Letang and Goligoski

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Letang and Goligoski

Postby Old Time Hockey on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:25 pm

Ok, I have been holding my tongue all season until now. Everyone sings the praise of both of these guys, but I have not seen anything from them. They have been disappointing all season to me, but everyone praises them like they are playing well. Wake Up People, these two guys are not playing well! The reason we lost tonight is that both of these guys are SOFT in front of the net. Goligoski should be ashamed of himself for letting Gaustad bully him in front of the net on the last goal which cost us the game. MT needs to call both of them out in the post game show because if they were not so SOFT in front of the net, the Pens would have won this game. All night long, the Sabres would drive to the net and the Pens defensemen would have no answer for them. Curry made some great saves tonight, but he sits too far back in his crease which is my only complaint about him.
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,781
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby Three Stars on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:27 pm

This post is funny if you read it to the tune of "One Week" by BNL.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,577
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby joeyg412 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:27 pm

the power play?
joeyg412
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: North Hills

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby Old Time Hockey on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Has anyone else besides me not been impressed with these two all season?
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,781
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby Old Time Hockey on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:32 pm

Trade them for Kovalchuk ASAP
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,781
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:35 pm

Old Time Hockey wrote:Has anyone else besides me not been impressed with these two all season?



Letang hasnt dissapointed me this season other than the fact that he does not shoot.


Gogo is drastically overrated on this board.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,476
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby bhaw on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:36 pm

Letang is doing pretty well given he is being thrown out as a top pairing guy in his 2nd full year.

Goligoski will be in the AHL once Whitney is back. He is absolutely horrid in the defensive end, and if he isn't helping the PP like he was early in the season, there's no reason to have him up here. He will be a good defenseman in the NHL one day, but he's making too many rookie mistakes and his decision making is very slow.

Letang is a small guy. He plays pretty well given that fact. He goes to the boards hard. I just wish he found his offensive touch again. Right now, he may just be in a bit of a shock given his current role on the team. Whitney should help him out a little, and Gonchar will put him back into the bottom half of the defensive depth chart again where he will be a better fit.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,041
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:38 pm

bhaw wrote:Letang is doing pretty well given he is being thrown out as a top pairing guy in his 2nd full year.

Goligoski will be in the AHL once Whitney is back. He is absolutely horrid in the defensive end, and if he isn't helping the PP like he was early in the season, there's no reason to have him up here. He will be a good defenseman in the NHL one day, but he's making too many rookie mistakes and his decision making is very slow.

Letang is a small guy. He plays pretty well given that fact. He goes to the boards hard. I just wish he found his offensive touch again. Right now, he may just be in a bit of a shock given his current role on the team. Whitney should help him out a little, and Gonchar will put him back into the bottom half of the defensive depth chart again where he will be a better fit.

I'd rather see Gogo as the seventh and Gill and Eaton gone.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,949
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: The 412

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:39 pm

There have been very few occasions this season where I have been impressed by a play that Gogo had made, especially on the PP. I don't understand what he has done on the PP to deserve to be on the top unit. I can't wait for Whitney to get back. Gogo is quickly becoming my least favorite Penguin.

I'm not saying that he won't be better in the future, because he will. But right now he's been horrible imo.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby Old Time Hockey on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:39 pm

I was never a big Hal Gill fan, but he is a solid D-Man. Eaton was playing well the past game or two before the Boucher trade. I would put Eaton in tomorrow for Goligoski.
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,781
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:40 pm

Goligoski is a rookie defenseman. He's up because two guys got hurt (Whitney and Gonchar) and Eaton wasn't playing well. He's going to have problems in his end. If anyone expected him to play mistake free hockey in his end, then I'd say your expectations were too high.

Letang is as physical as he can be at his size. If a forward that's 2+ inches taller and 20+ pounds heavier barrels in on the crease with a head of steam, there isn't going to be much he can do to stop the advance. He's not going to be a crease clearer at 6', 200 lbs. He's got to play positional defense and use his stick to prevent passes from getting to the guy he's covering.

IMO, both guys have hit the rough patches you can expect from young defensemen, but overall are doing well in the roles they're being asked to fill. They haven't been perfect, but who is, especially in their first and second years respectively?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,413
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby bhaw on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:40 pm

purelebo84 wrote:
bhaw wrote:Letang is doing pretty well given he is being thrown out as a top pairing guy in his 2nd full year.

Goligoski will be in the AHL once Whitney is back. He is absolutely horrid in the defensive end, and if he isn't helping the PP like he was early in the season, there's no reason to have him up here. He will be a good defenseman in the NHL one day, but he's making too many rookie mistakes and his decision making is very slow.

Letang is a small guy. He plays pretty well given that fact. He goes to the boards hard. I just wish he found his offensive touch again. Right now, he may just be in a bit of a shock given his current role on the team. Whitney should help him out a little, and Gonchar will put him back into the bottom half of the defensive depth chart again where he will be a better fit.

I'd rather see Gogo as the seventh and Gill and Eaton gone.


1. Goligoski is better served actually playing in the AHL.
2. Neither of those guys have much trade value.
3. As you can see, depth is needed. Having those guys around will be a welcomed luxury as the season goes.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,041
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:40 pm

Remember, the proper term is SOFF!

I am not disappointed as much as it is their youth really shows sometimes.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,510
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby Old Time Hockey on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:43 pm

Send down Pesonen and call Minard up too. Pesonen is no where near ready to play in the NHL.
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,781
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:44 pm

Old Time Hockey wrote:Ok, I have been holding my tongue all season until now. Everyone sings the praise of both of these guys, but I have not seen anything from them. They have been disappointing all season to me, but everyone praises them like they are playing well. Wake Up People, these two guys are not playing well! The reason we lost tonight is that both of these guys are SOFT in front of the net. Goligoski should be ashamed of himself for letting Gaustad bully him in front of the net on the last goal which cost us the game. MT needs to call both of them out in the post game show because if they were not so SOFT in front of the net, the Pens would have won this game. All night long, the Sabres would drive to the net and the Pens defensemen would have no answer for them. Curry made some great saves tonight, but he sits too far back in his crease which is my only complaint about him.


Image
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,363
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:56 am
Location: A parallel universe called New Pittsburgh

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby bhaw on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:44 pm

netwolf wrote:Goligoski is a rookie defenseman. He's up because two guys got hurt (Whitney and Gonchar) and Eaton wasn't playing well. He's going to have problems in his end. If anyone expected him to play mistake free hockey in his end, then I'd say your expectations were too high.

Letang is as physical as he can be at his size. If a forward that's 2+ inches taller and 20+ pounds heavier barrels in on the crease with a head of steam, there isn't going to be much he can do to stop the advance. He's not going to be a crease clearer at 6', 200 lbs. He's got to play positional defense and use his stick to prevent passes from getting to the guy he's covering.

IMO, both guys have hit the rough patches you can expect from young defensemen, but overall are doing well in the roles they're being asked to fill. They haven't been perfect, but who is, especially in their first and second years respectively?


This is what I was getting at. Both are very young. Letang is playing top pairing in his 2nd year. Goligoski would never have been in the NHL this year if not for injuries. They are making expected errors, but as the team gets healthy, it will allow them to play in their proper roles that they should be in this year.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,041
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:45 pm

Old Time Hockey wrote:Send down Pesonen and call Minard up too. Pesonen is no where near ready to play in the NHL.


I hardly saw Pesonen out there. Anybody know how many minutes he logged in tonight?
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,510
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:48 pm

Pesonen had 10 shifts for 6:02. Special teams and the reuiniting of Sid/Malkin really hurt him with icetime.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby bhaw on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:49 pm

Daniel87 wrote:Pesonen had 10 shifts for 6:02. Special teams and the reuiniting of Sid/Malkin really hurt him with icetime.


The score really hurt him. He won't get much time in a close game.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,041
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Old Time Hockey wrote:Send down Pesonen and call Minard up too. Pesonen is no where near ready to play in the NHL.


What makes Minard more ready for the NHL then Pesonen?
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Oddly enough, he got 5 on his 10 shifts in the 3rd period though.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,413
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby bhaw on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Daniel87 wrote:
Old Time Hockey wrote:Send down Pesonen and call Minard up too. Pesonen is no where near ready to play in the NHL.


What makes Minard more ready for the NHL then Pesonen?


Minard would have had the same or less time than Pesonen did tonight.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,041
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby bhaw on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:51 pm

netwolf wrote:Oddly enough, he got 5 on his 10 shifts in the 3rd period though.


The Pens were up or tied for most of the third.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,041
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby Old Time Hockey on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:09 am

Minard is quicker and more NHL ready than Pesonen. Pesonen got bumped off the puck too easily tonight and Minard would not get bumped as easily.
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,781
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:14 am

If the call up is only going to get 6 minutes, I don't think it really matters who it is.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,413
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: longtimefan, Scate and 10 guests


e-mail