Gill = Suxor

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Gill = Suxor

Postby npv708 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:05 pm

Eaton better be starting next game and Shero better be looking for someone who wants Gill.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Gill = Suxor

Postby KG on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:07 pm

He's our 6th defensman. Possibly 7th if Eaton comes in and plays well...I'll take either Gill/Eaton to be the 6th/7th d man...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Right now, I'll take Eaton as my 6th dman and Gill as our 7th dman. But we all know it won't happen. MT loves the guy.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Metalmike on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:18 pm

Gill kills penalty's and in the Playoffs he was great. Eaton is the new Sydor who will sit. When Whitney and Gonchar get back, dont know what will happen to Eaton.

Metal Mike, Canada's #1 Penguins Fan.
Metalmike
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Get him on the PK where is lack of mobility isn't as big an issue and all he has to do with the puck is rifle it out as hard as he can, and he's decent. Problem is, at even strength those weaknesses can be exposed. Towards the end of the game (right around when MacDonald was pulled I think), the Isles dumped it in. He went back and got it and blindly wrapped it around the wall and an Isle made a pretty routine keep. Gill had no one within 20 feet of him at the time. Luckily, that didn't end up in the Pens' net. Now part of that is on Gill's teammates to tell him he has time there, but part of that's on him for not looking too.

IMO, he's a liability at even strength and that outweighs his value on the PK. If he added a physical presence or had a mean streak maybe I'd change my tune, but right now all he's good at is killing penalties.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:21 pm

netwolf wrote:Get him on the PK where is lack of mobility isn't as big an issue and all he has to do with the puck is rifle it out as hard as he can, and he's decent. Problem is, at even strength those weaknesses can be exposed. Towards the end of the game (right around when MacDonald was pulled I think), the Isles dumped it in. He went back and got it and blindly wrapped it around the wall and an Isle made a pretty routine keep. Gill had no one within 20 feet of him at the time. Luckily, that didn't end up in the Pens' net. Now part of that is on Gill's teammates to tell him he has time there, but part of that's on him for not looking too.

IMO, he's a liability at even strength and that outweighs his value on the PK. If he added a physical presence or had a mean streak maybe I'd change my tune, but right now all he's good at is killing penalties.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:09 am

netwolf wrote:Get him on the PK where is lack of mobility isn't as big an issue and all he has to do with the puck is rifle it out as hard as he can, and he's decent. Problem is, at even strength those weaknesses can be exposed. Towards the end of the game (right around when MacDonald was pulled I think), the Isles dumped it in. He went back and got it and blindly wrapped it around the wall and an Isle made a pretty routine keep. Gill had no one within 20 feet of him at the time. Luckily, that didn't end up in the Pens' net. Now part of that is on Gill's teammates to tell him he has time there, but part of that's on him for not looking too.

My question is, how does he get an A? Even if the guy is a beast in the lockerroom, a Braveheart type of speach giver... doesnt your play on ice mean anything? I like Gill, but yes he has not been good this season. Seems very weak for a guy of his size. I just dont know if this rubs off on younger guys? hope not...
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:16 am

You've got me there. I'd have left them with Orpik and Malkin. And if I was going to rotate them around, I think Talbot and Cooke would have been my next pair.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pensfan20 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:21 am

netwolf wrote:You've got me there. I'd have left them with Orpik and Malkin. And if I was going to rotate them around, I think Talbot and Cooke would have been my next pair.

Thats it. Even if you are rotating them around. Shouldnt they just go to the 2 most deserving guys? If that means the same 2 guys get them each month, then so be it. I think Geno should have it no matter what for his on ice leadership and then the 2nd could rotate.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:27 am

The fans don't decide "deserving".
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensfan20 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:28 am

Three Stars wrote:The fans don't decide "deserving".

If they did, every montreal player would have a C on their chest... :lol:
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am

On ice play really shouldn't have anything to do with you're being a captain. Well at least if you're playing poorly it shouldn't hurt your chances, on ice effort should probably have something to do with it. Its not like Gill is taking shifts off, he works hard every shift and thats all you can ask.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Three Stars on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:32 am

pensfan20 wrote:

(Looks at Montreal logo...)

Uh oh...
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensfan20 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:33 am

Three Stars wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:

(Looks at Montreal logo...)

Uh oh...

thats a CH.. :D
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:38 am

I think the coaches probably base it more on off the ice stuff, how they work in practice, what they're like in the locker room, if they're respected among their teammates, if they carry themselves like leaders. I agree, it's not something fans can really discuss much because they aren't on the inside.

I've said my piece about Gill plenty of times. He's obviously got his weaknesses. I think strictly defensively, he still plays smart and compensates for those. He's still their go-to PK defensemen. It came up in another thread, but the difference in the PK since he came over is striking. The team was at 79.6% before he made his Pens debut last year. They played at 84.9% the rest of the regular season, then at 87.1% in the playoffs, and they've been over 84% this season. I won't give him all the credit - his arrival also coincided with Scuderi breaking his finger, which opened the door for Orpik to assume a regular PK role, which he's done well with. But Gill's the guy playing big minutes there, along with Scuderi. I think his size is essential on the PK and it's something no one else on the team has. Once they have Gonchar and Whitney back and those guys are playing large minutes, they can more easily hide Gill on ES. I think a lot of the more frustrating moments from him actually come in the offensive zone, which isn't really his job anyway.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:31 am

Gill + a 7th for Schubert :idea:
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:38 am

Another SteigErrey adfirma-fictum (stating with vigor that which is not true) is that Gill is "outstanding" at clearing the puck. As netwolf pointed out, his clearing has been morbidly horrid this year. He always goes to the boards, even with time, but the kicker is that he has so little power doing it. No conviction. And more often than not, it's kept in. Baffling. (nb: I almost dropped last night when Scuderi actually thought for a split second and opted for the outlet up the middle rather than the dasher basher).

Still, Gill has a tremendous poke check. Just wish he'd body more.

Hit Somebody!!!
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby czwalga on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:44 am

I was a big gill supporter all last year when other were having their doubts. But he has been struggling the last 5-6 games. I wouldnt mind seeing eaton get the start just to show gill that there is no room for bad play someone is right there to take your place.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins