Greatest NHL Captain

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Greatest NHL Captain

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:09 pm

bringitonhome wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Sabres_Fan wrote:How on earth can a fan pick who the greatest captain is???? Unless we're in the locker room how would we know

How on earth can they make any decision about a team? Why do they have message boards? Why do you bother having an account and posting on these message boards?

You like arguing don't you? It's annoying.

Only with hypocrites. You're certainly bettering the situation by telling someone that "likes to argue" that they're annoying. I guess the question should be: "Do you like arguing?"
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:18 pm

bringitonhome wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Sabres_Fan wrote:How on earth can a fan pick who the greatest captain is???? Unless we're in the locker room how would we know

How on earth can they make any decision about a team? Why do they have message boards? Why do you bother having an account and posting on these message boards?

You like arguing don't you? It's annoying.

10,556 posts aren't going to happen by themself. Unless you are Netwolf that is. :lol:
Last edited by Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:33 pm

Yeah. Post counts dont mean anything to me at all. I just find it funny how most of his posts are just calling people out. That is the reason that some board members dont post.

I do know that the point that one member made about fans not being in the locker room was a good point. not to mention that we, as fans, arent on the bench either, so its hard for a fan to properly evaluate a captain.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:41 pm

bringitonhome wrote:Yeah. Post counts dont mean anything to me at all. I just find it funny how most of his posts are just calling people out. That is the reason that some board members dont post.

I do know that the point that one member made about fans not being in the locker room was a good point. not to mention that we, as fans, arent on the bench either, so its hard for a fan to properly evaluate a captain.

Please point out when I do this, because looking through my last 100 posts, I could find 2 that could be considered calling someone out. One of those was a joke, and anyone that actually ever pays attention to me would know that. Criticize me for being around here a lot if you want, but don't criticize me for being rude when you're ignorant of the way that I actually act around here.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
bringitonhome wrote:Yeah. Post counts dont mean anything to me at all. I just find it funny how most of his posts are just calling people out. That is the reason that some board members dont post.

Please point out when I do this, because looking through my last 100 posts, I could find 2 that could be considered calling someone out. One of those was a joke, and anyone that actually ever pays attention to me would know that. Criticize me for being around here a lot if you want, but don't criticize me for being rude when you're ignorant of the way that I actually act around here.

So you're saying Lemieux is the best capie-ton ever? I agree!

/thread
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:03 pm

He's one of them, but there are other captains widely recognized as being the best. Messier has the track record of captaining two different teams to Cups, Yzerman was the other name I mentioned, and he was a captain forever and had what? 3 cups as a captain? He is also among my favorite players all time, and would go through a wall for anyone on his team in a second.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:57 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I voted for Hatcher.

...jk

At least they made this one 1 vote per day. They should smarten up and try that with the Allstar game.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:11 pm

Haha I was expecting this thread to still be in an awkward silence. I guess I can't even cause that anymore.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:He's one of them, but there are other captains widely recognized as being the best. Messier has the track record of captaining two different teams to Cups, Yzerman was the other name I mentioned, and he was a captain forever and had what? 3 cups as a captain? He is also among my favorite players all time, and would go through a wall for anyone on his team in a second.

What captain can say he actually owned his team???? :D
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:02 pm

After just reading back through the thread, I just realized that I was basically called a jerk because I defended people for expressing their opinions. Then the person who did that complained that I'm "always calling people out".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rohit on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Only with hypocrites. You're certainly bettering the situation by telling someone that "likes to argue" that they're annoying. I guess the question should be: "Do you like arguing?"

that doesnt make him/her wrong
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Rohit wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Only with hypocrites. You're certainly bettering the situation by telling someone that "likes to argue" that they're annoying. I guess the question should be: "Do you like arguing?"

that doesnt make him/her wrong

I don't know why I bothered responding to this.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfan20 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:32 pm

I have to vote for Yzerman. He captained the wings for his entire career. Had great players play along side of him and no one challenged his captaincy(sp?). Then, my second vote would be for Messier. Do you really think that NYR would have won a cup without him? he put his money where his mouth was many of times and always backed it up. Lemieux was a great captain for sure, but besides Ronnie, i dont know anyone on the team that would have really challenged him for the C. I know Jagr had it for a while when he was in and out, but i never saw him as a true captain.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:54 pm

pensfan20 wrote:I have to vote for Yzerman. He captained the wings for his entire career. Had great players play along side of him and no one challenged his captaincy(sp?). Then, my second vote would be for Messier. Do you really think that NYR would have won a cup without him? he put his money where his mouth was many of times and always backed it up. Lemieux was a great captain for sure, but besides Ronnie, i dont know anyone on the team that would have really challenged him for the C. I know Jagr had it for a while when he was in and out, but i never saw him as a true captain.

Jagr's C always meant "Best Player on the team", he was never a captain. Anytime he wore the C, Straka was the captain, both with the Pens and with the Rangers.

EDIT: Well maybe Nylander in NY, but not Jagr.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:17 pm

If by greatest you mean so bad it's great, that I give you Big Steve McKenna. Wasn't he captain for one game?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:41 pm

I love Mario as much as the next Pens fan, but I'm not sure that he should be considered the best captain ever. Of course we don't know what was really going on behind the scenes, but at least publicly the perception seems to be that after the Cup winning seasons of the early 90s, Mario actually did some things to substantially undermine the success of the team, e.g. wanting to get rid of Bowman, lobbying to get rid of Zubov, contributing to the laid-back, "country-club" atmosphere, encouraging management to bring back players that he liked (Quinn), etc. None of this seems to be in line with being a good captain, who should always put winning, the team and the organization before personal concerns. Mario has done an incredible amount for the organization and for the city, but I don't think he can be considered the greatest team captain. In fact, I think in the long run Crosby will prove to be a better captain than Mario.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WWGRD on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Corvidae wrote:If by greatest you mean so bad it's great, that I give you Big Steve McKenna. Wasn't he captain for one game?

WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins