Speaking of Sykora...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Speaking of Sykora...

Postby Stan Potash on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:30 pm

He's one of my favorite players. He hasn't really played that well this year, but I haven't seen people blasting him for it. Is it because he's just a 'really sweet dude?' I mean, he's a really nice guy. Really soft-spoken, very polite. Everyone likes him, right? But people also like Sid and Geno and they both get slammed if they go two games without scoring multiple points. Is that just because they're supposed to score multiple points every night? Anyway, Sykora. Thoughts? Aside from the thought that you probably think he's totally sweet.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Speaking of Sykora...

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:42 pm

I didn't think Sykora was anyone's favorite player. He's good, but not really favorite player material.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:43 pm

sykie has his ups and downs. not as much is expected out of him compared to sid and geno though, so its apples to oranges
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dman66 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:43 pm

i think a lot of people have given him a pass since he missed most of the early part of the season and then had to basically recondition himself. he was one of the top pp scorers last year, but he doesn't get more than a sniff on the top unit. he also doesn't make that much money. another reason why he probably isn't complained about? game 5 in motown :D
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:44 pm

Sykora is the kind of player you love to have on your team if only because of his personality and timely scoring I think. Not a very complete player, and I think his reputation for being streaky and his replacement on the PP by Satan gives him a bit of a pass. Not sure, but for me, I ignore his cold streaks because they're so frequent, while an off-game from Cros or Malkin is so unusual that it alarms a lot of people.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stan Potash on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:45 pm

i think game 5 might have gotten him a bit of a free pass. i'm ok with that. that was kind of a good game.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stan Potash on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:46 pm

Samsdog wrote:Sykora is the kind of player you love to have on your team if only because of his personality and timely scoring I think. Not a very complete player, and I think his reputation for being streaky and his replacement on the PP by Satan gives him a bit of a pass. Not sure, but for me, I ignore his cold streaks because they're so frequent, while an off-game from Cros or Malkin is so unusual that it alarms a lot of people.

that's pretty much exactly what i was thinking. just wanted another opinion maybe.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Firebird on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:20 am

He needs more PP time
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:34 am

I don't know how much more he can really get, he's only a hair under four minutes per game, which is barely below Satan. He's actually averaging a few more seconds of PP time per game than he did last year. If they go with four forwards he's generally out there but I don't think I'd play him over Crosby, Malkin, or Satan on the first unit.

I'd bet that he'll pick up the goal scoring. He's always been a streaky player. The points are coming, just not the goals. I bet he'll end around 25. I think coming into this season you had to temper your expectations for him a little compared to last year. He was in line for a pretty modest season until Crosby went down. Like Malone, he fed off Malkin's magic. I wish he was more of an ES presence.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby helmespc on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:34 am

Sykora kind of plays this way all the time. He'll pot goals in a few games and then go dry for a few... rinse and repeat. That's fine by me. He keeps up with the play and doesn't make mistakes too often.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Twisted Wrister on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:56 am

Snipers are streaky its that simple. When he pots 4 in 3 games everyone loves him, but when he goes a few without one you hate him.
Twisted Wrister
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:04 am

Twisted Wrister wrote:Snipers are streaky its that simple. When he pots 4 in 3 games everyone loves him, but when he goes a few without one you hate him.

I'd say it's more true of a guy who's good but not great rather than snipers in general. This is probably a big part of the reason why Sykora was abled to be signed to a cheap, short term deal. When he's on, he's a big asset. Otherwise, he doesn't bring much to the table. For a second line winger, that's ok. He can't be one of your top forwards that you count on, though. On this team, I don't think they really expect him to be that.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:22 am

He actually is my favorite player, despite his recent unproductive streak. I liked him when he was in Edmonton, I think he has a very good eye for where to put the puck, and his snap/wrist shot is wicked. I ordered his jersey when I heard we signed him and had it at the home opener last year when he had 2 goals. Some bandwagoner sitting behind me was like "Hey, who's that Sekuro guy?"

One of my problems with his is the blade he uses. While it's effective for wicked shots, it also causes him to fumble passes and whiff on shots, unless the pass (usually from Gino) is perfect. Also, he's not physical at all. Sometimes it looks like he's afraid to get hit. I think he's been working on digging in deep, but that in itself is a work in progress.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:44 am

He's Ville Niemenen now. 100% of his game is fighting on the boards. That's got to stop.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:12 am

sykora got a lot of points on the power play last year. if he's not producing on the PP (which is the case now), he's going to put up pedestrian numbers. of course this has been true for all our wings the last 2.5 years.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:32 am

Right now Skyora is avergaing .7 points a game, *82, that comes out to be about 58 points for the entire season. But Skyora has yet to catch fire yet, he is a streaky scorer, always has been, i expect him to finish in the 60-70 points range which is petty good.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby spi on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:34 am

I like Sykie a lot. He fits well with this team. I give him credit because he knew he would and he made sure he got a chance to play here by calling up shero. That was the first reason that I immediately liked him. He has a scoring touch which is what we expected.

NOW for my only gripe about him...CHANGE YOUR STICK SYKORA!!!

If I have to watch his stick break one more time on a quality scoring chance I am going to flip out!! i bet if his stick stayed in one peice he would have at least 4 more goals this year and on pace for what we all expect.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Indyman on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:51 am

I think he has a specific role on this team - he just isn't quite doing his job so far this year (consistently anyway)

If Sykora was on his game, Geno would have over 40 points. :shock:

I think he'll start lighting it up any time now. (Hopefully - he's on my fantasy team)

Probably, once the PP gets clicking, it will be due to the fact Whitney is back, and Sykora actually hits the net. (and his stick doesn't break... :( )
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Indyman wrote:I think he'll start lighting it up any time now. (Hopefully - he's on my fantasy team)

Mine too, he's been on my bench just about every day....

I would love to see the PP tweaked to allow Sykora more room in the slot for one timers from the skaters along the boards, but he certainly needs to pick it up....
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby isotopes014 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:05 am

sykora and satan are both streaky.... the pens are the most fun to watch when both of those two are on (or in the case of last year, malone and sykora) because the more talented starters (malkin and crosby) get more of their amazing set ups finished.

not just for fantasy hockey but for the sake of exciting fast paced hockey.... i hope sykora can get that hot hand. because whoever said it is right... malkin would have 40 pts right now
isotopes014
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ginger on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am

DocEmrick wrote:He actually is my favorite player, despite his recent unproductive streak. I liked him when he was in Edmonton, I think he has a very good eye for where to put the puck, and his snap/wrist shot is wicked. I ordered his jersey when I heard we signed him and had it at the home opener last year when he had 2 goals. Some bandwagoner sitting behind me was like "Hey, who's that Sekuro guy?"

One of my problems with his is the blade he uses. While it's effective for wicked shots, it also causes him to fumble passes and whiff on shots, unless the pass (usually from Gino) is perfect. Also, he's not physical at all. Sometimes it looks like he's afraid to get hit. I think he's been working on digging in deep, but that in itself is a work in progress.

I have to say I'm with you. I would actually watch Devils games simply to watch him play - Elias too. But aside from being a good player, he's really nice on top of that, so how could anyone have any real issue with him? Unless you're Pierre Maguire...lol Remember that in the playoffs? Maguire bad-mouthed Petr all thru' the first part of the game, then he was bold enough to ask Petr what was up with the terrible performance?? Petr said he'd get the game winning goal. Maguire just sort of rolled his eyes at the camera.

Petr scored the game winning goal & Maguire had to eat it. :D
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:32 pm

Ginger wrote:I have to say I'm with you. I would actually watch Devils games simply to watch him play - Elias too. But aside from being a good player, he's really nice on top of that, so how could anyone have any real issue with him? Unless you're Pierre Maguire...lol Remember that in the playoffs? Maguire bad-mouthed Petr all thru' the first part of the game, then he was bold enough to ask Petr what was up with the terrible performance?? Petr said he'd get the game winning goal. Maguire just sort of rolled his eyes at the camera.

Petr scored the game winning goal & Maguire had to eat it. :D

Haha yeah. I was so pleased when Sykora delivered on his promise to get the GWG. Maguire was bad-mouthing Petr right when they were next to each other. That was a classic game. I hope Sykora can pick it up tonight and start finding the back of the net. No better team to do it against, than the Islanders sans Dipietro.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 71 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:04 pm

He only makes 2.5 mil per year and has 12 points in 17 GP. As some have stated before Petr is a streaky scorer and hasn't gotten hot yet, so by the end of the year he'll get his points and provide Geno with a legit scoring winger at a bargain price. If today RS extended him at the same rate for the next 3 years I'd be thrilled. That's why I won't complain about Sykora, because he not only produces but he does so at a below market rate. His importance to this team can't be overlooked, without him Malkin is skating with fringe top 6 type wingers (Fedotenko, Dupuis) and not producing nearly as much, or RS would've had to spend more on a legit top 6 winger for Geno and left Staal with wingers that hold back his development and cost him even strength minutes.
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:49 pm

I'm not really a fan of his. He's not extremely skilled and he's weak. Basically all he can do is rip a nice shot once in a while, and he's not bad in the transition game. Other than that he's useless. I know that you need that and if he was good at other things we wouldn't be getting him for 2.5 mil. But players like him can be very frustrating to watch a lot of the time.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins