Minard?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Minard?

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:14 pm

What*a up with this guy? He*s got 16 freakin goals in 19 gp in WBS,but he doesnt get call up before Peso!? i dont get it. I saw him play only twice and he wasnt bad at all from what i saw. Will he become next Jason Krog? AHL scoring leader,but just not NHL player.
I think we should give him a chance on Sid*s LW for a couple(3-4) of games and then give him credit or sent him back down..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Minard?

Postby pens#1 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:16 pm

he was up for a handful of games last season and i think the St Louis game this season, soo far hasnt done anything memorable in the NHL
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Because the upside of Pesonen playing with potentially Crosby or Malkin is greater than Minard's.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Pens4Life I see exactly what your getting at. You're basically saying Minard has earned it more then Pesonen? You might have a good point, I just think, that they think Pesonen could end up playing a bigger role for the Penguins then Minard.

We will see though.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Because Minard is a career AHL'er. Pesonen has NHL potential.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:27 pm

Why does everyone want AHL scrubs to get shots on Sid's LW?? Only bonified NHLers should be within 20 feet of Sid or Geno.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:29 pm

The minors aren't about earning your trip to the big time, they're about evaluating prospects. 16 goals is one thing, but the question is, how did he score those goals?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:30 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Why does everyone want AHL scrubs to get shots on Sid's LW?? Only bonified NHLers should be within 20 feet of Sid or Geno.

When you have the best two players in the world, they make a lot.

So sometimes, less than "bonafide NHLers" is all that's doable.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WWGRD on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:33 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:The minors aren't about earning your trip to the big time, they're about evaluating prospects. 16 goals is one thing, but the question is, how did he score those goals?

Well here's 3 of them..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyV40etRFis
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:35 pm

WWGRD wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:The minors aren't about earning your trip to the big time, they're about evaluating prospects. 16 goals is one thing, but the question is, how did he score those goals?

Well here's 3 of them..

Neither 3 really bode well in an argument that he should be brought up before somebody else. He found the open ice and had someone make the perfect pass to him.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:35 pm

I don't know if Minard will ever graduate full time to the NHL, though I'm leaning towards not. I'm pretty sure he doesn't skate anywhere close to good enough to play with Crosby though.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:36 pm

purelebo84 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Why does everyone want AHL scrubs to get shots on Sid's LW?? Only bonified NHLers should be within 20 feet of Sid or Geno.

This team is too good and has enough depth on wing as-is without needing to put some scrub call-ups on the top 2 lines. The only way Pesonen should get top line minutes is by earning it by showing the coaches he can handle 4th line duty first.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Kicksave wrote:
WWGRD wrote:

Well here's 3 of them..

Neither 3 really bode well in an argument that he should be brought up before somebody else. He found the open ice and had someone make the perfect pass to him.

So if Taffe and Pesonen made the perfect pass to him, why can't Malkin or Crosby?
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:37 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:

This team is too good and has enough depth on wing as-is without needing to put some scrub call-ups on the top 2 lines. The only way Pesonen should get top line minutes is by earning it by showing the coaches he can handle 4th line duty first.

If a guy is an offensive player, how is he going to showcase his talents playing with Zigomanis and Eric Godard?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:39 pm

Kicksave wrote:
WWGRD wrote:

Well here's 3 of them..

well...he's a finisher at least.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:39 pm

Kicksave wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

If a guy is an offensive player, how is he going to showcase his talents playing with Zigomanis and Eric Godard?

He can show the coaches that he plays with energy, good in the corners, and is responsible 2-way. Exhibit A: Tyler Kennedy. He earned his way to decent playing minutes by playing well on the 4th line.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:41 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Kicksave wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

He can show the coaches that he plays with energy, good in the corners, and is responsible 2-way. Exhibit A: Tyler Kennedy. He earned his way to decent playing minutes by playing well on the 4th line.

But, to be completely honest, Tyler Kennedy's potential is at best a complimentary top line player. Somebody who will muck and grind and be the 3rd wheel and score a few here and there. Pesonen has the chance to be a better offensive threat.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:44 pm

This is only Minard's 3rd season starting in the AHL. He's worked his way up the system after going undrafted. That's why he's 27 and in the AHL. I wouldn't call him a career minor leaguer yet. Though he may turn out that way, he does have a good shot and works hard. He's got a small window to make it in the NHL as shooting winger. I imagine the Pens are giving Pesonen the chance because he's on 1 year deal. This may be one of the only opportunities for both sides to evaluate each other.

In his NHL debut, I think he would have stuck around given his effort and speed, except he blew a defensive assignment. So let's hope for all the Nanananananians that he's learned Therrien's rules.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:54 pm

all people look at is stats. . .

but there are so many things that don't show up on the stat sheet that may tell you why perhaps Minard stays down and Pesonen comes up.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:55 pm

And is he fast enough and strong enough to score those goals in the NHL?
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:55 pm

Noise wrote:all people look at is stats. . .

but there are so many things that don't show up on the stat sheet that may tell you why perhaps Minard stays down and Pesonen comes up.

Yeah like the fact that Pesonen is way more of a playmaker than a finisher and Minard is more of a finisher than a playmaker. Wait...

But really, Pesonen is a better offensive talent than Minard, he should be called up before Minard(Who I agree is at best a career fringe NHL/AHLer)
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:24 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Kicksave wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

I really just don't think it makes sense to say that someone who could eventually be a top-six player should show that he is a capable fourth line player. Some guys who have the offensive talent to be a top-six forward simply aren't going to thrive in an "energy" role, and I can't see what's so wrong with that. Imagine a guy like Sykora on a fourth/energy line. He wouldn't be a very effective player. At all.

I hate the idea that a guy has to prove himself on an NHL third/fourth line before he gets top-six minutes. Its wrong to suggest that the progression of a player ought to be 4-3-2-1 in the minors and then 4-3-2-1 in the bigs, certain players' skillsets will only be put to good use if they are playing with other talented players and they are allowed to be creative.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:24 pm

Noise wrote:

And is he fast enough and strong enough to score those goals in the NHL?

He already has, last year
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kicksave on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:26 pm

Kraftster wrote:I really just don't think it makes sense to say that someone who could eventually be a top-six player should show that he is a capable fourth line player. Some guys who have the offensive talent to be a top-six forward simply aren't going to thrive in an "energy" role, and I can't see what's so wrong with that. Imagine a guy like Sykora on a fourth/energy line. He wouldn't be a very effective player. At all.

I hate the idea that a guy has to prove himself on an NHL third/fourth line before he gets top-six minutes. Its wrong to suggest that the progression of a player ought to be 4-3-2-1 in the minors and then 4-3-2-1 in the bigs, certain players' skillsets will only be put to good use if they are playing with other talented players and they are allowed to be creative.

Agreed.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Kraftster wrote:I really just don't think it makes sense to say that someone who could eventually be a top-six player should show that he is a capable fourth line player. Some guys who have the offensive talent to be a top-six forward simply aren't going to thrive in an "energy" role, and I can't see what's so wrong with that. Imagine a guy like Sykora on a fourth/energy line. He wouldn't be a very effective player. At all.

I don't know, some guys should prove themselves on lower lines, but I agree Pesonen isn't that kind of player. They could probably get away with playing him on a line with Staal and Fedotenko or Cooke though. Thats a pretty legit line.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins