Sabourin leads the NHL in G.A.A.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sabourin leads the NHL in G.A.A.

Postby steelhammer on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:01 pm

Guess the 'super genius' didn't see this coming.

And in case you didn't know

...Now you know!
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Sabourin leads the NHL in G.A.A.

Postby Corvidae on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:02 pm

You saw it coming?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:26 pm

I don't get the point of this...

But good job Sabu?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mjg on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:29 pm

Who is the super genius? And how could anyone have seen this coming? Fleury needs to hurry back or we are going to lose a pretty darn good backup goalie in the offseason.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:31 pm

mjg wrote:Who is the super genius? And how could anyone have seen this coming? Fleury needs to hurry back or we are going to lose a pretty darn good backup goalie in the offseason.

Sabu is leaving regardless.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Who is steelhammer and who is he trying to prove his point to?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:32 pm

Imagine what his GAA would be if he didn't kick in 3 or 4 goals he let in.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby mjg on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:33 pm

bhaw wrote:
mjg wrote:Who is the super genius? And how could anyone have seen this coming? Fleury needs to hurry back or we are going to lose a pretty darn good backup goalie in the offseason.

You are probably right. Now he is almost certain to leave. Had he been just the backup all year, we might have been able to keep him. But Curry probably replaces Sabu next year anyway.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:39 pm

mjg wrote:
bhaw wrote:

You are probably right. Now he is almost certain to leave. Had he been just the backup all year, we might have been able to keep him. But Curry probably replaces Sabu next year anyway.

He wants to start. All backups are looking for that shot. When you have goalies like Lundqvist, Fleury, Luongo, Nabokov, etc that are long term guys who handle a large portion of the work, you can't keep backups around very long. They know they won't have a shot. You have to count on guys who just need a team to prove themselves or younger guys starting their career. There are so many teams with goal tending issues. I'm sure Sabu can land a gig where he is at least competing in camp for #1. That won't be here.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:45 pm

mjg wrote:
bhaw wrote:

That's the nature of the cap. You have to have good scouting and development so you can have these cheap back-ups like Sabu and Curry next year.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:52 pm

i'm just posting this for all the Sabu haters. especially idiots like "the super genius" who don't know squat about ICE HOCKEY goaltending and say things like "sabourin doesn't have the pedigree to be a starting NHL goalie". people give Sabu almost no margin for error when he plays and it doesn't make any sense to me.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:55 pm

steelhammer wrote:i'm just posting this for all the Sabu haters. especially idiots like "the super genius" who don't know squat about ICE HOCKEY goaltending and say things like "sabourin doesn't have the pedigree to be a starting NHL goalie". people give Sabu almost no margin for error when he plays and it doesn't make any sense to me.

Who is "the super genius?"

Sabu still has the same problem he's always had: he has trouble putting multiple games together. I think most people have given Sabu credit for his good play.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:01 pm

bhaw wrote:
steelhammer wrote:i'm just posting this for all the Sabu haters. especially idiots like "the super genius" who don't know squat about ICE HOCKEY goaltending and say things like "sabourin doesn't have the pedigree to be a starting NHL goalie". people give Sabu almost no margin for error when he plays and it doesn't make any sense to me.

Who is "the super genius?"

Sabu still has the same problem he's always had: he has trouble putting multiple games together. I think most people have given Sabu credit for his good play.

"the super genius" is a local (emphasis added) radio show host in pittsburgh.

trouble putting multiple games together? what about the trip to western canada last season? how about him leading the NHL in G.A.A. this season? maybe it's the pens who have had trouble and Sabu was just the unfortunate person in goal that night (like Curry was in the Buffalo game)?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:03 pm

Saying and thinking that Sabu has not the pedigree to be a starting NHL goalie and hating him are two very different things.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:05 pm

Look, Sabourin is playing well but Mark Madden is right when he's saying Dany Sabourin won't be an NHL starting goaltender. He's 28 years old and has bounced around from organization to organization his whole career. He might be coming into his own and be a really late bloomer like Tim Thomas, but I doubt he'll find a spot where he is the #1 in an NHL that has a surplus of goaltending.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:07 pm

I don't think Sabu has the pedigree to be a long-term starting goaltender in the NHL. He's playing ok right now but I think that's a product of the Pens trap. Look historically at goaltenders that have been backups here and done well. Where are they starting now? Lalime, Hedberg, Conklin...

I'd much rather have Conklin back here than Sabu.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:18 pm

bhaw wrote:I don't get the point of this...

But good job Sabu?

obviously, it's more goalie controversy
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:25 pm

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:26 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I don't think Sabu has the pedigree to be a long-term starting goaltender in the NHL. He's playing ok right now but I think that's a product of the Pens trap. Look historically at goaltenders that have been backups here and done well. Where are they starting now? Lalime, Hedberg, Conklin...

Sabu: 1.84, 0.930
Conklin: 2.70, 0.907
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:29 pm

steelhammer wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:I don't think Sabu has the pedigree to be a long-term starting goaltender in the NHL. He's playing ok right now but I think that's a product of the Pens trap. Look historically at goaltenders that have been backups here and done well. Where are they starting now? Lalime, Hedberg, Conklin...

So what you are saying is that Sabu is the best goalie in the league or something?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:29 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29424

this isn't a goalie controversy thread. this is a Sabu appreciation thread. he makes some huge saves that apparently nobody notices. he makes a minor to moderate gaffe sometimes and people flip out. if people don't think he is or ever will be starting goalie material then why do they put him under a microscope more so than Fleury?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Curry and Sabourin make Fleury expendable. They need to be working out a way to get rid of that albatross of a contract immediately.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:30 pm

steelhammer wrote:

What's your point?

I'd still rather have Conklin back here than Sabu.

At one point in time, Alexander Semin had better stats than Crosby. Does that mean he's better than Sid?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelhammer on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:31 pm

Gaucho wrote:
steelhammer wrote:

So what you are saying is that Sabu is the best goalie in the league or something?

no, i just said he is FAR outperforming the backup from one of the best teams in the league.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:31 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:At one point in time, Alexander Semin had better stats than Crosby. Does that mean he's better than Sid?

Yes, he still is better.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins