malkin on pace for...kind of a big deal

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: malkin on pace for...kind of a big deal

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:52 am

The amazing thing about Malkin's and Crosby's production so far is that they're doing it without getting as much as expected from the PP. The team was 21st on the PP coming into this game, a few spots higher now. Imagine the points they're going to put up when the PP gets rolling - maybe tonight was the impetus for that.

I doubt Malkin will keep up the assist pace, although his goal pace should increase. 45/90 seasons for Crosby and Malkin? I can see it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:28 am

Henry Hank wrote:The amazing thing about Malkin's and Crosby's production so far is that they're doing it without getting as much as expected from the PP. The team was 21st on the PP coming into this game, a few spots higher now. Imagine the points they're going to put up when the PP gets rolling - maybe tonight was the impetus for that.

I doubt Malkin will keep up the assist pace, although his goal pace should increase. 45/90 seasons for Crosby and Malkin? I can see it.

Consider how their paces owuld look if the PP got going. Malkin could pick up his goal pace AND keep up the assists.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensfan20 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:36 am

What no one going to mention what their pace would be if they had Hossa or Kovalchuck or Gaborik?
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:41 am

Henry Hank wrote:The amazing thing about Malkin's and Crosby's production so far is that they're doing it without getting as much as expected from the PP. The team was 21st on the PP coming into this game, a few spots higher now. Imagine the points they're going to put up when the PP gets rolling - maybe tonight was the impetus for that.

You know what won't help the Pens PP get going? The way the refs are currently calling the game.

Seriously, tonight and last night against the Rangers, they've pretty much put the whistles away after one period. Unless it's really, really, obvious clutching and grabbing, they're not gonna call it. They seem to have taken a step back from last year in this regard. More and more is slowly becoming allowed again.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:47 am

pensfan20 wrote:What no one going to mention what their pace would be if they had Hossa or Kovalchuck or Gaborik?

sid would already have 120 assists if he played on a line with hossa and kovalchuk
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:06 am

Henry, the bigger problem is that Malkin could eclipse Crosby in Assists. Geno is looking to dish more than he's shooting. He's great dishing, but we all know he's a better pure goal scorer than Crosby. Somehow these two have to find a balance as they are both great. Our kingdom for another goal scoring wing....
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby isotopes014 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:39 am

he's now on pace for wayne gretzky assists (99)....

how about i cussed somebody out at the bar tonight for suggesting satan change his sumber to 66
isotopes014
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:28 am

It would be pretty awesome to see Geno in a leisure suit saying "Me big deal."
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Zach6668 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:30 am

meecrofilm wrote:

You know what won't help the Pens PP get going? The way the refs are currently calling the game.

Seriously, tonight and last night against the Rangers, they've pretty much put the whistles away after one period. Unless it's really, really, obvious clutching and grabbing, they're not gonna call it. They seem to have taken a step back from last year in this regard. More and more is slowly becoming allowed again.

Did you see the call against Vancouver with 2 mins left in their game in Detroit?
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Waffles on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:32 am

littlemoonboot wrote:It would be pretty awesome to see Geno in a leisure suit saying "Me big deal."

I actually laughed out loud at this. Nice.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:43 am

Now that Sykora appears to be back to last season form, I expect Geno's assists to start piling up at an even faster rate.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:53 am

GREAT points by everyone in this thread. I was also thinking about this as well. Just wait until we get Crosby/Malkin/Whitney/Gonchar back on the PP. Maybe even put Jordan infront of the net :). Anyways I wanna see Gonchar + Malkin do that pass back and forth thing they got good at, never knowing which one was going to blast it and bury it.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:24 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Now that Sykora appears to be back to last season form, I expect Geno's assists to start piling up at an even faster rate.

Now that MT is starting to wake up to the fact that Sykora as a pure sniper is a better PP player than Satan, whom I'd consider more of a tipper/rebound picker (a role played on a PP by the big guy in front of the net), I think production will up a little. I know it's not that simple and not the cure all, but having someone who can pick a spot in the net from the side opposite Crosby won't hurt. If they can get into the rhythm they were in last year, replacing Malone with Staal, or by using Satan as the tipping guy (Sykora remains the sniper) instead of Staal (if he doesn't work out), then the PP productivity will increase dramatically and these two will be leading the scoring race even more than they are now.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:07 pm

All good points.
Gonchar and Malkin on the points = sick. I can't wait.
It always irked me why Sykora was not getting top PP time. He led the team in PP goals last season and was only on the top unit half the season. It's his speciality. Let him do his thing.
Staal should be learning his craft in front of the net. Now that's he's back on his game he should move back there.
Staal-Crosby-Sykora, Malkin-Gonchar = nasty

Oh and on topic, Tank and Sykora seem to coming on. So good news for Geno's ES production.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 71crush on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:26 pm

Did you see the call against Vancouver with 2 mins left in their game in Detroit

No, what happened? Is that why Detroit won the game?
71crush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:50 pm

Zach6668 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:

Did you see the call against Vancouver with 2 mins left in their game in Detroit?

I'm guessing it was a ticky-tacky one? Couldn't tell ya, I'm just basing this off of the Pens games. If anything, the call you're referring to only solidifies the argument that the refs need to do a better job establishing consistency.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:06 pm

Yeah, think about what's going to happen to the PP when Gonchar and Whitney are back.

Scary.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tph7856 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 pm

71crush wrote:Did you see the call against Vancouver with 2 mins left in their game in Detroit

No, what happened? Is that why Detroit won the game?

Yeah, what happened now?
tph7856
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tjand72 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:14 pm

Evgeni Malkin

Kind of a big deal.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shane613 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:28 pm

mac5155 wrote:
pensfan20 wrote:What no one going to mention what their pace would be if they had Hossa or Kovalchuck or Gaborik?

sid would already have 120 assists if he played on a line with hossa and kovalchuk

if sid centered a line with hossa and kovalchuk, he would break gretzky's records twice in one season
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins