Nathan Horton

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Nathan Horton

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:57 am

Bruce Garroch is reporting that the Panthers are trying to move Nathan Horton. Why? I have no clue.

Anyways, with them supposedly shopping J-Bo around, this would likely leave them interested in a defenseman to fill the offensive void.

Horton is tough as nails and has some offensive skills. He fights and can play center and right wing.

I'd definitely be a fan of putting someone like Horton on Crosby's wing as I think he's in that same mold as Morrow, Brown, and Doan.

He's listed as 6'2" 229 and is 23 years old. He put up 31 goals 2 seasons ago and 27 last year.

What do you think and what would it take to get him here?

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Columni ... 57676.html
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Nathan Horton

Postby Kicksave on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:28 am

I'd offer up Fedotenko, Goligoski and a mid round pick to get things started.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:30 am

Whitney for Horton, straight up?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:34 am

Mongoose87 wrote:Whitney for Horton, straight up?

I'd strongly consider this, also.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:36 am

Kicksave wrote:I'd offer up Fedotenko, Goligoski and a mid round pick to get things started.

That's the in the neighborhood of what I was originally thinking. I think the pick would probably have to be a #1 though. Horton is a former #1 pick (3rd overall in 2003). Florida is supposedly interested in dumping salary because they are losing money and having trouble with payroll. They're giving tickets away down there to games.

The issue then becomes of what to do with Satan. Can he play LW? Has he done it in the past?

At that point, your RWers are: Horton, Sykora, Kennedy, Godard, (Satan)?

Goligoski is probably going to be sent down to WBS if/when Gonchar comes back. I'm expecting Whitney to be the old Whitney if he's fully healed. As much as I like Goligoski, I'd easily live with his departure if Horton was coming back in return.

Florida will probably ask for someone like Talbot instead of Fedotenko though. Dunno. I've seen wackier things happen before.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:39 am

If they move J-Bo and want another defenseman, it makes sense. They'd just have to move J-Bo for a forward probably.

The rumor has been Vermette + for J-Bo, so that would make sense IMO for them.

Florida receives Vermette + for J-Bo.

Florida receives Whitney (or another D/prospect) for Horton.

That way, they fill the need of an offensive defenseman when trading J-Bo and also receiving a forward that can score some goals with Vermette.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CKA24 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:44 am

I wouldn't mind GoGo Talbot and a mid rounder for Nate... I've always liked him.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Zarley Zalapski Overdrive on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:46 am

That's actually a really intriguing idea. It's tough to come up with equal values when you're dealing with guys still on the young side. But in this case...

--Only a year apart in age
--Both top-5 draft picks
--Identical cap numbers
--Both signed long-term
--Both have a ton of talent but have been inconsistent

Now, I don't know how much stock I really want to put into a rumor by our friend Mr. Garrioch here, but if the Panthers are actually unhappy with Horton and shopping him, they could swap him straight up for Whitney, then turn around and deal Bouwmeester at the deadline for a pretty dang good forward or two. And they really need to trade Bouwmeester so he doesn't walk away for nothing in the summer.

Wow. That actually makes a bit of sense. I think Shero would make that trade and see if Horton can turn into big Artie on Sid's wing.
Zarley Zalapski Overdrive

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:47 am

We need to move enough cap money to fit him.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Zarley Zalapski Overdrive on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:53 am

Mongoose87 wrote:We need to move enough cap money to fit him.

That's why I think Whitney straight up makes the most sense instead of trying to throw together Goligoski and assorted spare parts to try and land him. Of course, Florida would probably want to see how he looks out on the ice post-surgery before making that kind of high-profile deal. So that could complicate things.
Zarley Zalapski Overdrive

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 am

Zarley Zalapski Overdrive wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:We need to move enough cap money to fit him.

That's why I think Whitney straight up makes the most sense instead of trying to throw together Goligoski and assorted spare parts to try and land him. Of course, Florida would probably want to see how he looks out on the ice post-surgery before making that kind of high-profile deal. So that could complicate things.

Horton has been on IR for a couple weeks, so the wait and see factor goes in both directions.
Although, it doesn't seem to make sense for the Panthers to trade him for an existing starter/impact player. A collection of younger players and picks would make more sense; assuming they would doing this is a rebuild attempt.

GoGo and a 2nd? Sure....
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby netwolf on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:59 am

It's from Garrioch, so it's likely fiction, but I'd be on the phone to make sure anyway. Maybe ask about J-Bo too.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:07 am

N Horton and R Nash on non play-off teams, but Rick Nash usually does well in the world championships. Bad luck of injuries plague Horton. I might pass on him.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:27 am

penny lane wrote:N Horton and R Nash on non play-off teams, but Rick Nash usually does well in the world championships. Bad luck of injuries plague Horton. I might pass on him.

But Crosby needs his winger... blah blah. I agree with you penny lane.

Am I the only one of this board who is completely statisified with this current team? Just think about the 03 Pens. Go ahead, sit back at your desk and think about the 03-04 Pens. Because every single player on this team now is better then that team minus Hal Gill maybe (and of course 66 Le Magnificent.)

The cap situation is tight enough, and it is only going to get worse. Do you guys even consider the aspects of a deal like this? Whitney is at a bargain deal for a defenseman that can potentially put up 60 points in a season. Nathan Horton a 30 goal scorer in today's nhl will easily run you at 5 Mill per. Gogo has talent on the blue line, however whether you want to admit it or not he is still far from Whitney's talent.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KinCroz on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:41 am

I would trade Staal for Horton straight up. If they want d-men instead, I would consider Go-Go and throw in Lovejoy. I don't think we should trade Whitney because he is a steal in terms of salary. He is also the most consistent scoring defenseman other than Gonchar. I would prefer to keep Letang because he is right-handed.
KinCroz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:48 am

Love to have Horton, it won't be cheap that's for sure...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:51 am

Whitney, Talbot, Satan and a 1st rounder for Bouwmeester and Horton :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:45 am

Nizzy wrote:
penny lane wrote:N Horton and R Nash on non play-off teams, but Rick Nash usually does well in the world championships. Bad luck of injuries plague Horton. I might pass on him.

Am I the only one of this board who is completely statisified with this current team? Just think about the 03 Pens. Go ahead, sit back at your desk and think about the 03-04 Pens. Because every single player on this team now is better then that team minus Hal Gill maybe (and of course 66 Le Magnificent.)

The cap situation is tight enough, and it is only going to get worse. Do you guys even consider the aspects of a deal like this? Whitney is at a bargain deal for a defenseman that can potentially put up 60 points in a season. Nathan Horton a 30 goal scorer in today's nhl will easily run you at 5 Mill per. Gogo has talent on the blue line, however whether you want to admit it or not he is still far from Whitney's talent.

You're not alone. I'm with you. We are 15-7-4, in one of the best starts in franchise history. I'm content with this team. And as I said before, I don't expect anything big now or at the trade deadline (barring any injuries to big-time players). I would expect one of those signature Ray Shero type moves however that could solidify a weak spot on this team (nothing too big such as Gabby, Kovalchuk, Horton).

If the name of a big power forward pops up that I feel interested in (and could help this team), and could help Sid/Malkin out on their lines, I may be swayed towards that direction a little bit. But if it means giving up Staal, Whitney, or Goligoski...I'll pass. I'm content with our depth...and I do not want to sacrifice any of the future or guys that are part of the "core".
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:53 am

Nizzy wrote:

I don't believe with the wingers we have on this team that we'll go to or win the SCF. I'm just being honest.

One of the main issues I see this year compared to last is that on Crosby and Malkin's line, especially Crosby, on 5 on 5, other teams solely focus their efforts on shutting them down in the neutral zone. This is a problem because Satan is not good at carrying the puck in the zone and Talbot tends to dump and chase. Malone and Hossa were good at carrying the puck in the offensive zone and creating room for other people on the line.

It's a crapshoot on who is going to the SCF from the East. There are 4 solid teams right now but none overly spectacular. Our defense will get better when Whitney and Sarge come back but the 5 on 5 issues are a real concern IMO.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:05 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Nizzy wrote:

I don't believe with the wingers we have on this team that we'll go to or win the SCF. I'm just being honest.

One of the main issues I see this year compared to last is that on Crosby and Malkin's line, especially Crosby, on 5 on 5, other teams solely focus their efforts on shutting them down in the neutral zone. This is a problem because Satan is not good at carrying the puck in the zone and Talbot tends to dump and chase. Malone and Hossa were good at carrying the puck in the offensive zone and creating room for other people on the line.

It's a crapshoot on who is going to the SCF from the East. There are 4 solid teams right now but none overly spectacular. Our defense will get better when Whitney and Sarge come back but the 5 on 5 issues are a real concern IMO.

I agree. I easily see Shero pulling a larger deal at or before the deadline that nets a solid goal scoring winger. He knows that this team needs more. Especially come playoff time when things are that much tighter and goals are at a premium...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:08 pm

Already been gone over. Would take something like Whitney and a pick. Staal + Eaton/Gill/Boucher and a pick to get him and have the salary work out. I would do Whitney straight up for him they're both signed to long term deals.

http://msgboard.pittsburghpenguins.com/ ... opic=25233
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:09 pm

The following is all speculation, but I was just trying to think through whether or not it is plausible that Florida is looking to move Horton.

According to nhlnumbers.com, Florida only has a little less than 1.5 million in cap space. I had no idea they were that close to the cap. Booth is going to be a restricted FA, and of course, Bouwmeester is going to be unrestricted. Add in the fact that the team is likely not doing well financially, and it might make sense for them to look to move some of their higher priced players. Given their cap situation and financial situation, I would think that Florida would be looking for a picks/prospects type of return rather than a player(s) with similar salaries. That being said, I'm not sure why they would want to get rid of Horton. Bouwmeester is understandable, but Horton is a young power-forward type with a decent record of production and a reasonable long-term deal (4 mil/yr through 2013). Florida could move Bouwmeester, clear enough cap room to re-sign Booth and probably cut a million or so in payroll.

From the Pens' point of view, I think Horton could be an ideal acquisition given what I said above. I would offer Goligoski and a 1st round pick, maybe even throw in a mid-level prospect if needed. I don't know how the Pens could make that work in terms of the cap down the road, but it is fun to think having a Horton type player.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:12 pm

Both signed long term. Whitney + for Horton makes a ton of sense...I'm sure we would have to add a sweetener to the deal though...

Whitney and Talbot for Horton??
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:19 pm

KG wrote:Both signed long term. Whitney + for Horton makes a ton of sense...I'm sure we would have to add a sweetener to the deal though...

Why? Assuming he comes back healthy, Whitney would have a lot more trade value around the league than Horton would, so I don't see why the Pens would have to overpay for a trade in this situation.

Like I said before, Pens can't even begin to think about moving Whitney until they know that Gonchar isn't showing any ill-effects from his injury.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:28 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
KG wrote:Both signed long term. Whitney + for Horton makes a ton of sense...I'm sure we would have to add a sweetener to the deal though...

Why? Assuming he comes back healthy, Whitney would have a lot more trade value around the league than Horton would, so I don't see why the Pens would have to overpay for a trade in this situation.

Like I said before, Pens can't even begin to think about moving Whitney until they know that Gonchar isn't showing any ill-effects from his injury.
Even if Gonchar does come back healthy, who would you rather have a mid 30's d-man who is only signed for one more year, or Whitney who will be 26 later this year and is signed for the next 5 years at a reasonable cap hit. I understand that Whitney has more trade value, and that Gonchar has a NTC, but you are making a big assumption that Letang and/or Goligoski is going to make up the offense that you lose in Whitney.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins