PP will split up Malkin and Crosby to send out two units. The benefits of this would be:
*Fresh players for the full two minutes
*One of Malkin / Crosby is always on the ice
*Each guy gets to run their unit. I think they see the ice differently and would run different PP's. Crosby's would be more of a down low cycle to open up the far side of the ice. Malkin's would be a puck possesion, give and go, shooting PP.
*Both Sykora and Satan would be able to showcase their shot with someone who can get it to them.
*All our offensive defensemen will get time on the point.
*Guys like TK and Cooke and Talbot who dig the puck out of the corners and provide palable on-ice energy can be utilized on the man advantage.

Unit Blue:
TK-Crosby-Satan
GoGO-Boucher

Unit Red:
Cooke-Staal-Sykora
Malkin-Letang

I think this would work out great. My issue with putting both SId and Geno out together on the PP is A: they both love to make pretty passes and make plays happen = lots of passing and no shooting
B: When they are out together, the other team puts out their best shut down dmen and holds them off the scoresheet and then we put out guys like Ziggy/Staal/TK .. im sorry, but they dont scare anyone on the PP.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:28 pm

Kennedy should be playing with Crosby. Crosby excels with guys who play at his intensity level and commitment. TK reminds me a bit of a lesser-skilled Recchi.

I like this idea. He has the speed to keep up but he also has much better hands than Dupuis and I think he's also a little better than Talbot. He's probably the second hardest worker on the team behind Crosby. He's not afraid to shoot the puck. I'd like to see it when Talbot inevitably moves back down eventually.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins