Short-term deal for Staal in the works?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Short-term deal for Staal in the works?

Postby pcm on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Peter the Brown mentions contract talks for Staal are in the prelimanary stages (which we kind of knew). Then says: "But word is both sides are kicking around the idea of a short-term deal that could fit under the cap. Talks should pick up again in the New Year."

This was the thought at the beginning of the season, and I suppose it's still on. I'm fine with a year or two at 3.5 before giving Jordan the opportunity to do his own thing on another team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3751861&name=lebrun_pierre
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Short-term deal for Staal in the works?

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:53 pm

Short term makes sense... Jordan has been up and down. It's hard to offer him a lot of money from the Pens side, not knowing which Jordan will be around in coming years, and it's hard for his agent to build a case for a big money, long-term deal.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:54 pm

It would also allow for time for Gonchar's salary to come off the books after next year, freeing up some cap space.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:55 pm

I'd be cool with that.

Also, sometimes I wish I were French so that I could have a cool name like that. Or even medieval English.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WHITEY1 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:56 pm

Looks like Whiteny and Stall would equal a kovulchuk contract?
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:59 pm

WHITEY1 wrote:Looks like Whiteny and Stall would equal a kovulchuk contract?

Too much for Kovalchuk... show of hands?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens15 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:03 pm

Ideally, I'd rather sign him long term for a decent price only to watch him outperform the contract, thus giving us a bargain under the cap. Sometimes it makes sense to take a chance and give a guy a long-term deal based on what you think they are capable of, rather then waiting for them to prove themselves and then you can't afford them.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:16 pm

I'd say 3 or 4 years.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Pens15 wrote:Ideally, I'd rather sign him long term for a decent price only to watch him outperform the contract, thus giving us a bargain under the cap. Sometimes it makes sense to take a chance and give a guy a long-term deal based on what you think they are capable of, rather then waiting for them to prove themselves and then you can't afford them.

The problem with that, and RS I think is beginning to realize this, there's no good way to keep Staal for even 5 million and still have enough space to fill out the roster, especially once Letang and Gogo kick in with their extensions. If they sign a short term at what he's worth now, he'll fit under the cap and it gives RS time to prioritize, see how he develops, and make a determination from there. It would be good to sign him at a long term deal but given what he's said he wants and what they'll have to pay to keep him here (5 million is realistically what it would take) then it decimates the cap space. See the thread to that effect.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Samsdog wrote:
Pens15 wrote:Ideally, I'd rather sign him long term for a decent price only to watch him outperform the contract, thus giving us a bargain under the cap. Sometimes it makes sense to take a chance and give a guy a long-term deal based on what you think they are capable of, rather then waiting for them to prove themselves and then you can't afford them.

The problem with that, and RS I think is beginning to realize this, there's no good way to keep Staal for even 5 million and still have enough space to fill out the roster, especially once Letang and Gogo kick in with their extensions. If they sign a short term at what he's worth now, he'll fit under the cap and it gives RS time to prioritize, see how he develops, and make a determination from there. It would be good to sign him at a long term deal but given what he's said he wants and what they'll have to pay to keep him here (5 million is realistically what it would take) then it decimates the cap space. See the thread to that effect.

I don't know where you get your information, so you could be right, but I have a very hard time believing that it would take 5 million to keep Staal long term. It seems way too high.

I would love to get him for a similar deal to what we gave Whitney.

I guess it would be alright though considering he would still be a restricted free agent, correct? So then even if we can't keep him, we at least get something for him.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:00 pm

Pens15 wrote:
Samsdog wrote:

I don't know where you get your information, so you could be right, but I have a very hard time believing that it would take 5 million to keep Staal long term. It seems way too high.

I would love to get him for a similar deal to what we gave Whitney.

I guess it would be alright though considering he would still be a restricted free agent, correct? So then even if we can't keep him, we at least get something for him.

I read it in the paper over the summer, but that was in the newspaper, which is admittedly wrong a lot. If he could be had at a reasonable price long term then I'd prefer that to the short for the same reasons you cited, but it depends entirely on the figure that he'll want.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Oo common guys,were did anybody come up with the 5 mills contract for Staal,its way too much for now.. If he asks for that,let his wannabeoverpayed ass go.. He should take 3-3.5 mills per year for now for 2-3 years.. He really isnt that kind of dominating player yet in NHL to ask for that kind of money. If he goes,Max will take his 3rd line C duty and Ziggy stays on 4th.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Oo common guys,were did anybody come up with the 5 mills contract for Staal,its way too much for now.. If he asks for that,let his wannabeoverpayed ass go.. He should take 3-3.5 mills per year for now for 2-3 years.. He really isnt that kind of dominating player yet in NHL to ask for that kind of money. If he goes,Max will take his 3rd line C duty and Ziggy stays on 4th.

Now that I think of the quote, his agent said it, so who knows whats actually going on in his head? Come on hometown discount.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm pretty sure RS will not overpay for Staal.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:29 pm

I'm not even going to lie. I have a mancrush on Staal. I would totally pull a garth snow and drop a 15-year deal on the table for Jordan. Something that starts at like 3 per year now, then each year it would increase like .275 mill, so at the end of the Contract he would be making just around 7. :o
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:31 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:I'm pretty sure RS will not overpay for Staal.

Not at all, he's a smart guy. He knows when to draw the line and declare a cap casualty though. I somehow think that Staal will get a deal ironed out but speculating on the numbers is pretty difficult, its hard to say what each side thinks he's worth, whether or not we can expect market prices A) to change from what they have been and B) will in any way effect Staal's negotiations. It's messy.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:37 pm

Nizzy wrote:I'm not even going to lie. I have a mancrush on Staal. I would totally pull a garth snow and drop a 15-year deal on the table for Jordan. Something that starts at like 3 per year now, then each year it would increase like .275 mill, so at the end of the Contract he would be making just around 7. :o

You know that he would count as the average of the deal, right?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:03 pm

Guinness wrote:I'd be cool with that.

Also, sometimes I wish I were French so that I could have a cool name like that. Or even medieval English.

But, you are Irish and named after a beer. Nice tradeoff, I would say. :shock: :D
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins