Letang and Goligoski

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Letang and Goligoski

Postby Old Time Hockey on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:16 am

I would like to see Pesonen play on a line for a period or two with either Malkin or Crosby. Might as well give him a chance because none of the other wingers are doing the job right now.
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:21 am

I'm kind of torn on that. On one hand I agree, because the little I've seen of Pesonen suggests he'd be do well in a top 6 role and they haven't found a fit on the left side of either Malkin or Crosby.

On the other hand, I've never been a fan of the "give him a shot, he can't be any worse" reasoning for anything.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:16 am

On the shift I noticed him with Malkin on, he got hit and was invisible the rest of the shift. I was open to the idea before, but skeptical now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:55 am

We can't send Pesonen down until he's spent at least 25 games on Sid's wing. It is the law.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:11 am

Pesonen is about as strong as a wet noodle. Anyone else notice him get knocked down every time he touched the puck? He truly plays like the European stereotype.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:13 am

You mean... young defensemen... aren't always playing like all-stars?
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:16 am

Henry Hank wrote:You mean... young defensemen... aren't always playing like all-stars?

The funny thing is that Letang hasn't been that far off. He's been as complete a defender as you could ask. Gogo has been putting the puck more than you'd expect from a player of his experience level which may or may not make up for his defensive deficiencies, but he's far ahead of where you'd expect him to be at this point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:23 am

Like I said in another thread, I missed about half of tonight's game, but overall I haven't seen much to complain about with Letang. He got embarrassed on Hunter's goal the other night, but that's part bad luck/bad bounce as much as anything. I think he's held up extremely well given the large load on his shoulders and is contributing in every way a defenseman can. Goligoski's definitely been rough, but he's a rookie defenseman being given a large responsibility with the top two D out. He'll eventually end up back in the minors to work on things and will be back even better next year. There's just that percentage of fans that have no sense of patience or perspective when it comes to young players.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stan Potash on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:01 am

Wait. When you said "SOFT," did you mean to say "SOFF?" I think a lot of confusion in this thread would vanish if we cleared this up.
Also, I agree with everything netwolf said. THAT was a solid post.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stan Potash on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:03 am

I meant the first one. The second one, not as solid... but still on the mark.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ru10tu10 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:12 am

I have seen on this board a post where somebody expects Goligoski to get 2.2 million next year, he being a RFA next year.

Hopefully it will NOT come from Shero and the Pens.
ru10tu10
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:45 am

Old Time Hockey wrote:Send down Pesonen and call Minard up too. Pesonen is no where near ready to play in the NHL.

And you based your conclusion on the entire 6 minutes of ice time he was given tonight on the fourth line? And Gogo and Letang are playing poorly? Sorry but posts like this make me wanna puke.

The Sabres are a solid team and work as hard or harder than any team in the league. And go figure Ruff lights a fire under Afinogenov's butt by calling him out. As he turns in an effort that if he played like that every night he'd be making 5-6-7 million per easy.

Reality: The Pens lost a tough road game. Against a solid goalie. With a rookie in net(who made three spectacular saves by the way). They are now 8-2-1 in November.

Yeah wake up RS. Fire MT, and trade everyone.... ugh.

Look, Pesonen has played about 15 minutes of hockey in the nhl... and Letang and Goligoski are young enough to be my kids! You cant expect these BOYS to be Bobby Orr, Nik Lidstrom. And so what if Pesonen isnt turning the league upside down like Teemu Selanne did in Winnipeg. His playing allowed MT to send a message to Fedotenko by scratching him. That alone was worth it.

Back to our young dmen... I'll simply remind all of a quote that Scotty Bowman said last year:
"A lot of people maybe haven't said it," Bowman said at the time, "but I think they had a big change when they got Letang in the lineup."

But what does that bum Scotty Bowman know?!?!?! LOL
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:55 am

I see Letang as this: A bit of a offensive disappointment, but a pleasant surprise in all other aspects of his game. At 21, I expect him to get substantially better by even this time next year. I have a lot of faith in the kid.

Goligoski reminds me of Brain Rafalski in a lot of ways (and not just two Americans with Polish last names). He will not be as well rounded as Letang, and I don't think he has as much overall potential, but his offensive skills will have me comfortable with him and Whiteny manning the PP point of the future.

Whitney is soff.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:04 am

Pez didn't play badly, but he needs to bulk up a little bit. He got pushed around whenever he had the puck.

Kid needs to be able to stay with the puck even with bodies on him.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:06 am

And as for the d-men-

Letang hasn't been looking very solid the past few games, but overall he's been playing great

GoGo needs some work in the defensive zone and needs to play the body more. That one goal was just someone(Gausted?) crashing the net and practically skating through him. That shouldn't happen.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:51 am

71Aj66ax87 wrote:Image

we have a winner.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:57 am

Only a few more weeks until Whitney comes back, and then folks can go back to complaining about him. Letang and Goligoski will get a much needed reprieve as the experts turn their attention back to the man they love to hate.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:42 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:Only a few more weeks until Whitney comes back, and then folks can go back to complaining about him. Letang and Goligoski will get a much needed reprieve as the experts turn their attention back to the man they love to hate.

I can't wait. Complaining about Whitney and Staal are what gets me through the day. I can't run at 50% much longer.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:44 am

At least Whitney is no doubt used to it by now.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SnowPlow on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:46 am

Wow just wow. They are just a couple of kids. Like marek said you cant expect them to be Bobby Orr at their age.
SnowPlow
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:58 am

The fail is strong in this thread.

Gogo & Letang - Shero puts either on the trading block, and his phone is ringing off the hook.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:22 pm

I have been much more impressed with Letang then Goligoski. Goligoski is a good offensive d man but is very weak defensivly at the moment. He will develop into a good player, but he makes a ton of mistakes out there...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:18 am

KG wrote:I have been much more impressed with Letang then Goligoski. Goligoski is a good offensive d man but is very weak defensivly at the moment. He will develop into a good player, but he makes a ton of mistakes out there...
I see the same things, but he's a year behind the curve. To be doing as well as these two are this young is very good for the future though. It's not like either was a 1st rounder, but they are playing like young 1st rounders back there imo.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:28 am

Ron` wrote:
KG wrote:I have been much more impressed with Letang then Goligoski. Goligoski is a good offensive d man but is very weak defensivly at the moment. He will develop into a good player, but he makes a ton of mistakes out there...
I see the same things, but he's a year behind the curve. To be doing as well as these two are this young is very good for the future though. It's not like either was a 1st rounder, but they are playing like young 1st rounders back there imo.

Looking back on Tang's draft year, he'd be a top 10 pick if they redrafted today.

Crosby
Price
Setoguchi
M. Staal
Oshie
Vlasic
Stastny
Maybe J. Johnson

Those are the only guys who would be picked ahead of him.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:32 am

People lose perspective, he's solid and it was a very good pick.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins