Tyler Kennedy out four to six weeks

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Tyler Kennedy out four to six weeks

Postby manicmonday18 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:38 pm

steelcity8687 wrote:TK = top 3 players on our team. Most consistent. Most patience with the puck on his stick.

I agree that TK is very valuable and an important part of our team.
Consistent - yes.
Patient? No. I would say that is his biggest downfall, even if it's not a huge flaw. He sometimes gets rid of the puck too quickly in the neutral zone and fails to get the puck deep enough into the zone. Prior to changes, etc is when this is most visible, obviously, but patience is something that will develop with time.
manicmonday18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby steelcity8687 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:59 am

manicmonday18 wrote:
steelcity8687 wrote:TK = top 3 players on our team. Most consistent. Most patience with the puck on his stick.

Consistent - yes.
Patient? No. I would say that is his biggest downfall, even if it's not a huge flaw. He sometimes gets rid of the puck too quickly in the neutral zone and fails to get the puck deep enough into the zone. Prior to changes, etc is when this is most visible, obviously, but patience is something that will develop with time.

You may be right about his lack of patience in the neutral zone or some of his weaker clearing efforts. But he is second to none on our team when it comes to distributing offensive passes on the forechecking cycle. Have you noticed the third line has still been cycling well since he went down, but they are not able to produce the quality scoring chances that they were creating with TK.

The only good thing is that we get to see more options coming up from WBS..........if you wanna be an optimist.
steelcity8687
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skerbud on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:46 am

When Kennedy first came to this team I really didnt think he would make a big difference....
After watching last nights game and the games since he has been out...I have changed my mine....
there seems to be a lack of intensity ...the power play (since he moved up to Sids line) has stuggled without him... No one goes to the net.... The third line is not producing and looks alittle lost...
I hope Kennedy comes back sooner than later.
He is very much decldedly a big clog in the Penguin Wheel.....
skerbud
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:57 am

steelcity8687 wrote:
manicmonday18 wrote:

Consistent - yes.

You may be right about his lack of patience in the neutral zone or some of his weaker clearing efforts. But he is second to none on our team when it comes to distributing offensive passes on the forechecking cycle. Have you noticed the third line has still been cycling well since he went down, but they are not able to produce the quality scoring chances that they were creating with TK.

The only good thing is that we get to see more options coming up from WBS..........if you wanna be an optimist.

no. you're right. he's very patient. the other guy is nitpicking. when he's in the zone, he has more composure with the puck than anyone on our team NOT in the top 2 in league scoring.

i miss TK
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:13 am

I think Mike Zigomanis is probably the 3rd or 4th most important forward on this team. And it is becoming painfully evident after watching the last 2 games without him. We need him back desperately.

As for Kennedy, we just need to learn to play without him for the next 4-6 weeks. And hopefully when he is back, we will be in a midst of a nice little streak.

But I think we need Ziggy back more than TK. Just my opinion.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:54 am

Why So Serious? wrote:I think Mike Zigomanis is probably the 3rd or 4th most important forward on this team. And it is becoming painfully evident after watching the last 2 games without him. We need him back desperately.

As for Kennedy, we just need to learn to play without him for the next 4-6 weeks. And hopefully when he is back, we will be in a midst of a nice little streak.

i'm sorry, but this just too out there. ziggy's a 4th liner and faceoffs haven't been a real problem in his absence. he's about as valuable as any 4th liner. which is "not very", incidentally.

last night eric goddard was on our 3rd line. eric goddard. and you're saying that losing ZIGGY matters? more than TK? give me a break.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:14 am

shmenguin wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:I think Mike Zigomanis is probably the 3rd or 4th most important forward on this team. And it is becoming painfully evident after watching the last 2 games without him. We need him back desperately.

i'm sorry, but this just too out there. ziggy's a 4th liner and faceoffs haven't been a real problem in his absence. he's about as valuable as any 4th liner. which is "not very", incidentally.

last night eric goddard was on our 3rd line. eric goddard. and you're saying that losing ZIGGY matters? more than TK? give me a break.

Have you looked at the faceoff numbers? Ziggy got injured early in the game against the NYR, so I am including that game.

Last night: Pens - 31 Buf - 29
Dec. 6: Pens - 25 Ott - 33
Dec. 4: Pens - 26 Car - 38
Dec. 3: Pens - 19 NYR: 33

And the faceoffs lost and won stat doesn't tell the whole story in my opinion. It seems like whenever we need that big faceoff win, we end up losing it. There have been numerous occasions where if we had Zigomanis in there, the whole complexion of the game could be turned around. Perhaps you don't know the importance of faceoffs in a hockey game. It may be the single most underrated part of any game in all of sports. And we have the best faceoff man in the league. And when he's not in the lineup taking KEY FACEOFFS, there could be a huge difference between getting 2 points and getting 0 points.

I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that Kennedy is not a big loss for this team. He is an integral part of this team. And along with that, I think Mike Zigomanis is every bit as integral to this team's success. Acquiring him was probably one of the most underrated acquisitions any team has made since July 1, 2008.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:54 am

Why So Serious? wrote:Have you looked at the faceoff numbers? Ziggy got injured early in the game against the NYR, so I am including that game.

Last night: Pens - 31 Buf - 29
Dec. 6: Pens - 25 Ott - 33
Dec. 4: Pens - 26 Car - 38
Dec. 3: Pens - 19 NYR: 33

And the faceoffs lost and won stat doesn't tell the whole story in my opinion. It seems like whenever we need that big faceoff win, we end up losing it. There have been numerous occasions where if we had Zigomanis in there, the whole complexion of the game could be turned around. Perhaps you don't know the importance of faceoffs in a hockey game. It may be the single most underrated part of any game in all of sports. And we have the best faceoff man in the league. And when he's not in the lineup taking KEY FACEOFFS, there could be a huge difference between getting 2 points and getting 0 points.

I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that Kennedy is not a big loss for this team. He is an integral part of this team. And along with that, I think Mike Zigomanis is every bit as integral to this team's success. Acquiring him was probably one of the most underrated acquisitions any team has made since July 1, 2008.

I agree with this. Zigomanis' absense has been huge & noticeable, especially in defensive zone face offs. I think the Pens amount of puck possession has definitely been affected.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:55 am

we haven't been losing games because of faceoffs. yes, i like ziggy and he is much better than an adam hall-type fringe player, but he's still a 4th liner. the residual effects of his absence aren't that great.

losing kennedy made us a 2 line team (at best). he was contributing on the #1 power play. without him, staal's line can't sustain any forecheck. the forced the lineup to be shuffled top to bottom.

ziggy's solid, but he just isn't as important as kennedy. not even close. sorry.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wallflower on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:57 am

shmenguin wrote:we haven't been losing games because of faceoffs. yes, i like ziggy and he is much better than an adam hall-type fringe player, but he's still a 4th liner. the residual effects of his absence aren't that great.

losing kennedy made us a 2 line team (at best). he was contributing on the #1 power play. without him, staal's line can't sustain any forecheck. the forced the lineup to be shuffled top to bottom.

ziggy's solid, but he just isn't as important as kennedy. not even close. sorry.

They aren't losing games because of face offs but it's definitely not making things any easier.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:00 pm

shmenguin wrote:we haven't been losing games because of faceoffs. yes, i like ziggy and he is much better than an adam hall-type fringe player, but he's still a 4th liner. the residual effects of his absence aren't that great.

That's fine if you feel that way. I respect that because I love TK and realize he's a huge part of this team. I'm just chiming in with my 2 cents. I just believe Ziggy is more important to this team than people believe. Even on a comeback trail, I've notice him as a guy who sort of sparked things for the offense in the 2nd half of games, along with Geno and Sid.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:01 pm

The Pens were the worst faceoff team in the league last year and nearly won the Cup. Their performance against Detroit actually was their best faceoff performance in the playoffs if I'm not mistaken. Zigomanis fills an important niche, but he's pretty far down the list of important forwards on this team. Faceoffs aren't as big a deal as people make them out to be.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:03 pm

wallflower wrote:They aren't losing games because of face offs but it's definitely not making things any easier.

agreed, but i'd rank our reasons for losing like this:

1) defensive breakdowns
2) no secondary scoring
3) bad power play
4) loss of focus
5) soft goals

ziggy isn't really in the picture. tk is directly involved in #'s 2 and 3.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins