cammalleri being shopped by calgary...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: cammalleri being shopped by calgary...

Postby pens_CT on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:42 am

Defence21 wrote:http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/sports/article/148823

According to this report, Edmonton is looking for a roster shake-up within a week. Could this be an opportunity for Shero to grab his power forward type in Eric Cole? He has a $4 million cap hit, so Shero would have to send some the other way, but Cole's got the grit, speed and talent to be a successful winger on one of the Penguins' top two lines. It might be worth looking into, especially considering he's a UFA at season's end.
Pass on Cole. He has 3 goals in 23 games and his better days are behind him. Also in order to make it work from a salary cap perspective you would have to unload over 3 mil in salary, so which players would go?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:48 am

pens_CT wrote:
Defence21 wrote:http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/sports/article/148823

According to this report, Edmonton is looking for a roster shake-up within a week. Could this be an opportunity for Shero to grab his power forward type in Eric Cole? He has a $4 million cap hit, so Shero would have to send some the other way, but Cole's got the grit, speed and talent to be a successful winger on one of the Penguins' top two lines. It might be worth looking into, especially considering he's a UFA at season's end.
Pass on Cole. He has 3 goals in 23 games and his better days are behind him. Also in order to make it work from a salary cap perspective you would have to unload over 3 mil in salary, so which players would go?

Eaton ($2MM) + Pesonen ($800K when up) for Cole...That works financially...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:55 am

KG wrote:Eaton ($2MM) + Pesonen ($800K when up) for Cole...That works financially...

Or Eaton and Fedotenko. Or Gill and Fedotenko. Not sure if that's value for him, but he's not exactly playing lights out right now.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:16 am

Depending on Cole's pricetag, he'd be a good pickup I think.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:45 am

You can't rely on his numbers from Edmonton -- the team sucks big-time. Cole is a gamer and could really take off on Sid's wing.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:01 pm

Kicksave wrote:Depending on Cole's pricetag, he'd be a good pickup I think.

$4 million and is a UFA at season's end.

Would you give up a package of Eaton/Gill and Dupuis/Fedotenko plus, maybe a mid round pick or a mid-level prospect for Cole? I think I would. The question is, does Edmonton want to make deals for now or for the future? If it's for now, they may say, "Hey, Gill could improve our PK and Fedotenko might jump-start here." If they're playing for the future, I'm not sure Shero has what it takes to get a guy like Cole without giving up someone like Kennedy. And I'm not sure I want to give up someone of Kennedy's age/cost/potential for an impending free agent -- unless intentions are to retain him long-term.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 pm

I agree with you D21. I wouldn't give up Kennedy, but the package you mentioned I'd go for. I'd maybe consider giving up a Brian Strait or an Alex Grant, also. Just because we have a glut of defensemen in the system and could afford that.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Kicksave wrote:I agree with you D21. I wouldn't give up Kennedy, but the package you mentioned I'd go for. I'd maybe consider giving up a Brian Strait or an Alex Grant, also. Just because we have a glut of defensemen in the system and could afford that.

Agreed...I wouldn't give up any real value. I would do the package D21 mentioned and possibly add a marginal prospect...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:18 pm

Shero won't trade a defensemen until Whitney has been back for a month or so.

The only player who it would make sense to send the other way for Cole right now is Satan. I liked the signing when it happened, but I don't see enough from #81 to think he'll be an impact player come playoff time. He loses just about every battle, does very little at even strength, and his PP contributions can be easily taken over by Sykora.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:22 pm

pcm wrote:Shero won't trade a defensemen until Whitney has been back for a month or so.

The only player who it would make sense to send the other way for Cole right now is Satan. I liked the signing when it happened, but I don't see enough from #81 to think he'll be an impact player come playoff time. He loses just about every battle, does very little at even strength, and his PP contributions can be easily taken over by Sykora.

Agreed. Satan has the quietest 18 points ever...

Not sure if the pens would move him though now. He does score goals and is a wing. Not sure if they would move him...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:25 pm

pcm wrote:Shero won't trade a defensemen until Whitney has been back for a month or so.

totally agree with everything you said. cole is also four years younger but could cole and brooks coexist after the whole broken neck incident? and cole could also fill in for satan on the PP as well.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:34 pm

I wouldn't really care to give up even mid-level prospect or picks for Cole. He was a good player and there's a chance he could recapture that a bit here, but I never really viewed him as a difference maker, even at the top of his game.

If they could get him for one of their own UFAs to be and/or lower level picks/prospect it's worth a shot. If the cost is higher, I don't think it's worth it.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 pm

What about Martin St. Louis?

I'm sure Tampa would listen to offers. He makes $4MM next year and $4MM the following...a bargain...

Tampa wants young d men...I smell fit!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:39 pm

KG wrote:What about Martin St. Louis?

I'm sure Tampa would listen to offers. He makes $4MM next year and $4MM the following...a bargain...

Tampa wants PENS...I smell fit!

fixt
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:42 pm

KG wrote:What about Martin St. Louis?

Tampa wants young d men...I smell fit!

St. Louis would be pretty good fit for sid I think. Fast. Can score goals. He's +2 on that team some how. I doubt TB would be wheeling to deal though. And his goal scoring has declined over the past two years, whether that's related to his ability or the fact he plays for tampa is debatable.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:

totally agree with everything you said. cole is also four years younger but could cole and brooks coexist after the whole broken neck incident? and cole could also fill in for satan on the PP as well.

This is what I wonder. Orpik did him pretty good.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Nizzy wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:I realize this is a messageboard and it's open for discussions, but the penguins are 14-6-3, sitting in the #4 spot in the Eastern Conference. There is absolutely no need to change the team.

There is ALWAYS room for improvement. why should the team NOT investigate a possible deal if it would improve the team? Adding Cammalleri (for example) is adding another 70 points or more to the roster and probably another 5-10 wins. So, why not?

Just by putting Cammalleri on the team does not automatically give the team 5-10 wins. You don't take into account that maybe Cammalleri's defense is terrible. Maybe him putting up the so called "70 points" won't help this team where it counts. Are we really hurting for offense?

For example: Fabian Brunnstrom. They brought him in for more Offense. He is doing okay for a rookie (in terms of goal scoring production), however he has no idea of a defensive game right now and might be hurtting the Stars more then he is helping. Actually, I'm pretty sure of that.

Sure lets trade Staal for Cammalleri so we can get 40 more points from him over Staal.... Lets watch our overall team defense drop, and our PK% drop. So really when you think by adding 70 points is going to get you 5-10 wins... you probably will have 5 more losses.

What would you rather do?

Win one stanley cup, then finish middle of the pack in the East for three years

Get to the cup finals and lose four years in a row?

Obviously choice A is preferable, but I feel like people think that if we somehow keep Staal/Malkin/Crosby/Fleury/Whitney together we are guaranteed at least one cup and probably a good shot at a few more. Thus we need to keep our picks etc and keep building to the future.

Listen, that doesn't always work. We aren't looking to build dynasties here, and if we can win a cup we need to do it. I am not saying to trade Staal for Cammy -- that would be awful IMO. However, this notion of untouchable young guys is begininning to get ridiculous. The Hossa trade was great even though he didn't sign again. Now we need to be willing to take shots when the opportunity presents itself.

That being said -- sitting fourth in the East is NOT sufficient reasoning to "leave the team alone"
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Cole doesnt have a distinct enough name to come here. cammaleri...thats more fun to say. lets get him.

oh, and jeff beukeboom.

:pop:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:

This is what I wonder. Orpik did him pretty good.

The ole broken neck... Oldest trick in the book.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:St. Louis would be pretty good fit for sid I think.

I was incredibly confused because I thought you said "trade sid to the blues"
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:20 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:

Boyes, Johnson, Brewer? :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:18 pm

Watched the flames game last night, and I have to say, Cammy would fit great on Sid's line. If Calgary is really shopping him, I think it would be a great move to go after him. Of course, if they're looking for toughness and grit I don't know who we would trade and if it would clear enough cap room.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tph7856 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:44 pm

KG wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:

Boyes, Johnson, Brewer? :D

The entire St.Louis Blues squad?
tph7856
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:45 pm

The Pens had Josh St. Louis in camp in the 90s. I knew we shouldn't have let him go. 8-)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins