What was the reaction on here when we drafted Sid?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What was the reaction on here when we drafted Sid?

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:50 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:On draft lottery day, which of course what not the same day as the draft, I was still living near Pittsburgh as I had just graduated that summer. I was visiting my girlfriend in Philadelphia. We were staying at her sister's place and she only had basic cable. When I turned on the TV and found out about it, I was so exicted that we won that I screamed and scared both my girlfriend and her sister. I was very happy for the rest of the trip to say the least.

On draft day, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that we were drafting Sid. I still couldn't wait until the draft began and Craig Patrick and Mario went up to the podium to do the announcement. What a great day for hockey.

Yeah I didn't think it was on draft day, but the way some people were referring to it I couldn't be sure. I remember not even knowing the lottery was that day, and suddenly looking online and seeing it and getting many text messages at almost the same time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:33 am

SolidSnake wrote:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic lol but no Caps won the lottery and took AO. We took Geno with the 2nd pick.

They got the 1st pick, but we won the lottery.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:24 am

DrBoni wrote:I was at Hocking Hills state part in "Nowhere," Ohio. I had pretty much put the lottery out of my mind, because really--the Pens had no shot of winning. Not with the luck the franchise had had lately. Because of my location, I was out of cell phone service. On my way home, I finally got the text from a buddy of mine that read simply "First pick."

I thought about that for awhile, and then it's meaning hit me. The Lottery.

I screamed "WE GOT HIM!" and almost took the car off the road with me. My girlfriend at the time was clueless and I spent the rest of the drive trying to explain it before I got home and unsuccessfully attempted to log on to LGP.

That's my Lottery Day story.

That makes no sense considering how we were tied with a few teams (Islanders being one of them) with the most Lottery Balls, which gave us the HIGHEST shot of winning the lottery.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby beerman on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:47 am

I was at work all day on the day of the lottery and didn't find out until I got home and got on to pp.com to see what spot we got. When I saw it was number 1 I jumped out of the computer chair.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens12x on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:52 am

I remember being at work and listening to audio of the entire lottery at my computer. After the first 10 picks, I was e-mailing people to say the Penguins were still in the hunt. Same thing after the next 10 choices. I was psyched that they still had a chance, even if the odds remained small. Then, one by one, during the countdown from 10, I listened more and more intently with each pick. I was sending out mass e-mails with each pick from 5 on once the penguins survived each cut. When it came down to our boys and the Ducks, I just prayed. When they drew Anaheim in slot 2, I shouted and was jumping up and down in my office like a little kid ... couldn't believe the Pens' fortune. With him and Malkin, after seeing talents like Lemieux, Jagr and others come through this town, we've been EXTREMELY fortunate.
Pens12x
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tph7856 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:54 pm

Nizzy wrote:
DrBoni wrote:I was at Hocking Hills state part in "Nowhere," Ohio. I had pretty much put the lottery out of my mind, because really--the Pens had no shot of winning. Not with the luck the franchise had had lately. Because of my location, I was out of cell phone service. On my way home, I finally got the text from a buddy of mine that read simply "First pick."

I screamed "WE GOT HIM!" and almost took the car off the road with me. My girlfriend at the time was clueless and I spent the rest of the drive trying to explain it before I got home and unsuccessfully attempted to log on to LGP.

That makes no sense considering how we were tied with a few teams (Islanders being one of them) with the most Lottery Balls, which gave us the HIGHEST shot of winning the lottery.

I think he was speaking out of the idea that the penguins had crap luck. As he says. Statistically they had a great chance, yes.
tph7856
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:20 pm

tph7856 wrote:
Nizzy wrote:

I think he was speaking out of the idea that the penguins had crap luck. As he says. Statistically they had a great chance, yes.

I think he means that, even though we were tied for best chance, it still wasn't much of a chance.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:24 pm

Hey, I think what he meant was even though we had the best statistical chance, that we had bad luck and that there really wasn't that much of a chance.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:32 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic lol but no Caps won the lottery and took AO. We took Geno with the 2nd pick.

gold!

With Sidney, never saw him played until he was a penguin...wondering what is the big-arse deal about this guy? :wink: After the home opener against boston~ knew the answer. Watching a giddy Ken Sawyer, hearing Craig Patrick say that he went to Saint Patrick's Cathedral in NYC prior to the lottery thingy~ huge, freaking event. All leading to saving the pens!

~ to add :) rob rossi has an article in today's paper comparing Sidney and lebron J.
James wants to be the biggest / highest grossing paid athlete and easily could be that in NYC.
Thank-you Sid~ he is happy right here.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 00518.html

"I'm not setting myself up in a place because of marketing opportunities," Crosby said Wednesday prior to the Penguins' game at Nassau Coliseum against the New York Islanders. "I want to play in the best environment hockey-wise, and I feel like I have that in Pittsburgh."

"I live a pretty simple life; I want to play somewhere people are interested in the sport and for an organization that cares," Crosby said. "I've got a lot of that in Pittsburgh. I feel pretty fortunate to be there. It's not the biggest city, but it's a city I really like."

JOY!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:33 pm

penny lane wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

gold!

With Sidney, never saw him played until he was a penguin...wondering what is the big-arse deal about this guy? :wink: After the home opener against boston~ knew the answer. Watching a giddy Ken Sawyer, hearing Craig Patrick say that he went to Saint Patrick's Cathedral in NYC prior to the lottery thingy~ huge, freaking event. All leading to saving the pens!

~ to add :) rob rossi has an article in today's paper comparing Sidney and lebron J.
James wants to be the biggest / highest grossing paid athlete and easily could be that in NYC.
Thank-you Sid~ he is happy right here.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 00518.html

"I'm not setting myself up in a place because of marketing opportunities," Crosby said Wednesday prior to the Penguins' game at Nassau Coliseum against the New York Islanders. "I want to play in the best environment hockey-wise, and I feel like I have that in Pittsburgh."

"I live a pretty simple life; I want to play somewhere people are interested in the sport and for an organization that cares," Crosby said. "I've got a lot of that in Pittsburgh. I feel pretty fortunate to be there. It's not the biggest city, but it's a city I really like."

JOY!

That is an awesome article. Nice read.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby socket on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:19 pm

I was working at a little IT startup and none of the other 4 employees had any interest in hockey. I had my own tiny little office and I watched the whole draft lottery while instant messaging with my future brother in law.... I was so nervous and every one of those "commercial breaks" were painful... I'd walk in tiny little circles in my little cave... There was a big window that you could see into my office from the hallway... I kept seeing the 3 partners walking by and looking at me like I was nuts and probably wondering why I wasn't doing any work...

Then with the final "commercial break" I was ready to crap my pants when the pens were one of two left...

I jumped around like a maniac and yelled "WE GOT HIM!!!!" swearing and stuff... they didn't care at all... Oh well... Was super fun watching the lottery though. And is much more fun watching the pens now that the great DT and malone arent our "superstars"...
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins