Any Updates on Gonchar?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Any Updates on Gonchar?

Postby CathUZ on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:46 pm

Haven't heard anything about his rehab and progress pretty much since the injury. The surgery was in early October and the recovery period was said to be 4-6 months. Meaning he could be back as early as early Feb. Has there been any semi-recent pens media that talked about Gonchar's progress?
CathUZ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Any Updates on Gonchar?

Postby KG on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:52 pm

Probably March....joy
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Gone fishing.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens#1 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:07 pm

ive heard that hes progesssing well - but nobody is giving any real time frame - anything north of a month of regular season action would be great
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:12 pm

I sure hope once he is back he is the same Gonchar. Never know though, the older you are the harder it is to come back from these types of injuries. Players say after a long lay off its hard to "want" to get your self back inshape than anything.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:18 pm

I have a feeling he'll be back earlier then expected. I'm not a doctor, just a gut feeling.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CathUZ on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:30 pm

since it is a left shoulder injury can he keep his lower body conditioning up or engage in non-contact skating?

I know shoulder injuries can seriously screw some players up, but I wonder if it will be less severe since it is his left shoulder and he is right handed. Meaning there will be less damage to his shot.
CathUZ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:06 pm

CathUZ wrote:since it is a left shoulder injury can he keep his lower body conditioning up or engage in non-contact skating?

I know shoulder injuries can seriously screw some players up, but I wonder if it will be less severe since it is his left shoulder and he is right handed. Meaning there will be less damage to his shot.

???
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:33 pm

His injury scares me. It's one of those things that can take a long time to heal. Being an athlete will surely help his recovery process. What I am worried about is that his shoulder is going to take a long time to be "100%" to heal. The fact that his stickhandling, passing, and shot rely upon him healing and also being physical in the defensive end whether he is dishing it out or receiving may pose an issue.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Corvidae on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:47 pm

I think the best thing to do is forget about him this year. Even if he comes back in February or March, how effective will he really be come April?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:04 pm

Corvidae wrote:I think the best thing to do is forget about him this year. Even if he comes back in February or March, how effective will he really be come April?

That's what I think as well. If Sarge comes back, I wonder 1) how effective will he be and 2) if he re-injures it before fully healed, he'll be out next year as well.

If our D is playing well (which I believe it is), we could put him on LTIR and have some cap space open up around the trade deadline.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:00 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Corvidae wrote:I think the best thing to do is forget about him this year. Even if he comes back in February or March, how effective will he really be come April?

That's what I think as well. If Sarge comes back, I wonder 1) how effective will he be and 2) if he re-injures it before fully healed, he'll be out next year as well.

If our D is playing well (which I believe it is), we could put him on LTIR and have some cap space open up around the trade deadline.

If we get a fresh and improved Whitney next month, I may go as far as to suggest that Sarge not even make the attempt this year unless there are more major injuries to the blueline. LTIR might be a better choice for both team and player.

This is all conditional, though, on Gonchar's... uh, condition. I think if he really isn't going to be ready until March, keep him out. If he's healing ahead of predication, then it would be hard to find a reason to not to play the NHL's best offensive defenseman.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:08 am

I like our playoff chances a hell of a lot better with Gonchar in the lineup, then without him. (Even if he's slightly less then 100%) Sure I don't want him to rush back so he'll either be less effective or reinjure himself, but not having him in the playoffs would be a huge blow.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:30 am

Daniel87 wrote:I like our playoff chances a hell of a lot better with Gonchar in the lineup, then without him. (Even if he's slightly less then 100%) Sure I don't want him to rush back so he'll either be less effective or reinjure himself, but not having him in the playoffs would be a huge blow.

We're better with him than without him. I just don't want to see him come back unless he's 100% otherwise he can become a liability for the team on the ice and limiting them to get another player.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:37 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
CathUZ wrote:since it is a left shoulder injury can he keep his lower body conditioning up or engage in non-contact skating?

???

yyeaahh.......
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:54 am

I like our Power Play better with him than without him.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:08 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:I like our playoff chances a hell of a lot better with Gonchar in the lineup, then without him. (Even if he's slightly less then 100%) Sure I don't want him to rush back so he'll either be less effective or reinjure himself, but not having him in the playoffs would be a huge blow.

We're better with him than without him. I just don't want to see him come back unless he's 100% otherwise he can become a liability for the team on the ice and limiting them to get another player.

I agree there..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LeopardLetang on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:05 pm

Corvidae wrote:If we get a fresh and improved Whitney next month, I may go as far as to suggest that Sarge not even make the attempt this year unless there are more major injuries to the blueline. LTIR might be a better choice for both team and player.

maybe sarge wants to win the stanley cup this year

:)
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eastonpensfan on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

???

yyeaahh.......

Considering the left arm is the accuracy arm on a right handed shot, I don't think it's like an NFL QB who can play with a non-throwing injury. Both arms are required.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ShipHockey7 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:47 pm

um I'm pretty sure he's left handed
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:20 pm

pcm wrote:Gone fishing.

He's right.Image
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:36 am

LeopardLetang wrote:
Corvidae wrote:If we get a fresh and improved Whitney next month, I may go as far as to suggest that Sarge not even make the attempt this year unless there are more major injuries to the blueline. LTIR might be a better choice for both team and player.

maybe sarge wants to win the stanley cup this year

:)

They could still get his name on the cup yes? Or do you actually have to have played a game? I know that if you don't play the requisite number of season games or the finals game, that you can still find your way onto the cup, not sure if you have to have played or not. If its allowed to get his name on the cup, no doubt the pens get him on there. Crosby would rampage if they didn't.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins