Pesonen and Minard

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pesonen and Minard

Postby ru10tu10 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:31 am

How do you think they did?

I was not impressed, Minard handled the puck badly in my estimation, Pesonen was a non-factor much like he has been in the previous games that he has played.
ru10tu10
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Pesonen and Minard

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:35 am

I'll post the same thing I did in the gameday thread... I thought Minard looked decent out there. Finished his checks, had some pace, and maybe most importantly, he found himself a couple of soft spots and was able to get some shots off. When Zigo gets back probably next game, it looks like the M Train should stick and Peso will be sent back down.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Elivenspire on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:05 am

I agree that Minard played a good 'first' game. He did a pretty good job fitting in, did find some seams, and made a couple nice plays. There weren't any large mistakes but played a pretty good 3rd line game, just like we know he and Taffe can do. Peso was disappointing, mainly because he had no chance. Talbot played his first game at center in a long time and Goddard obviously got shook up when he fell down against the boards early on, this was one of his worst games so far.
Pesonen didn't do anything flashy, but how can you playing under 6 minutes and being on Goddard's line? He hasn't played 'poorly' from what I've seen. He's drawn a couple penalties, stolen some pucks and hustled, while only seeing limited time. I was fan for letting him try up top, but Dupuis has been working his tail off since being sent to the basement and is playing very well with sid. Tank is also looking good with Malkin and Syko. Would have liked to see him try it out with Cookie and Staal, but it didn't happen.
Unless there is an injury to either Tank, Syko or Satan, I don't see Peso getting a real shot in the near future. But that's okay. He can spend the time figuring out the NHL game in the minors, come up when he's needed, and then earn that spot next year if Shero sees fit. Minard is a good replacement for Kennedy, though I think Connor James could fit in there real well too.
Oh well. That's plenty long for this thread.
Elivenspire
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:35 am

Taffe and Thomas would have been a better set of callups for the 4th line.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:58 am

DelPen wrote:Taffe and Thomas would have been a better set of callups for the 4th line.

i tend to agree with this position. minard and pesonen dont play the grinder role to anywhere near the same level as Taffe/Thomas.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby isotopes014 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:05 am

so heaven forbid satan or sykora get hurt... then do u guys suggest mindard and pessonen...
for ziggy and tk.... i think you're right. bring up the grinders.
if a scorer is out. bring up a minor league finess guy and see how he handles top line status?
isotopes014
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:41 am

I thought they did what was asked of them.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WHITEY1 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:08 am

Do you think Pesonen might have been picked up to use as trade bait come the trade deadline? He would definately fit the "prospect" side of a trade that everyone seems to always want in a deal. Most trades usually include a Player, Pick, and Prospect.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Billkamm on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:11 am

I think Pesonen will still come into his own. Give him time.
Billkamm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:33 am

WHITEY1 wrote:Do you think Pesonen might have been picked up to use as trade bait come the trade deadline? He would definately fit the "prospect" side of a trade that everyone seems to always want in a deal. Most trades usually include a Player, Pick, and Prospect.

I think he was insurance. The guy has a proven history of knowing how to score and be a dominant player in Finland. If something were to happen to Satan or Sykora after the trade deadline and we can't make a move to replace their scoring then we plug Pesonen in there who by that time will be adapted to the NA game. I'd rather have him to call up to replace some offense then like last year where it was taffe, hall and Smith for the most part.

He was always a zero-risk signing and I think the situations he has been put in as a grinder have not been ideal for him or the team.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:36 am

isotopes014 wrote:so heaven forbid satan or sykora get hurt... then do u guys suggest mindard and pessonen...
for ziggy and tk.... i think you're right. bring up the grinders.
if a scorer is out. bring up a minor league finess guy and see how he handles top line status?

heaven and satan seperated by forbid.

heaven forbid satan. sure does! :) just crazy looking at that.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Defence21 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:50 am

pfim wrote:I thought they did what was asked of them.

As did I. In fact, I thought Minard looked quite good. He was creating chances and had a beauty of a set-up in close for Cooke, who had his stick lifted at the last second. He also led the team with five hits, though he was a minus-one. In all honesty -- and I plan to write on this topic later on Faceoff Factor -- I think Minard might be worthy of a shot playing alongside Sid. He has the wheels. He has some size. He obviously can hit/grind (when needed). And his minor league scoring production indicates he knows how to find the back of the net. Will he transition his scoring to the NHL? Maybe. Maybe not. But I have seen stranger things happen.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:53 am

DelPen wrote:
He was always a zero-risk signing and I think the situations he has been put in as a grinder have not been ideal for him or the team.

You are correct, but let's keep in mind Pesonen is still getting his feet wet. He needs to at least get somewhat acclimated to the NHL game. Even if he is a square peg in a round hole, it's nice to give him some playing time.

Lots of fans are excited about pesonen and his potential. Let's give him some time to develop. He has played only three or so games.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby isotopes014 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:04 am

to kenny (don't feel like quoting)

i think your exactly on my point. let pesso get some time in situations that he can score, he needs to opend his flood gates. maybe a shot on the second power play while we are up. something like that.

speaking of europian hockey players. i met a girl tonight that is martin strakas 4th cousin. she was saying how all of them have the "straka nose" and eyes. she also had the cleft chin. i thought it was kinda funny i was tryin to hook her up with my friend because he once owned a kovalev jersey. i was like thats your cousins nephew's sister's brother's former line mate jersey wearer (any spaceballs fans?)

what did that make them....?
isotopes014
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:17 am

Minard was ok. I'll cut him some slack on the fan that led to the CAR breakaway because that ice was even worse than Mellon. He seemed pretty aggressive on the boards and got himself into a few lanes between the circles.

Peso was Talbot with the hooking calls. Meh. Try again next time.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby maudineormsby on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:51 am

I thought Minard filled in for Kennedy well. He wasn't as comfortable as Kennedy, but he didn't stand out like a sore thumb. Pesonen, however, didn't seem to know what to do or where to be. I don't think he's used to the battles in the corners.

That said, he kinda looks like Cooke on the ice. Not saying he plays like him, just that he actually LOOKS like him.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:26 am

I thought Minard looked good. I haven't noticed Pesonen much, even at camp. But Minard showed some good grittiness.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:18 pm

It seemed pretty notable to me that Minard didn't stick out too much. I say that as a good thing because the 3rd line is usually one of the teams more prolific lines and the fact that it still looked pretty good with Minard on it was a good sign. Despite the fact that he had a few bad turnovers, I thought he looked decent.

Pesonen, as usual, got snubbed on the ice time. Checking line? A guy his size? Come on. I know he doesn't quite fit in with the top-6 yet but MT is notoriously impatient while waiting for guys to get a feel for each other and Peso is nothing if not a scoring or energy line player. You can't put him on a checking line and expect said line to be effective, he's just too small and he's not an aggressive forechecker.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 pm

I thought Minard played well. Was impressed by his willingness to finish every opportunity he got at a hit. That's something that the Pens have been missing from their forwards lately.

The only reason I notice Pesonen is because I look for him on the ice to see if he's doing anything worthwhile. For having less than 6 minutes of ice time and Godard and Talbot as linemates I got pretty much what I expected: nothing worthwhile.

It would be nice if the Pens could schedule a meaningless midseason scrimmage just to give Minard and Pesonen a full game on the top lines to see if they are capable of playing alongside Sid and Geno. Chris Thorburn got more of a shot at being Sid's winger back in the day than either of these guys have gotten. While it is true that the team and the coaching staff owe them nothing and they have to earn the right to get a shot at playing with Sid and Geno, other than a few games here and there (including last night) I'm not sure any of the wingers that have been playing on the top 2 lines have earned the right to stay on those lines.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby careyz8 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Its hard to show what Pesonen can do when he's played four games and has ice time totals of 9:52, 6:02, 7:16, and 5:54.
careyz8
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:01 pm

Looks like Kennedy might be out a while, so I think Minard has a chance to stick. I agree with Defence21 that he has a chance of being a nice fit alongside Sid or Malkin. But he'll have to earn it. Pesonen will have to earn more time too. I don't care if he's only 6 minutes on the 4th line. He should be good in those 6 minutes... Therrien runs a reward system here. If players take advantage of the small opportunities they are given, they will be given bigger opportunities to succeed. Nothing is handed to them though.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slipshod on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:03 pm

Pesonen will not make it until he embraces the physical side of the NHL game. He seemed to avoid contact at times. I don't want to hear the 'with his size' arguments either. Kennedy would look fine on the checking line and he is small. It's a mentality, not a size issue.

Minard played well IMO. He checked hard and hustled.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LeopardLetang on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:16 pm

slipshod wrote:Pesonen will not make it until he embraces the physical side of the NHL game.

like sykora and satan do? he may be more in their mold and is why he needs to be judged if he gets scoring line duty but not as a grinder. imagine sykora on the 4th line. you'd get nothing worthwhile.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maagwa on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:23 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:
slipshod wrote:Pesonen will not make it until he embraces the physical side of the NHL game.

like sykora and satan do? he may be more in their mold and is why he needs to be judged if he gets scoring line duty but not as a grinder. imagine sykora on the 4th line. you'd get nothing worthwhile.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Maagwa

Postby lifetimefan on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:22 pm

Peso needs to play on the second line. RS did not sign him, nor does he have the size, to be a grinder. Give him a shot while TK is out and see what he can do. This means more than two shifts with Geno and more than six minutes a game.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins