Stewie Griffin Postgame - Devils at Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame - Devils at Pens

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:04 pm

Credit to Kicksave for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Devils at Pens, a 4-1 win

Something good: Defensive play. The Pens did allow 30 shots by New Jersey, but a majority of them were outside shots where the Devils were just throwing pucks at the net. Only 5 of those shots came from inside the house (draw a rectangle from the faceoff dots down to the goal line). 14 of them came from the top of the circles or higher. Excellent job by the team to give Dany Sabourin a relatively uneventful evening.

Where they need improvement: The lone goal against, because I had to list something. It was a pretty good game, so this is just nitpicking. Janne Pesonen missed a clearing chance, Rob Scuderi fumbled a puck a missed another clear, partly because Hal Gill knocked someone into him, then Gill makes an ill-advised attempt to lie down and block a shot. He missed, Rupp didn't.

Something good: Sidney Crosby. We may never know what was bothering him earlier in the year, but he's been looking better and better over the past 3-5 games. I think last night makes it official: he's back and as good as ever. Look out NHL.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame - Devils at Pens

Postby Eismann on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:55 pm

I didn't see the game, but I watched the video snips on the Pens' site. Melrose made a small career out of that, so I'm not worried about doing it for a game. Borrowing some of Barry "The Departed" Melrose's shtick:

Good: Crosby. He's Pittsburgh's best player on the ice and the best in game. Big game players step up in big games, and Crosby was just awesome.

Bad: Yawni Pesonen. Hey, this isn't Finland or Greenland. You can't blow clearing attempts in the NHL, because the skaters are too good and they'll turn turnovers into goals. You can see how Pesonen just isn't comfortable with the speed of the game here.

Good: Eric Godard. This guy would get my Roody-Poo Smackdown award every night, because he's like a moving wall out there. Look here. He's intimidated New Jersey just with his presence and you can see that Clemmensen is terrified that Godard will run him. I'd take 10 Eric Godards on my team. Or just 1 Ryan Malone.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:23 pm

woooooooo

Something Good: Bing looks like he is just starting to hit his stride, a la last season before the injury. Everyone, brace yourselves, haha.

Where They Need Improvement: The 3rd period play with the lead was decent, but still, there were way too many "close" calls, that could've gone either way: lucky bounce, etc. But they clamped down the final few minutes, which was good to see.

Something Good: Letang having no goals isn't for lack of trying. He joined the rush a few times, and his skating is just a joy to watch. It's coming.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Paekman on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:50 pm

The Good: Sid. 'Nough said.

The Bad: Letang. He's young and he's a defenseman, so his full maturation as a player is still coming. However, his decision-making and defensive play having been lacking quite a bit lately. I know he'll get better, for now, it's actually hurting the team a little bit in my opinion.

The Good: They're having fun again. You can see the game is starting to "slow down" for these guys and they're not gripping the stick so tight. They're relaxed and they're starting to find a nice groove.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:43 pm

good: sid. obviously.

bad: that was an extremely weak goal NJ scored, wasn't it?

good: kennedy continues to play like a top 6 winger. would it be weird for RS to extend his contract this soon?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:10 pm

shmenguin wrote:good: sid. obviously.

good: kennedy continues to play like a top 6 winger. would it be weird for RS to extend his contract this soon?

Kennedy signed a two year extension in September.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:44 pm

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:good: sid. obviously.

Kennedy signed a two year extension in September.

i know. i want another extension. now.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins