Recchi and Avery

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Recchi and Avery

Postby purelebo84 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:12 pm

purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:14 pm

I suspect there is little chance of this happening (as with all self-generated LGP "rumors"), but I think MT would love to have Avery on the Pens. Especially on the PP and during the playoffs.
Last edited by columbia on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:15 pm

columbia wrote:I suspect there is little chance of this happening (as with all self-generated LGP "rumors"), but I think MT would love to have Avery on the Pens. Especially during the playoffs.

Avery becoming a pen would be enough to cause me to stop watching I think.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:32 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
columbia wrote:I suspect there is little chance of this happening (as with all self-generated LGP "rumors"), but I think MT would love to have Avery on the Pens. Especially during the playoffs.

Pens fans would have said that about Ruutu had he played for the Flyers before coming to Pittsburgh. Character assessments become quite relative when the object of hatred is on your team.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:33 pm

Samsdog wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Samsdog wrote:I remember trading for Oates in NHL 95. Good times. Don't remember who I traded though.

I edited Crosby to be Oates in NHL 09.

Buy Crosby out and give his cap space to Oates. Do it RS.

We could then argue with Caps fans over who has the best AO.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:35 pm

columbia wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Pens fans would have said that about Ruutu had he played for the Flyers before coming to Pittsburgh. Character assessments become quite relative when the object of hatred is on your team.

You're right, if Ruutu played in the East, I would have hated him when he got here, just like I would if they ever got Tucker. Ruutu didn't play in the East though, and he isn't nearly as bad as Avery.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:36 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:joke thread.

Throke Jead.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wallflower on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:58 pm

columbia wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Ruutu & Avery may play similiar games ON the ice but off the ice there is no comparison. Avery is a garbage human being & teammate.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Easton on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:11 am

Avery is one of the only people in the NHL that I can honestly say I never want to see on the Penguins, ever. Never ever. Ever. Now I've said ever too much so it looks like a weird word.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:16 am

Easton wrote:Avery is one of the only people in the NHL that I can honestly say I never want to see on the Penguins, ever. Never ever. Ever. Now I've said ever too much so it looks like a weird word.

blah, blah, blah, something about it being different if he were on your favorite team...etc.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jaysmiter on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:56 am

I miss good old Rutto...

Rutto knew how to bring da noize.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:47 am

Easton wrote:Avery is one of the only people in the NHL that I can honestly say I never want to see on the Penguins, ever. Never ever. Ever. Now I've said ever too much so it looks like a weird word.

Thankfully, GMs don't make hockey decisions around who the fans want to see on the team. That's why fantasy hockey was invented.

If someone wants to make a hockey argument as to why a certain player - like Avery - would or would not be good on the team, please do. But please remember that whether you like/hate a player on personal level is irrelevant and any GM that operates that way will have a very short career in the NHL. If Shero worried about whether the players were happy with his personnel changes, Armstrong would still be on the team.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:28 am

hahaha...wake up SHERO....bring back the Recchinball!!!
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:32 am

I'm pretty sure this thread is a joke, if not then welcome to the bandwagon effect.

In all seriousness to help explain to this poor person who posted this, Recchi awkwardly parted ways with the Penguins and most likely is probably not welcome back. Plus, a grit player? Recchi? Sure in his prime yes, Recchi was. But in his twilight, hardly does he compare to a Ruutu. Plus we've heard previous stories of him being a locker-room cancer, but this could be interpreted as a simple "state of the team" (2005). As for Avery, I share the sentiment of most of the people on this board.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:34 am

To address the grit issue, I heard the Pens are planning on signing Marty McSorley and trading for Rick Tocchet.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ru10tu10 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:35 am

bhaw wrote:

We could then argue with Caps fans over who has the best AO.

Best or biggest?
ru10tu10
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:20 am

LOUANGOTTI wrote:All right boys and girls- it's become painfully obvious we are lacking grit on this team. Roberts, Malone and Rutto are gone - and along with them - "grit". I just read Recchi may soon be shopped, I just read in SI Avery is wearing out his welcome in Big D. If the price is right and Dallas picks up 1/2 of Averys salary- what do you think about adding these two come February or so?

Can i have the name of your supplier because thats some pretty strong stuff you are smoking. I mean lets bring a guy back that wore out his welcome with this team last time he was here and a guy that rivals the biggest locker rooms cancers in any league, sure lets bring them here. I had an Avery discusion with my one friend last summer right before the free agent period. The only team that could handle Avery is Detriot because there locker room has so many vetern guys that they might be able to keep him in check and that is a BIG IF there.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Noise on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:02 pm

If the Pens want some more grit, I wouldn't mind getting Tucker or Schubert.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:09 pm

I didn't know lack of grit caused teams to play retarded and lazy in the 3rd period to blow easily defendable leads.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SnowPlow on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:15 pm

SnowPlow
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kicksave on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:34 pm

DelPen wrote:I didn't know lack of grit caused teams to play retarded and lazy in the 3rd period to blow easily defendable leads.

This might be the smartest thing anybody has ever said about anything. Ever.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:07 pm

I look forward to the day that I no longer see Recchi's name in the pens related section (joke or not).

Too bad that day will never come. :cry:
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:24 pm

I hope they bring in Mark Recchi to man the wrecking ball when they tear down Mellon Arena. THAT would sell tickets.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:30 pm

columbia wrote:

Thankfully, GMs don't make hockey decisions around who the fans want to see on the team. That's why fantasy hockey was invented.

If someone wants to make a hockey argument as to why a certain player - like Avery - would or would not be good on the team, please do. But please remember that whether you like/hate a player on personal level is irrelevant and any GM that operates that way will have a very short career in the NHL. If Shero worried about whether the players were happy with his personnel changes, Armstrong would still be on the team.

Look up all the issues with Avery and the Stars. The entire locker room is upset. The Stars were a Stanley Cup favorite coming into the year and only made one major acquisition: Sean Avery. They are now at the bottom of the West standings... that's a BIG fall. Is this not hockey related enough?

Stats wise, he has 2 goals and 7 assists in 20 games and ranks 1st in PIMs.
That's 3.875M for 9 points and 77 PIMs. That right there is enough reason to say get away. Add in the whole locker room issue and no way.

To be fair, I was for at least looking at picking him up in the offseason until I saw his price tag. Now there is no way I would ever consider it.

As a side note, all of the following players on the Pens have equal or greater production than Avery:

Letang 0-9-9 685K
Goligoski 4-6-10 895k
Staal 7-5-12 850K
Sykora 4-8-12 2.5M
Kennedy 5-8-13 550k
Satan 9-7-16 3.5M

Cooke and Fedotenko are 1 point behind with less games played, and their salaries are 1.2M and 2.25M respectively.

So why would even a GM like Shero have a reason to sign this guy?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:59 pm

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but who would have ever thought Recchi and Avery would share a thread title, especially when each was being proposed to be brought in for the same reason.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins