Satan and Fedatanko deadline bait?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Satan and Fedatanko deadline bait?

Postby Firebird on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:25 pm

no name wrote:Firebird, i am all for trading Whitney although i agree it probly will never happen. if 4 million + is cheep then find me a bargin. Sure this guy can produce on the powerplay and gets a few points on 5 on 5. But he is a defensive weak player, Therian benched him last season for his lack of commitment in his defensive zone. He is a power puff dman, his physical play is terrible. He gets out worked for pucks on the board and will never take a hit to make a play. Whitney is a modern day Tarnstrom. Find me a more complete play at the same value. Letang and Goligoski play more of a complete game than Whitney and they are half his size.

I will conceed that his performance in the playoffs last year was the best i seen him play. But still doesn;t mean he is the best we can get in that position. I would rather have another Orpik type than Whitney.

Do I need to pull a Jeff Finger comment?
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:39 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:
no name wrote:Firebird, i am all for trading Whitney although i agree it probly will never happen. if 4 million + is cheep then find me a bargin. Sure this guy can produce on the powerplay and gets a few points on 5 on 5. But he is a defensive weak player, Therian benched him last season for his lack of commitment in his defensive zone. He is a power puff dman, his physical play is terrible. He gets out worked for pucks on the board and will never take a hit to make a play. Whitney is a modern day Tarnstrom. Find me a more complete play at the same value. Letang and Goligoski play more of a complete game than Whitney and they are half his size.

I will conceed that his performance in the playoffs last year was the best i seen him play. But still doesn;t mean he is the best we can get in that position. I would rather have another Orpik type than Whitney.

And who was it you're hoping that is going to be making passes up the ice? When the leash tightens around Goligoski's neck and is told to play defense you will witness the transformation of internet forum Chuck Norris into an undersized mediocre dman with an above average offensive skillset. Whitney and Letang will be here for the long haul. If you want to get rich and save your mortages bet on that.

Agreed (more or less..). Plus, I think the jury is still out for Whitney until we see what he can do for a whole season with a regular foot. He himself said that he probably wouldn't be reaping the full benefits of the surgery until next season rolls around. That's when we'll see what kind of player Whitney really can (or can't) be. And I think he'll deliver.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Zomg. When we get Whitney and Gonchar back we can really sit back and watch Sidney and Malkin perform surgery again. When that pass gets especially Crosby behind that first three, zomg....off to the races with mah SizNEy CrawZbeez. All the Crosby talk from last month wouldn't have happened if these passes exisited on a consistant basis like last year. As good as Crosby is, he is that much better with these breakouts. He absolutely excels with the kind of offense Pittsburgh can play once we get back Gonchar and Whitney. :)
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:57 pm

So you're making fun of..... yourself? :lol:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby crayz on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:26 pm

If they can't play with Crosby & Malkin and light up the scorecards...I don't think they will have much value unless a team needs a pair of 4th line wingers.

At this point i'd rather keep them and hope they pick it up. Satan has played some better since the beginning of the season
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:46 pm

WOw you guys are really sold on Whitney. Everytime i watch him i see the same defensive mistakes and a guy who is scared to go into the boards. Sure i see the offensive stats. But don;t want that at the sacrafice of MAF GGA going up for his mistakes.

I just disagree on this, i hope you guys are right about him. If i see "the same old Whit" when he returns there are options. And i don't think Whitney would be getting the Points he has gotten over his career if he hasn;t played with Crosby and Malkin on the PP. Mallin and Crosby would still produce without them. Hal Gill could get 30 assists on the power play with thoes guys. Gonchar on the other hand Makes thoes guys better.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:08 pm

Like I said before, let's see how the foot pans out over this season and what kind of effect it has on his game for a full season next year.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:32 pm

Here's the best part. It doesn't matter if I'm sold, you're sold, or we're all sold. RS was sold. Since RS doesn't have rocks for brains, I'd bet my rocks Whitney will be here the next time Sid's contract comes up. You just don't trade away a very inexpensive long-termed puck moving defenseman in this league. I'll bet you a billion dollars and a flux capacitor that Goligoski is moved before any other offensive dman we have. Gonchar is the PP quarterback. The OWNERSHIP last deadline said the time is now. You do not trade away a piece that took you to your destination only a few months prior. Letang is hand-in-hand with Buzz Lightyear ahead of Goligoski in terms of development both offensively and defensively. So who's left? Yup.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins