Satan and Fedatanko deadline bait?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Satan and Fedatanko deadline bait?

Postby no name on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:20 pm

I admit i was excited about getting these guys during the begining of the season. Of course losing Malone and Hossa you know these guys wouldn;t totally fill the void. They were nice enough to sign for less and maybe they can land us a decient winder of a higher fashion. The down side is they have one year deals and are free agents for whom ever they goto. Satan isn;t playing defence and i don;t think Therian is to happy with that, Fedetanko i was hoping this team would spark his scoring touch.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Satan and Fedatanko deadline bait?

Postby KG on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:23 pm

Both have minimal to no trade value, and the pens need them right now...I could see Satan getting moved to make the salary match up if we made a big splash, but I don't see it...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:29 pm

No go on either.

I'd say the bait would be:
Talbot, Dupuis, Gill, Boucher, Goligoski, Whitney and Kennedy.

Goligoski or Whitney would bring most (in terms of quality and perceived need) in an even swap.
If there is a deal of any consequence, GoGo seems like the most likely candidate.

EDIT: This is some of the most amusing fake-speculation that Eklund has put up regarding the Pens:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Kovalchuk-toPittsburgh-Edmonton-San-Jose-Ph8230/1/18252
(He's not even bothering to create his own rumors at this point, as it has been turned over to the readers.)
Last edited by columbia on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:30 pm

Doesn't "trade bait" imply they have value? If we believe they're crap, why would anyone else want them?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:55 pm

hm..... but i dont wanna trade anyone!
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:57 pm

The Pens will be buyers, not sellers.

And nobody wants them either.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gary on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:00 am

Maybe if we could package Satan with Whitney for Gaborik, that might give us a better shot at winning the Cup this year. Some have already suggested trading Whitney to free up cap room (http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30565). We have offensive minded blueliners with Gogo now and Gonchar coming back. Gaborik, provided he returns before the deadline and shows that he's recovered (and even then he's a gamble), would be a big improvement over Satan. Gaborik had his best season last year with 42 G 42 A. He'd be a big plus in a Cup run if healthy. Of course, we'd have no intention of signing him long term, and we'd be losing Whitney's cap hit, freeing up room, while keeping a spot for Goligoski on next year's roster. Sure, you'd like to keep Whitney long term, but you can't have everything, and we're going to need room for Staal. We won't get it by trading Gonchar (NTC). And we'd have to give up some real value to get Gaborik even as a rental.

Just as long as we break up Scudill :)
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:11 am

Nobody should even think about moving Whitney until it's confirmed that Gonchar has recovered 100 % from his injury. And even then... I don't think it's the right call.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:37 am

These questions would be a lot easier to answer if we knew how Whitney and Gonchar were going to play this year, although it's been a nice showcase for Letang and Goligoski. We're deep at defense, shallow on forwards. A decision will have to be made sooner or later, and I think Letang is untouchable at his point. Too much poise, natural talent, and potential to let that go. Whitney has proved he's a serviceable defenseman when he's healthy and inspired (Say what you want, 59 points in the NHL as a second year defenseman is so accident).

Goligoski... he's great, but I don't know where he fits in the defense. If I were Shero, I'd put his name out there and see what came back. The Penguins simply cannot afford a top flight player; anyone making over 6 million is out of the question due to the cap constraints. This is not the year for rash decisions, though. They're locked into nearly $6 million between Fedotenko and Satan, but as of this point in the season, neither are getting offers this summer for anywhere near the same amount. This could change of course, just as Sykora turned his year around the second half. If a deal for, purely as an example, a player like Phil Kessel or David Setogucci came up for Goligoski I'd wrap Satan or Fedotenko in with it and move on.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:40 am

Gary wrote:Maybe if we could package Satan with Whitney for Gaborik, that might give us a better shot at winning the Cup this year.

Can Gaborik score from the press box with an icepack on his groin?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:21 am

At the deadline there are generally 2 kinds of teams:
Team A. teams rebuilding and preparing for next season
Team B. teams gearing for the playoffs

Team A is trying to sell veterans with expiring contracts for prospects and picks
Team B is trying to pick up veterans and depth to help them with their playoff run and is willing to deal futures to team A for their veterans.

Do Fedotenko and Satan have trade value? Yes they do. . . but the teams that would try to add them for depth aren't going to send you guys that are going to help you in a playoff run for them, because they're gearing up for a playoff run themselves and want to have a lot of experienced NHL depth. Now it is possible that you could get someone, but if you're getting NHLers coming back, it is most likely going to be from that teams strength to improve their weakness. So you're looking at D-men and centers. Satan and Fedotenko could yield picks/prospects from another team gearing for the playoffs though. Not anything or anyone that great though. Although there are exceptions where teams will trade a player that isn't fitting on their team for another player who isn't fitting in on their trading partners team. People on HFboards were recently discussing something like Pyatt for Fedotenko making sense for both teams in that regard.

Would it come to it, Satan and Fedotenko could be moved to a playoff team in the west in order to make cap room for a player coming in from another trade. Say Kennedy and Goligoski get traded for that scoring winger everyone wants. . . well then Fedotenko could be traded to a Western bubble team that is gearing for the playoffs for some prospects/picks to make cap room/replenish the system.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:24 am

The Pens best assets for trading:

Group 1:
Whitney
Goligoski
Staal
Talbot

Group 2:
Letang
Kennedy
Caputi
Grant
Jeffrey
Veilleux
Kennedy

Group 1 = more sensible to trade because they are either on their 2nd contract or due for one that could hurt the Pens cap wise

Group 2 = on cheap contracts or on their entry level deals, but could still be dealt (talbot could belong in this group possibly, but we don't know what he'll sign for)

of course there are also draft picks

Personally I think if the Pens make a splash at the deadline Whitney or Goligoski will be traded. I'm leaning towards Whitney because of the cap situation. I think losing Staal hurts the Pens a lot more than people realize and I really hope management can come to terms with him, but if he is still demanding too much, he could possibly go as well. Talbot won't get traded.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Elivenspire on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:45 am

Take Whitney off your list, he aint goin anywhere. Whitney is light-years ahead of Letang in terms of taking over for Gonch, though Letang could end up being fantastic later on. Plus, teams won't want a guy who missed half a season due to injury, it lowers the return we could get. Also, If we trade Staal, shero will have to trade a couple cap-hit guys to free up the winger we'll be resigning this summer. I'm thinking if Staal goes anywhere, you have to ditch Fed and Boucher, even if its only for mediocre picks, so we get something out of them.
Elivenspire
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:08 am

I'd keep Fedotenko over Satan, if it comes down to that...i'm sure many here would disagree.

And agree with Eliv above, I'd be shocked if Whitney were traded this year.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:12 am

They have no trade value. And if they gained value by the trading deadline by scoring more goals and playing better, the Pens wouldn't want to trade them.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:23 am

they are on one year contracts and these are the types of guys people try to add when your contending not get ride of.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:53 am

Tank could have some value for a team looking for depth at the deadline and he is a UFA so no one is on the hook next year.

That being said, Fedotenko is the kind of player we would be looking to add at the deadline for depth for a long playoff run.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:21 pm

pfim wrote:They have no trade value. And if they gained value by the trading deadline by scoring more goals and playing better, the Pens wouldn't want to trade them.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Any team wanting these guys are either looking to add depth for a playoff push, or hoping to add one of them to help them get into the playoffs. So i would think you are going to get a player in the same boat, free agent, just hoping we might be able to move one of them for a power forward in a Malone mold.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:02 pm

no name wrote: just hoping we might be able to move one of them for a power forward in a Malone mold.

1) What player, in particular?

2) Never happening anyways.

3) Numbered lists in posts are kinda weak, I know

4) You say maybe a team making a playoff push would want them? Then why would a team making a playoff push want to trade a good power forward in the Malone mold for guys who are underproducing? Plus, Fedotenko is essentially a Malone-lite anyways.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:05 pm

Elivenspire wrote:Take Whitney off your list, he aint goin anywhere. Whitney is light-years ahead of Letang in terms of taking over for Gonch, though Letang could end up being fantastic later on. Plus, teams won't want a guy who missed half a season due to injury, it lowers the return we could get. Also, If we trade Staal, shero will have to trade a couple cap-hit guys to free up the winger we'll be resigning this summer. I'm thinking if Staal goes anywhere, you have to ditch Fed and Boucher, even if its only for mediocre picks, so we get something out of them.

The cap situation this summer begs to differ. Pens will need to move salary because they will only have about 3 million free to sign some top wingers- Malkin's untouchable, Orpik's untouchable, Fleury's untouchable, Crosby's untouchable, and Gonchar's got an NTC. That leaves Staal, Whitney, and Goligoski as the next biggest earners on the team next year.

And Staal isn't getting traded for a rental. I doubt he gets traded whatsoever, but it's still within the realm of possibility.

If they trade for any wingers, they'll most likely be someone signed for a few years on a good deal like Horton or on their entry level contracts like Filatov.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Firebird on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Seriously, stop talking about shipping Whitney anywhere, because he's not.

He's signed cheap and long term. Why would we trade that? It would be retarded.

If we start trading people who sign cheap, we'll never get hometown discounts.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Well who's going to go to make cap room? Or are the Pens just going to have to settle with having a top 6 completely comprised of 3rd liners next year?

I'd love to be able to keep everybody, but the Pens simply can't.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:16 pm

Firebird, i am all for trading Whitney although i agree it probly will never happen. if 4 million + is cheep then find me a bargin. Sure this guy can produce on the powerplay and gets a few points on 5 on 5. But he is a defensive weak player, Therian benched him last season for his lack of commitment in his defensive zone. He is a power puff dman, his physical play is terrible. He gets out worked for pucks on the board and will never take a hit to make a play. Whitney is a modern day Tarnstrom. Find me a more complete play at the same value. Letang and Goligoski play more of a complete game than Whitney and they are half his size.

I will conceed that his performance in the playoffs last year was the best i seen him play. But still doesn;t mean he is the best we can get in that position. I would rather have another Orpik type than Whitney.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:23 pm

no name wrote:Firebird, i am all for trading Whitney although i agree it probly will never happen. if 4 million + is cheep then find me a bargin. Sure this guy can produce on the powerplay and gets a few points on 5 on 5. But he is a defensive weak player, Therian benched him last season for his lack of commitment in his defensive zone. He is a power puff dman, his physical play is terrible. He gets out worked for pucks on the board and will never take a hit to make a play. Whitney is a modern day Tarnstrom. Find me a more complete play at the same value. Letang and Goligoski play more of a complete game than Whitney and they are half his size.

I will conceed that his performance in the playoffs last year was the best i seen him play. But still doesn;t mean he is the best we can get in that position. I would rather have another Orpik type than Whitney.

And who was it you're hoping that is going to be making passes up the ice? When the leash tightens around Goligoski's neck and is told to play defense you will witness the transformation of internet forum Chuck Norris into an undersized mediocre dman with an above average offensive skillset. Whitney and Letang will be here for the long haul. If you want to get rich and save your mortages bet on that.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins