Give Malkin the 'A'.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Give Malkin the 'A'.

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:27 am

Idoit40fans wrote:No! Bad JC. I like Hossa to DET.

fixt
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:31 am

JoseCuervo wrote:

fixt

You're making me angry. You probably wouldn't notice a difference when I'm angry.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:35 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:

fixt

You're making me angry. You probably wouldn't notice a difference when I'm angry.

idiot smash!

Don't be angry that hossa left. Embrace the fact that he went to a better team so he would have a better chance to win the cup. Be happy for him. :D
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shane613 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:42 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Permanently. He is ready for it. Gill and Scuderi are good team players and all, but Malkin's leadership is on a whole different level. To keep this topic kind of current...who gets the 'A's next? Kennedy and Staal? :D

pesonen and curry, but it will only be painted on his mask...minard will be the one to speak with refs
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:31 pm

I'd go back to Evgeni and Brooks till Sergei returns.
:) Evgeni's english is getting there, nice post game interview with D Potash on Wednesday.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:33 pm

I kinda wish they would just pick some A's and stay with it, the rotating seems odd to me. Why do they do it?
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:47 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:I kinda wish they would just pick some A's and stay with it, the rotating seems odd to me. Why do they do it?

Probably just symbolic to show the players that they can't just sit back and let their teammates do everything for them. It keeps everyone involved with the team and gets them experience. It's kind of like MT rotating the lines, IMO. He does it now so that when he has to make a decision come crunch time (ie playoffs), he knows who is the best fit and is confident they know what they are doing.

As I said above, I don't think the players look at each other any differently based on the A on the jersey. They know who the leaders are. It's basically just for show.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Part of MT's reward system, which he runs pretty well. Gill-Scuderi getting the A's was to commend them for their stellar job on the PK in the playoffs and continued into the season.

If I had to guess, two of Talbot, Cooke, Staal will be next. I'd like to see Letang with an A for a month before it settles on Malkin, Orpik, and Gonchar (home and away) going into the playoffs.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nuge on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:10 pm

Twisted Wrister wrote:It is just a letter, doesn't mean anything other than to talk to the refs.

As Hans said in Mighty Ducks 3, "C's are just letters, here I have hundreds of them."

lol.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:52 am

With the way things are going for Malkin I say don't change a thing.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensfan20 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:42 pm

bhaw wrote:I really don't think the As matter. All they really do is allow the player to interact with the refs. The players know who the leaders are on the team. A letter sewn on your shoulder doesn't change how your team looks at you if you are a good leader.

This is what i dont get. The "c" and the "A"'s, are for that, talking to the refs. SO, my thing is shouldnt the people who wear these letters be people that have experience and know how to talk to and maybe sway the refs a little? Maybe someone that the refs..hmm.. i dont know respect? I dont know when teams started giving letters to the Best player on the team. It goes to the leader and one who can properly talk to the refs. THat is the reason to wear it. Having Geno wear a letter i think is pointless and i dont know if Sid is the right person either. Neither one of them NEED a letter to be a great player and leader in the room. But when it comes to talking to the refs, let guys like Sykora or Gill ..etc. do the talking.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:15 pm

pensfan20 wrote:I dont know when teams started giving letters to the Best player on the team.

A long, long time ago. Even on the pens you can go back 10 years and see it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:11 pm

pensfan20 wrote:
bhaw wrote:I really don't think the As matter. All they really do is allow the player to interact with the refs. The players know who the leaders are on the team. A letter sewn on your shoulder doesn't change how your team looks at you if you are a good leader.

This is what i dont get. The "c" and the "A"'s, are for that, talking to the refs. SO, my thing is shouldnt the people who wear these letters be people that have experience and know how to talk to and maybe sway the refs a little? Maybe someone that the refs..hmm.. i dont know respect? I dont know when teams started giving letters to the Best player on the team. It goes to the leader and one who can properly talk to the refs. THat is the reason to wear it. Having Geno wear a letter i think is pointless and i dont know if Sid is the right person either. Neither one of them NEED a letter to be a great player and leader in the room. But when it comes to talking to the refs, let guys like Sykora or Gill ..etc. do the talking.

I think part of the rotation is to get as many guys experienced talking to them as possible, in addition to the reward system. It doesn't hurt to get Malkin talking to the refs now. He may be doing it full time come next year or the year after. It also doesn't hurt to rotate it around as there are only a few guys on the team guaranteed to be here beyond the next 2 years.

The letters, IMO, have very little to do with who the leaders on the team are. It's not like there are guys in the locker room telling their teammates to "Shut up b/c you aren't a captain!"
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:I dont know when teams started giving letters to the Best player on the team.

Typically the best players are the ones around the longest. I agree with giving the Cs and As to those guys to create stability. I also think a ref is more prone to listen to Mario Lemieux than, say, Rob Scuderi. While talent doesn't determine how well you interact with the refs, it's easier to take a better player seriously when talking about calls. You can also bet your ass that a ref would be more willing to give an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for b*tching to Max Talbot over Sidney Crosby.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby isotopes014 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:15 pm

i think the c is more important than you guys give credit, and the a is as well. it can even work on a subconcious level for malkin. being given the a then not wearing it could make him feel worse about his play, and having the a could give him the fuel that he had when cros was hurt.

stop underrating the a..
isotopes014
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Easton on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:44 pm

isotopes014 wrote:i think the c is more important than you guys give credit, and the a is as well. it can even work on a subconcious level for malkin. being given the a then not wearing it could make him feel worse about his play, and having the a could give him the fuel that he had when cros was hurt.

stop underrating the a..

Your point is well proved with Malkin's drop in play since the A was given to someone else. C'mon, think before you say something.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:11 pm

Easton wrote:
isotopes014 wrote:i think the c is more important than you guys give credit, and the a is as well. it can even work on a subconcious level for malkin. being given the a then not wearing it could make him feel worse about his play, and having the a could give him the fuel that he had when cros was hurt.

stop underrating the a..

Your point is well proved with Malkin's drop in play since the A was given to someone else. C'mon, think before you say something.

I don't think Malkin is a soft pee wee player who gets his feelings hurt when a predetermined event (rotating the As) actually takes place as the coach said it would.

Plus if the other guys never got to wear the A, they probably wouldn't invite Malkin to their birthday parties.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:17 pm

bhaw wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Typically the best players are the ones around the longest. I agree with giving the Cs and As to those guys to create stability. I also think a ref is more prone to listen to Mario Lemieux than, say, Rob Scuderi. While talent doesn't determine how well you interact with the refs, it's easier to take a better player seriously when talking about calls. You can also bet your ass that a ref would be more willing to give an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for b*tching to Max Talbot over Sidney Crosby.

I was talking about Jagr, not Lemieux. Lemieux deserved the C.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jimmy Straka on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:17 pm

I don't think it would make the team any better, but Malkin definitely deserves it. His effort is an example to everyone.
Jimmy Straka

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:24 pm

stop underrating the a..

Geno isn't Charlie Conway from the Mighty Ducks 3 when Coach Orion took away his "C".
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Easton on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:33 pm

bhaw wrote:
Easton wrote:

stop underrating the a..

I don't think Malkin is a soft pee wee player who gets his feelings hurt when a predetermined event (rotating the As) actually takes place as the coach said it would.

Plus if the other guys never got to wear the A, they probably wouldn't invite Malkin to their birthday parties.

Malkin's just going to get mad now that he doesn't have the A, so when he does get invited he'll say he's bringing the main dish -- and never show up. He'll eat the pizza all by himself.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:41 pm

Easton wrote:Malkin's just going to get mad now that he doesn't have the A, so when he does get invited he'll say he's bringing the main dish -- and never show up. He'll eat the pizza all by himself.

He'll probably take all of the balls out of the ball pit too.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Easton on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:59 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Easton wrote:Malkin's just going to get mad now that he doesn't have the A, so when he does get invited he'll say he's bringing the main dish -- and never show up. He'll eat the pizza all by himself.

He'll probably take all of the balls out of the ball pit too.

That's pretty low. That A would have to mean a lot to him to do that.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Billkamm on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:31 pm

Let's bring back Jagr and give him the C and Crosby the A
Billkamm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins