Could Tickets be cheaper soon?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Could Tickets be cheaper soon?

Postby npv708 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:25 am

Forbes and Yahoo think so, as it named the Pens one of the top 10 pro sport teams that could slash ticket prices...

Three-year ticket price increase: 27%

Projected 2009 employment growth: -1.1%

Projected 2009 real personal income growth: 1.4%

A sizable chunk of Pittsburgh's workforce is employed in the education and health services sector, keeping employment risk under control. Still, the cost for a family of four has jumped to $276 from $217 since the 2005-'06 season.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/18/mlb-st ... peed=15000

I personally, would rejoice at this since I'm a broke college student.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Could Tickets be cheaper soon?

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:39 am

Along with that drastic increase in price, we've also seen a drastic increase in talent and performance. Mongoose87 says niet to lowered prices.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby manicmonday18 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:49 am

THe biggest flaw with that logic is assuming that the Penguins are an Allegheny-and-surrounding-counties only phenomena. If a subset of people quit buying tickets, instead of lowering ticket prices a new subset would just swipe them up. The Penguins draw on a regular basis from Somerset-Bedford to Steubenville as far as a typical season ticket holder base. That's a huge population that can regularly[i][/i] make games. Add in those not always in town and those from out of town and no matter how poor those in Allegheny county get, others will be running right over them to pay current prices.
manicmonday18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Keith on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:20 am

With the success of the team and the streak of sell outs continuing to grow, the demand for Penguin tickets is at an all time high. As long as the demand for tickets exceeds the supply of tickets available for sale, prices will not come down.
Keith
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am

I personally don't think that demand this year is the same as last year. There are a LOT of tickets available on various places, and if you wait until the day of the game or so, many of these can be had for less than face value. I've bought some extra tickets for some games this year, and have easily been able to get into the club seats for $75/ticket. I also got seats in B10 for $60/ticket. That never happened last year. I think to some extent demand is already softening.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:53 am

No, we are about to go into a new arena as well. I will be surprised if the rates in the new arena aren't HIGHER.

Winning Cups aren't cheap.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:14 am

Same argument has been made a million times before. Like everything else with prices outside the consumer electronics sector, I'll believe it when I see it.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:15 am

Well atleast gas is cheaper. So going to the games cost less, but tickets are higher =~

bout the same.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:17 pm

The issue isn't as black and white as it seems. I don't pretend to know the Pens price optimization model or if they even have a model, but just because demand is inarguably less than last season, if the Pens lowered their prices, they would lose captive revenue (the 13.5K season tickets plus the single game seats purchased before the season started) that doesn't have price sensitivity at the current levels.

Think of it this way. If the Pens are sold out for every game and there is such substantial demand for their tickets that the ticket prices are bid up significantly in excess of face value prices in the secondary market, the Pens face value prices are obviously too low. That was the case last season. The fact that demand seems to be softer after the first ~ 16.5K tickets seems to indicate their prices are actually set at the right level to not drive away much potential revenue (only the last 500 seats) and still capture as much revenue as possible from the people that are willing to spend $$$ (the 1st 16.5K seats) on their product. This is how it was for much of the 90s.

The student rush strategy seems like the best way for the Pens to unload excess inventory rather than advance discounting. They can keep prices high until a few hours before the event and then at the last minute unload any excess inventory discounted only to a small demographic. They are not offering broad discounts to a large audience that would diminish the value of their product. The student rush program also has long term value because that demographic should in theory mature into working adults that can buy full price tickets once they finish their education and gain full time employment.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:16 pm

second hand tickets will become more expensive to get as the season goes on, especially after football season when the playoff picture becomes more clear. more of the games will "sell out" through the team in advance.

they won't be lowering the ticket prices, theres no reason. like the above poster said, the last minute student rush text message is a much better way to fill the place on a cold snowy tuesday night against some west coast basement team.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby burghsportsguys on Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:08 pm

They've gone up 27% over 2005/2006, but what are they relative to the 2003/2004 season?

Some (not many here) may forget that the Pens actually slashed prices about 5 years ago by quite a significant amount. So in a way they were playing catch-up to get to where they used to be.

Agree with some of the sentiment above, demand in Jan/Feb and onward will increase after Steeler season ends.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:14 pm

The Pens have people willing to plunk down money so they get on a list to be able to purchase season tickets. I'd say demand is high enough for them to keep the ticket prices where they are, if not raise them.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:18 pm

netwolf wrote:The Pens have people willing to plunk down money so they get on a list to be able to purchase season tickets. I'd say demand is high enough for them to keep the ticket prices where they are, if not raise them.

The economics are strong with this one.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:33 pm

Look at it this way. If the Pens cut tickets prices by $10 across the board they would take a hit of approximately 16,500 x $10. That is $165,000. If the $10 cut theoretically (there is no guarantee) stimulated an extra 632 people to buy tickets at an average price of $50, that would be $31,600 in new revenue. Why would the Pens cut prices to lose $$$? The new customers would not compensate for the loss in revenue from existing customers. There is no economic case that can be made where it would make sense for the Pens to cut prices. That is why they were content in the 90s with regular season crowds in the 15K to 16K range.

NHL hockey is premium entertainment. The Pens are selling value, not price, with Crosby, Malkin, MAF, etc. It isn't a price sensitive commodity like paper towels for example where people compare prices because they can get the common commodity from hundreds of merchants.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:58 pm

i would be happy if preseason games became free for full STH. not going to happen though.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:50 pm

As long as they keep overpaying these guys ticket prices will never go down. And YOU are paying for it. Someone said that as prices go up the quality of hockey goes up as well. Scores from 15 years ago are no different than today. A lot less money paid back then and pretty much the same product on the ice. Just inflated salaries not increased skill. Hockey back in the 80's was much more exciting and much more wide open ala gretzky and lemieux era. You can say what you want about the rule changes, it did not change the scoring. Nobody will ever crack the 200 pt season again.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:20 pm

holeinone wrote:As long as they keep overpaying these guys ticket prices will never go down. And YOU are paying for it. Someone said that as prices go up the quality of hockey goes up as well. Scores from 15 years ago are no different than today. A lot less money paid back then and pretty much the same product on the ice. Just inflated salaries not increased skill. Hockey back in the 80's was much more exciting and much more wide open ala gretzky and lemieux era. You can say what you want about the rule changes, it did not change the scoring. Nobody will ever crack the 200 pt season again.

Well, no one will ever crack the 200 pt season again due to better quality player. Back when Gretzky was ripping it up was when the NHL merged with the WHL. The quality of teams back then were horrid. Gretzky could put up 8 points against a horrible Hartford team any day. Today even teams like Atlanta or Tampa or Dallas that suck have skilled players which keep most games close. And you only play those teams X amount of times a year. back in the early 80's you would play a horrible expansion team 10 times + a season.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:51 pm

So what you are saying is that the only reason mario and wayne put us those kind of numbers is because the quality of teams was poor. And you think that teams like atl tb columbus islanders toronto should I keep going are quality teams. Give me a break You are, quite frankly, out of your mind. I think you have had too many beers today
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Ticket prices have very little to do with roster quality, at least directly. It's supply and demand. Toronto isn't that good, but they charge a high price because they know people will pay it.

To pensfan20's point though, you ice a team of average NHL players today and pit them against average players from the 80s, and the average players of today will win heavily and often. Players today are better athletes, better conditioned, especially goaltenders. That doesn't mean Gretzky and Lemieux lucked their way into 200 point seasons because of it, but it does mean you could plug a healthy Mario in his prime into today's league and he isn't going to score 200 points.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:29 pm

holeinone wrote:So what you are saying is that the only reason mario and wayne put us those kind of numbers is because the quality of teams was poor. And you think that teams like atl tb columbus islanders toronto should I keep going are quality teams. Give me a break You are, quite frankly, out of your mind. I think you have had too many beers today

No, not out of my mind. Obviously you dont remember hockey in the early to mid 80's. Not going to bother arguing with you, not my style. I never said Mario or Gretz didnt have skill. But like Netwolf pointed out either one at their prime in todays league dont reach 200 points.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guido on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:13 pm

I'd love to see prices lowered a bit, but certainly not at the expense of money available to ice a contending team (that is, players in addition to 'the core').

As far as tickets being available so far this season, I think as soon as the Stillers bubble is popped over the next few weeks, demand for Penguins tickets will sky rocket once again.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby holeinone on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:21 pm

I saw more hockey games than most of the people on this board. I was at game number 1 in 1967. If you put gretz and mario in their prime in this league they would still dominate, only once has 200 pts been put up but trust me they would still dominate anybody playing today. Case closed
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:30 pm

No one said they wouldn't. Neither would be racking up 200 points seasons either though.

Conversely, you let Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. loose on what passed for goaltenders back then before no one was into defensive systems... who knows what would happen? If Ovechkin can score 65 in today's NHL where team's gameplan and shadow him while shooting on bigger, faster, more athletic goaltenders, I don't think it's a stretch to think he'd make a pretty good run at the single season goal record.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:31 pm

holeinone wrote:I saw more hockey games than most of the people on this board. I was at game number 1 in 1967. If you put gretz and mario in their prime in this league they would still dominate, only once has 200 pts been put up but trust me they would still dominate anybody playing today. Case closed

Oh, so that explains where your overblown sense of self-worth comes from.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saveourpens on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:33 pm

Prices aren't going down anytime soon, and who in their right mind would take their family of 4 to an NHL hockey game?
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins