Pens at Sens Grades

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens at Sens Grades

Postby Mad City Mike on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:48 am

Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pens at Sens Grades

Postby LeopardLetang on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:06 am

awesome.

what an exciting game really. i've never enjoyed a loss so much. is that wrong?
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:09 am

I did not like the line shuffling early on. MT was all over the place with the lines until the 3rd when we actually played well.

I would also say Frasier is a joke. The game was horribly called for both sides. There were a few times I thought we got away with a few penalties but the idiot just kept letting them play.

I don't recall if MT ever changed the defense to get Scuds and Gill on the ice against Spezza or if the Sens abused that match up. If it's the latter not much MT could do, if MT wanted that match up I don't agree one bit.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:46 am

Meh. The last grades were better. :P
:lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:23 pm

Yeah, I normally think that NHL refs do a great job.

Yesterday, I don't know what was going on though. Fraser should be losing his eyesight soon, right?
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Dany "The Fisherman" Sabourin. He just refuses to get back to the crease with anything resembling speed. Liked the rest of his game, but the fishing trips are costly.

SteigErrey: Steigy: "Got to get pucks in deep." Wrong. This isn't 1982. They need to keep possesion of the puck and cut out the auto-turnover.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:53 pm

If Evgeni and Sidney cannot force the sens to take more penalties, tells me they didn't have their afternoon game legs. Somebody needed to give Volchenkov another bloody lip or something, he played a good game against Sid as he almost always does.
Defense didn't play a smart game~ a quality line can do that though.
Brooks and Kris Letang; gone missing during the sens 2nd goal.

Kerry Fraser, 56 and still out there skating with players...congrats to him.

If & buts~ somebodys shoots the puck on their chance with Sid, Gino, and Sykora, could be a different game.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:18 pm

look, i realize i'm the president of the dany sabourin fan club, but your grade for him is way out of line. he made some great saves and was the only reason we were in the game into the second period.

you can distribute a lot of the blame to gill on the first goal. he got caught out of the play which lead to a 2 on 1. sabourin cut off the angle, but spezza made a nice move faking the shot and going around scuderi. look who comes into the play just after the goal is scored.

if you want to blame him on the first goal, fine, but no way you can blame him on the last goal. he played the pass (that is what it was supposed to be) just like any nhl goalie would. if he would have taken your advice and still hugged the post during the pass, the shooter would have had a wide open right side of the goal. the goal was just a lucky goal that no other goalie would have played differently. once the guy starts to pass, the goalie HAS to make his move on the would be shooter.
Last edited by steelhammer on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:25 pm

I probably would have gone a little easier on the grading for goaltending with a C or C+, but I can't argue with any of the comments. One out of position goal which followed a pretty good save, a tough chance, and then a stopable bad bounce. I think that performance gets us at least a point more often than not.

I'm not trying to argue, as I really enjoy reading the grades. Just wanted to offer my $.02.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:01 pm

purelebo84 wrote:Yeah, I normally think that NHL refs do a great job.

Yesterday, I don't know what was going on though. Fraser should be losing his eyesight soon, right?

You mean he hasn't lost it already?
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:04 pm

I'd hav to agree with most of the grades. Pretty good ones. 3 games in less than 4 days did look to be taking a little toll on the legs, as they looked fairly flat for a lot of the game. But they still almost managed to get something out of it (Letang's chance...... gah).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:39 pm

purelebo84 wrote:Yeah, I normally think that NHL refs do a great job.

It seems like Fraser has been against the Pens ever since that Bolts Pens game where Lemieux had to be restrained by Ron Francis and Ulf from beating him up.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CKA24 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Nice Grades MCM. I think maybe give a half a grade increase to goaltending, but I definitely agree with the comments.

That said, I think the team played above average for how often they've played in the 4 days.

I really want to see Scudill broken up. Looks like Gill may be injured, so blessing in disguise?
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins