Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby Three Stars on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:39 pm

pcm wrote:Ah well, not much time to dwell on it. Redemption vs the Devils in less than 24 hrs.


Let's sing a song about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yXRGdZdonM
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,575
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:41 pm

Three Stars wrote:
pcm wrote:Ah well, not much time to dwell on it. Redemption vs the Devils in less than 24 hrs.


Let's sing a song about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yXRGdZdonM


Or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpX3NhpRGdE
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,362
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:56 am
Location: A parallel universe called New Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby dagny on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:44 pm

DelPen wrote:So now I'm 9-1-1. Switching to Bourbon next game.


No way! You're not going to go undefeated. That's a phenomenal record, stick with what's been working! :D
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,665
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: 68 who?

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby Three Stars on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:47 pm

I guess yacht rock is too hip for the room. (postzomgboom)
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,575
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby pcm on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:52 pm

Three Stars wrote:
pcm wrote:Ah well, not much time to dwell on it. Redemption vs the Devils in less than 24 hrs.


Let's sing a song about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yXRGdZdonM



I like this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRwmZ2bp_B0
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,081
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby pcm on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:53 pm

Them pirates
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,081
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby farnham16 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:52 am

Mike Yeo seriously needs to be fired or something drastic has to be done to this powerplay. We just lost 2 points because of it. For a team with this much talent to be this poor on the powerplay is unacceptable.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby saveourpens on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:03 am

farnham16 wrote:Mike Yeo seriously needs to be fired or something drastic has to be done to this powerplay. We just lost 2 points because of it. For a team with this much talent to be this poor on the powerplay is unacceptable.


yeah, maybe he should make like JC and bring back Whitney and Gonchar next game.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:34 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:10 am

saveourpens wrote:not gonna say that the refs cost the Pens the game with their platter of FAIL in the last 10 seconds, but in a game of inches, it sure didn't help, neither did the defence.


Considering the number of powerplays the pens got, no room to say anything about the refs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,547
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:11 am

saveourpens wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Mike Yeo seriously needs to be fired or something drastic has to be done to this powerplay. We just lost 2 points because of it. For a team with this much talent to be this poor on the powerplay is unacceptable.


yeah, maybe he should make like JC and bring back Whitney and Gonchar next game.


You hear that JC? Get to work! I know you'll read this sometime tonight.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,547
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby wallflower on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:15 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
saveourpens wrote:not gonna say that the refs cost the Pens the game with their platter of FAIL in the last 10 seconds, but in a game of inches, it sure didn't help, neither did the defence.


Considering the number of powerplays the pens got, no room to say anything about the refs.

The only real complaint I have about the refs was the whistle at the end of the game when the puck was pretty obviously not frozen.

I couldn't even watch the power play. Seriously - I pulled my hoodie over my head every time.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:17 am

wallflower wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
saveourpens wrote:not gonna say that the refs cost the Pens the game with their platter of FAIL in the last 10 seconds, but in a game of inches, it sure didn't help, neither did the defence.


Considering the number of powerplays the pens got, no room to say anything about the refs.

The only real complaint I have about the refs was the whistle at the end of the game when the puck was pretty obviously not frozen.

I couldn't even watch the power play. Seriously - I pulled my hoodie over my head every time.

Yeah that was bad, but still, they had plenty of chances.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,547
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:22 am

I don't know what else Yeo can do. Therrien made it pretty clear with his "it can't be tic tac toe all the time" comments a few games back that the guys out there aren't following the gameplan for the power play. They've made some personnel adjustments, adding Kennedy and Cooke to the mix in the hopes of getting an infusion of work ethic. Would more personnel changes make a difference? If so, how?

Maybe it's time to create two balanced units? Maybe splitting the talent between two separate units would "dilute" it enough so that the people out there wouldn't rely on pure talent as much and go back to the simple plays instead of the fancy ones. How about:

Kennedy-Crosby-Satan-Boucher-Goligoski
Cooke-Staal-Sykora-Letang-Malkin

If not that, then keep the top unit stacked and use Cooke-Staal-Kennedy as the forwards on the second? If they can produce at even strength, you'd think they'd be just as effective up a man.

I have no idea how well any of that would work, but I'm not sure what other options are available besides leaving things alone and letting them work through it or doing something really drastic like benching the entire first power play unit for at least the first chance and sending out Pesonen-Zigomanis-Dupuis-Scuderi-Orpik to see if the point about looking for the simple play gets through then.

Can you imagine the uproar if the coaches actually did the latter? :twisted:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,347
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby wallflower on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:22 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah that was bad, but still, they had plenty of chances.

I think the Pens should seriously consider declining power plays. At least for the time being. I know this stuff goes in cycles but right now they're giving the other team momentum. (this is mostly sarcastic, btw, folks.)

I won't pretend that I know how to fix whatever the problem is however.
Last edited by wallflower on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby wallflower on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:23 am

netwolf wrote:I have no idea how well any of that would work, but I'm not sure what other options are available besides leaving things alone and letting them work through it or doing something really drastic like benching the entire first power play unit for at least the first chance and sending out Pesonen-Zigomanis-Dupuis-Scuderi-Orpik to see if the point about looking for the simple play gets through then.

Can you imagine the uproar if the coaches actually did the latter? :twisted:

Normally, I would just laugh but, really: could they do any worse?
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:26 am

Actually, to send the point home even further, subtract Pesonen and put Godard out there. Maybe Gill in place of Dupuis too. They can go screen the opposing goaltender. ;)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,347
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby Why So Serious? on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:29 am

I'm telling you. This team just needs to spot the opposition 2-3 goals. Skip the first 2 periods and just play the third.

A 20 minute game down by 3 goals. 82-0 right there if that happens every night.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,610
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: This aggression will not stand, man

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby wallflower on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:29 am

Maybe even send in Orpik to crash the net. He could possibly take over Malone's old role.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:37 am

I still think the should just roll lines like regular on the pp. Have them play like normal too and shoot at the same times they normally would(when they get the open shot), which should occur more often.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,547
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:19 am

I missed a lot of the game, but you're going to have these ones. They tend to even out. You aren't going to win them all. You're not going to come back in them all. You're going to blow some of them. Eventually, when it's not November, they're going to get it. This is still the fifth best team in the NHL by point percentage and they've definitely got plenty of room for improvement. That's cause for a lot of optimism.

Remember when Crosby was on pace for 19 goals? Now he's on pace for 37. Funny how that changes. That first goal of his was another to add to the highlight reel. I'll accept that Malkin is on Crosby's level, just don't sell Sid short. He's an unbelievable player.

I saw about half the game and saw the rest of the important stuff on the highlights. This is the Curry I saw in the playoffs for WBS last year that impressed me. The guy has the knack for making ridiculous saves when he's hung out to dry. I feel he's definitely got a future in the NHL. I look forward to seeing more of him.

Special teams have been lagging lately, especially the PP. It's going to bust out sooner or later. Let's hope for some redemption against a Brodeur-less Devils tomorrow night. This team has wayyyyy too much talent to stay at 18th on the PP for very long.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby Stan Potash on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:24 am

netwolf wrote:
Stan Potash wrote:not to be a total jerk (only kind of a jerk) but paul alexander is absolutely clueless when it comes to calling hockey highlights. i'm just sayin.

ok i'm leaving.


Is it because he went to the Gary Thorne School of Pronunciation or is it because his timing is so far off? Just curious...

Nice to see Geno's hands off to a nice start.


I'd say mostly because his pronunciation is questionable and his timing is way off. But that's not his fault. He just doesn't really know hockey or the players' names. He's just reading the prompter. And it's kind of funny that my name is "Stan Potash" and I'm giving Paul Alexander a hard time. I'm really not trying to be a jerk. It's just something that's bothered me for a while and I was wondering if anybody else gets the impression that he just really doesn't know hockey.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,988
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:12 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:57 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
saveourpens wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Mike Yeo seriously needs to be fired or something drastic has to be done to this powerplay. We just lost 2 points because of it. For a team with this much talent to be this poor on the powerplay is unacceptable.


yeah, maybe he should make like JC and bring back Whitney and Gonchar next game.


You hear that JC? Get to work! I know you'll read this sometime tonight.


just did. F-that.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby André on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:53 am

I feel asleep after 1 period :(

Oh well...
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,309
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Re: Official GDT 11/28/08 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres

Postby DocEmrick on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:30 am

André wrote:I feel asleep after 1 period :(

Oh well...


Same.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,217
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FLPensFan and 8 guests

e-mail