What was the reaction on here when we drafted Sid?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What was the reaction on here when we drafted Sid?

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:49 am

From what I read and understand there was an old Letsgopens board before this one. I obviously wasn't there for that.

I was just interested to see how/what the board reacted and said when we drafted Sid.

I remember cutting grass that day and coming in to watch the draft. My jaw about hit the floor once I found out we were getting him.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What was the reaction on here when we drafted Sid?

Postby Corvidae on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:51 am

We passed up on Bobby Ryan and many are still bitter.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DrBoni on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:52 am

I remember it taking me half the day to even be able to log in on lottery day.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:55 am

I am still pissed that we didn't take Carey Price.

How Patrick could pass up the next Patrick Roy is beyond me.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saveourpens on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:00 am

yeah, it was pretty insane here. i remember coming home from school, flicking on the tv and seeing bettman holding the envelope. When it said Pens I called everyone I knew.haha to think he could've been on the Ducks.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maagwa on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:03 am

I was like "Thats Cool". I didn't know anything about Crosby. I do have a question. Why is there alot more hype when a canadien superstar is drafted then a European/Eastern European
Maagwa

Postby pensfan20 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:08 am

Maagwa wrote:I was like "Thats Cool". I didn't know anything about Crosby. I do have a question. Why is there alot more hype when a canadien superstar is drafted then a European/Eastern European

For the exact reason you stated. A north american is well known in North america so you can make a big deal out of it. In Canada Sid was being interviewed back when he was 13. Probably even younger then that. SO everyone in Canada and most hockey fans in USA knew who he was and how great he was/would be. When a euro player gets drafted, alot of people have never seen or heard much about that player, so its not as big a deal until they start playing.. a la AO...
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:10 am

Oh and my reaction was "HOLY S*$@" honey get the credit card im on the phone with the Pittsburgh Penguins Customer Service people and i need it to buy our Season Tickets!!!!!

edit: btw the lottery took place 2 weeks after we had just bought our house and moved here to Pittsburgh, hence why i didnt have ST before hand.
Last edited by pensfan20 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:10 am

My one friend who played ice hockey with RJ Umberger, told me about Sid a couple years before he was even drafted. He was telling me about how he had his first interview in Canada at the age of 12. And I was just amazed with some of the things he was telling me. And I just remember from the time he told me those things about 87 how low our chances probably are in getting such a high caliber player like him. And when the day of the draft came, I just remember how anxiously nervous I was about hearing the news of which team would be in the envelope Bettman opened. I was so ecstatic and happy when I heard we got the 1st overall pick cause I knew we would get this kid. Probably one of the better moments in my life.

As a side note, I was also very pumped when we drafted Malkin. Because I kept hearing alot of experts saying that Malkin was a better player than AO. And that made me pretty excited to see him in a Pens uni. It took him a couple years, but boy has he made it big himself.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:14 am

I knew absolutely nothing about Malkin when they drafted him. I knew some people said he might be better than Ovechkin(who I also knew nothing about), but that was it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:19 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I knew absolutely nothing about Malkin when they drafted him. I knew some people said he might be better than Ovechkin(who I also knew nothing about), but that was it.

I heard bits and pieces of information of how he has great hands and that he was a superb skater. But I had no idea he was gonna be this good this fast when he entered the scene. He's just an animal. And quite frankly, he is really well on his way to proving why he is the best player in the world.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:25 am

Why So Serious? wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I knew absolutely nothing about Malkin when they drafted him. I knew some people said he might be better than Ovechkin(who I also knew nothing about), but that was it.

I heard bits and pieces of information of how he has great hands and that he was a superb skater. But I had no idea he was gonna be this good this fast when he entered the scene. He's just an animal. And quite frankly, he is really well on his way to proving why he is the best player in the world.

Gary Roberts wears Malkin jyjamas.

I live in Canada, so, naturally, all of the Leafs fans hated my guts when we won the Sid Lottery. Naturally, I already hated them, so it was perfect.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cs6687 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:52 am

I was at work when the lottery was going down. My friend texted me that the Pens got Crosby. I didn't believe him. I had to wait a half-hour before going to lunch to find out. It was the longest 30 minutes ever.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:11 am

cs6687 wrote:I was at work when the lottery was going down. My friend texted me that the Pens got Crosby. I didn't believe him. I had to wait a half-hour before going to lunch to find out. It was the longest 30 minutes ever.

lol that sucks.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:12 am

I remember buying his rookie card (Rimouski) off eBay a few hours later for 1 penny.

Same with Malkin's.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby André on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:33 am

I was coming home from a party. 4 am something, got a sms from a friend at the same time as I opened up my browser and saw the headline. I was already in a great mood and that just got me stunned. Haha 1 chance in 30, hahahha.

I'll never forget that night.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DrBoni on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:34 am

I was at Hocking Hills state part in "Nowhere," Ohio. I had pretty much put the lottery out of my mind, because really--the Pens had no shot of winning. Not with the luck the franchise had had lately. Because of my location, I was out of cell phone service. On my way home, I finally got the text from a buddy of mine that read simply "First pick."

I thought about that for awhile, and then it's meaning hit me. The Lottery.

I screamed "WE GOT HIM!" and almost took the car off the road with me. My girlfriend at the time was clueless and I spent the rest of the drive trying to explain it before I got home and unsuccessfully attempted to log on to LGP.

That's my Lottery Day story.
Last edited by DrBoni on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:36 am

DrBoni wrote:I was at Hocking Hills state part in "Nowhere," Ohio. I had pretty much put the lottery out of my mind because really, the Pens had no shot of winning. Not with the luck the franchise had had lately. Because of my location, I was out of cell phone service. On my way home, I got a text from a buddy of mine that read simply "First pick."

I thought about that for awhile, and then it's meaning hit me. The Lottery.

I screamed "WE GOT HIM!" and almost took the car off the road with me. My girlfriend at the time was clueless and I spent the rest of the drive trying to explain it before I got him and unsuccessfully attempted to log on to LGP.

That's my Lottery Day story.

lol wow
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jaysmiter on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:03 am

I actually remember drafting Malkin more than Crosby...because I remember standing outside my fraternity arguing about the benefits of Malkin v. Ovechkin.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby Elementary Penguin on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:36 am

I remember being at work at the gym. I'm a personal trainer, so I was out at the trainer's desk on the gym floor. I brought up NHL.com on the computer on the floor, and went "Wooooooah!" People looked at me weird, and I honestly got so excited that I had an adrenaline rush. I was shaking a little bit I was so excited. I kept telling people, "We got Crosby, we got Crosby." Of course, the only thing they said was "who?." Needless to say, everyone though I was weird.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Easton on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:49 am

I remember being sick as hell and not even knowing the draft was on that day. Then, waking up at 6 PM, playing NHL '04/'05, whatever it was - turning it off and tuning into Sportscenter and saying to myself "No f'n way."
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:13 am

Mongoose87 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

Gary Roberts wears Malkin jyjamas.

I live in Canada, so, naturally, all of the Leafs fans hated my guts when we won the Sid Lottery. Naturally, I already hated them, so it was perfect.

Win.

EDIT: actually, Win!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:17 am

Yea the only other sucky thing for me was I had to work that day. Right after the draft I had to go into work and the hockey season seemed so far away at the time.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JDJ8766 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:18 am

I was bartending at a popular local bar and when we the announcement was made I starting yelling "we got him, we got him!"

Noone in the place cared or knew who Sidney Crosby was.

It's amazing how far we've come since then.
JDJ8766
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:20 am

JDJ8766 wrote:I was bartending at a popular local place and when we the announcement was made I starting yelling "we got him, we got him!"

Noone in the place cared or knew who Sidney Crosby was.

It's amazing how far we've come since then.

If the pens won the right to draft tavares, even at the peak of his hype which would have been at last year's draft, people still wouldn't know who he was. Thats not an indictment on how much they pay attention or care about hockey, its just that everyone doesn't spend all their time following lower levels of hockey, not to mention the fact that he's up in Canada. If an American kid was lighting it up somewhere in the region, everyone would know about them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins