Quick Prospect Update...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Quick Prospect Update...

Postby Jesse on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:53 pm

Keven Veilleux is out indefinitely. Possibly for the rest of the year. He suffered a shoulder injury akin to what Sergei Gonchar is experiencing. Early MRI’s are indecisive because of constant swelling but he’s going to require surgery. This isn’t good for Veilleux, he had started the year with Rimouski well and had only recently fallen into a few of the lazy habits he exhibited last year. Rimouski is already decimated by injury, so KV was going to be relied upon heavily and the extra ice time could have done him a ton of good. Through 17 games, Veilleux had 20 points (8+12).

Casey Pierro-Zabotel continued his streak this weekend earning 4 points in 2 games. Vancouver is an offensive powerhouse right now, and CPZ is right at the heart of it. I said he was a dynamic offensive talent when we drafted him, and he’s showing what he’s capable of with top minutes. His vision is second to none. His goal scoring is starting to catch up with his playmaking. Although he’s racking up assists, I still think he’ll make his noise scoring big goals when it counts later in the year. He now has 38 points in 24 games, 8 goals and 30 assists. Just an unreal start to the year for him.

Carl Sneep earned more playing time at BC last year, and he’s making the most of it again this year. He’s got 1 goal and 7 assists in 11 games this year.

I had a discussion with Ian from HF the other day who said his contacts were telling him the oft-forgotten Michael Gergen was playing very well for UMD. He’s got 3 goals and 3 assists in 12 games. Good news for Gergen, who had fallen off the radar after two consecutive seasons playing relatively poor hockey. The points will come if the ethic is there.

Shameless plug: Stay tuned to FF for an inventory of the Penguins D prospects, as well as an interview with 2009 potential top 10 pick Jimmy Bubnick from the Kamloops Blazers - both coming in the next week. www.faceoff-factor.com.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Quick Prospect Update...

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Keven Veilleux is out indefinitely. Possibly for the rest of the year. He suffered a shoulder injury akin to what Sergei Gonchar is experiencing. Early MRI’s are indecisive because of constant swelling but he’s going to require surgery. This isn’t good for Veilleux, he had started the year with Rimouski well and had only recently fallen into a few of the lazy habits he exhibited last year. Rimouski is already decimated by injury, so KV was going to be relied upon heavily and the extra ice time could have done him a ton of good. Through 17 games, Veilleux had 20 points (8+12).

Should have drafted that other guy..
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:03 pm

Really bad luck for the Pens and Vellieux. Oscar Moeller continues to make you look like a genius.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Really bad luck for the Pens and Vellieux. Oscar Moeller continues to make you look like a genius.

Just remember, Sam. For every Oscar Moller, there's an Enver Lisin.

Meaning: When the Penguins drafted Alex Goligoski, I was irate that they bypassed Russian star Enver Lisin. Lisin can't even crack the Coyotes lineup right now.

But yeah, Moller is looking like a stud.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:21 pm

In fairness, the entire league passed on Moller in the first round and most of the league passed on him a second time in the second round. The book's still not closed on Veilleux - I guess he goes to WBS next year, and maybe with a couple years of seasoning there, he develops into a good one. Moller's already cracked the NHL for LA, but we'll see how he progresses. There's always a temptation with drafts to look at early returns but we won't know how this stacks up for several more years. The same with the people that always want to discuss the 2006 draft and whether or not Staal was the right pick.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:24 pm

Take a seat Kovy27, I got this one:

Malkin, Gonchar, Vellieux TO LA

for

Kopitar, Brown, Johnson, Moller.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Twisted Wrister on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:39 pm

Lisen scored last night for the Yotes and looks to be staying with the club. 3 games 2 goals.
Twisted Wrister
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Jesse wrote:Keven Veilleux is out indefinitely. Possibly for the rest of the year. He suffered a shoulder injury akin to what Sergei Gonchar is experiencing. Early MRI’s are indecisive because of constant swelling but he’s going to require surgery. This isn’t good for Veilleux, he had started the year with Rimouski well and had only recently fallen into a few of the lazy habits he exhibited last year. Rimouski is already decimated by injury, so KV was going to be relied upon heavily and the extra ice time could have done him a ton of good. Through 17 games, Veilleux had 20 points (8+12).

Casey Pierro-Zabotel continued his streak this weekend earning 4 points in 2 games. Vancouver is an offensive powerhouse right now, and CPZ is right at the heart of it. I said he was a dynamic offensive talent when we drafted him, and he’s showing what he’s capable of with top minutes. His vision is second to none. His goal scoring is starting to catch up with his playmaking. Although he’s racking up assists, I still think he’ll make his noise scoring big goals when it counts later in the year. He now has 38 points in 24 games, 8 goals and 30 assists. Just an unreal start to the year for him.

Carl Sneep earned more playing time at BC last year, and he’s making the most of it again this year. He’s got 1 goal and 7 assists in 11 games this year.

I had a discussion with Ian from HF the other day who said his contacts were telling him the oft-forgotten Michael Gergen was playing very well for UMD. He’s got 3 goals and 3 assists in 12 games. Good news for Gergen, who had fallen off the radar after two consecutive seasons playing relatively poor hockey. The points will come if the ethic is there.

Shameless plug: Stay tuned to FF for an inventory of the Penguins D prospects, as well as an interview with 2009 potential top 10 pick Jimmy Bubnick from the Kamloops Blazers - both coming in the next week. http://www.faceoff-factor.com.

I know that Vancouver is a strong team this year, but CPZ is scoring at a rate of 1.583 points per game right now. In the physical and defense-heavy WHL, that's absolutely ridiculous.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:43 pm

what is it with Pens prospects and injuries?
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Noise wrote:what is it with Pens prospects and injuries?

They want to be like the big team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 pm

I not an expert by any means, nor do I claim to be, but I have a feeling that Vellieux will never crack an NHL lineup. I haven't been impressed with anything I've heard about him.

The prospect front looks a little iffy at this point. Caputi and Jeffery are so-so thus far in the AHL (but could very well still turn out to be NHL players) and Vellieux, to me, looks blah. Not exciting, but a small price to pay when all of your best prospects are actually in the NHL!

I'm very interested in Sneep and Strait. Neither are really known as offensive powerhouses, so it's hard for someone like me to look at stats and make any distinction,. Young defensemen are so unpredictable.

Nathan Moon is still putting up respectable numbers on a horrible team (9G 16A in 23 GP) and CPZ looks more promising every time I hear about him. We might not have any high profile draft picks to look for (like Esposito, the future super star [/sarcasm]), but enough to keep me checking out sites like http://www.faceoff-factor.com (can I have an e-cookie?).
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:40 pm

E-cookie granted. Haha.

I think our prospect pool is fair. We certainly have some interesting pieces. It's easy to overlook guys like Grant, Muzzin and Bortuzzo.

Remember, we just experienced a mass exodus of prospects to the NHL system. Kennedy, Letang, Goligoski, Christensen, Armstrong, Talbot, etc.

We're replenishing the system. If we hold onto a few picks this year, we'll take a big step in heading the right way.

Caputi got a ton of hype because Niagara was so good. It'll take time for him to adjust. He's still working on finding a few of the grittier parts of his game. His journey will be that of a typical prospect, and it'll be fun to watch.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:38 pm

Jesse, what do you think the balance of the season holds for Nick Johnson. Does he get another shot at WBS or is he stuck in Wheeling for the balance of the season? He has certainly lit up the scoresheet since being moved to the ECHL, 13G and 8A in 15 games.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:20 pm

CT,

I think he'll eventually make his way to the AHL, probably towards the end of the season. His progress in the ECHL is too good to ignore. It's great that he he took the demotion seriously and is putting up the best numbers of his career. It was a matter of there being too many solid forward spots in Wilkes-Barre, and he's using the top line time at Wheeling to his advantage.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks for the insight as always, Jesse.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:25 pm

I saw Alex Grant play in the Russia -QMJHL challenge last week. He has great physical size and skills, but absolutely zero hockey sense. I've only watched him play mostly in All Star game type formats so it is hard to evaluate a guy based on that format and a small sample size, but he appears to be just as dumb as he was last season.

He is a good pick because his size and skills can't be learned, but he has not impressed me much in the few times I've watched him play. If he had a brain he would have been a 1st round pick.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:09 pm

When you have 9 players (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Whitney, Letang, Goligoski, Talbot and Kennedy) who are 25 or younger already making huge impacts at the NHL and all still look to keep getting better you really don't need a really deep pool.

I think we have some good future players but they can come along slowly. Although Moller should have been selected instead of Veilleux and I think even instead of Esposito.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins