Nathan Horton

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Nathan Horton

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:50 pm

I really think if RS wanted to he could add a salary. Just as much as we smack on Satan/Fedotenko, they are attractive because they are on one year deals and to some team looking to get into the playoffs, they would be attracted to them. I'm sure Ottawa, Carolina, Chicago, and LA would like some secondary scoring.

I'm just looking at it from Florida's perspective. If they wanted to get rid of Horton due to salary, they are going to want cheap talent coming back, i.e. Goligoski, a 1st, etc. We have the cap issue but I'm sure RS would find a creative way for us to make some room.

If we were going to sign Hossa for $7m a year for numerous years, I think he could do the same for a young coveted power forward that'd be in the same mold as Tocchet for Sid's wing. The nice thing about Horton is that he can carry the puck in the zone as well and take that pressure off of Sid. He'd quickly be a fan favorite here after his first fight.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby kirk on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:00 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I really think if RS wanted to he could add a salary. Just as much as we smack on Satan/Fedotenko, they are attractive because they are on one year deals and to some team looking to get into the playoffs, they would be attracted to them. I'm sure Ottawa, Carolina, Chicago, and LA would like some secondary scoring.

I'm just looking at it from Florida's perspective. If they wanted to get rid of Horton due to salary, they are going to want cheap talent coming back, i.e. Goligoski, a 1st, etc. We have the cap issue but I'm sure RS would find a creative way for us to make some room.

If we were going to sign Hossa for $7m a year for numerous years, I think he could do the same for a young coveted power forward that'd be in the same mold as Tocchet for Sid's wing. The nice thing about Horton is that he can carry the puck in the zone as well and take that pressure off of Sid. He'd quickly be a fan favorite here after his first fight.

Sid+Geno+Cooke+Dupuis+Goddard+Kennedy+Gonch+Whitney+Orpik+Eaton+Letang+MAF = 42M for 2009-2010. Keep Staal and Talbot and add a reserve forward, a pair of defensemen, and a backup goalie for 7M. That's 49M, and all you need are a pair of wingers each for Sid and Geno. Now, add in Horton. That's 53M with three scoring line wingers needed. Even if you moved Dupuis and Eaton for two players making 1.5M combined, you're still at 51M. At best, you've got 5M for three scoring line wingers . . . assuming the cap doesn't drop. Oh, you could move Whitney, but then you've taken Whitney and Gogo out of the equation. It's not a good situation. I love Horton . . . I just don't see it happening unless the Pens moved both Staal and Whitney and got three players making 6M combined in return. Not sure if that makes it worth it . . .

EDIT: Bob, we were giving Hossa 7M per season based on the assumption that the cap for 2009-2010 would go up to near 60M, not stay where it is or even fall by a few million. And, even then, we were looking at having a lot of minimum wage guys or having to move Staal and/or Whitney.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:31 pm

Sams_Dog wrote:
marek wrote:how about:

Booth, Horton and Bouwmeester for Staal, Whitney and Satan...

or Weiss, Horton and Bouwmeester for Staal, Whitney and Fedotenko

If RS was able to pull this off the Pens would be instantly dominant. If both guys are available from Florida then I would go after both. I could take losing Staal, Whitney + a player/pick for that.

I reiterate: Yeah.... since the above players are so dominant for Florida already......
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:33 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I really think if RS wanted to he could add a salary. Just as much as we smack on Satan/Fedotenko, they are attractive because they are on one year deals and to some team looking to get into the playoffs, they would be attracted to them. I'm sure Ottawa, Carolina, Chicago, and LA would like some secondary scoring.

Pens would like some secondary scoring too :lol:

As was mentioned in another thread, if those guys aren't scoring then they have no trade value. If they are scoring then the Pens could use their 'secondary scoring.'
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:40 pm

I would love to see Horton for Gogo and 1st rounder,i would keep Whitney for now,but then we are in salary cap screwed position totally.. If Staal signs for 3.5 mills,we are around 44 -45 mills (crosby,geno,maf,whitney,gonchar,staal,horton,Orpik) for 8 players,soo that leaves us with what 11 mills(14 players) for rest of the team,,mission impossible,right..!?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:30 pm

Pens4Life wrote:I would love to see Horton for Gogo and 1st rounder,i would keep Whitney for now,but then we are in salary cap screwed position totally.. If Staal signs for 3.5 mills,we are around 44 -45 mills (crosby,geno,maf,whitney,gonchar,staal,horton,Orpik) for 8 players,soo that leaves us with what 11 mills(14 players) for rest of the team,,mission impossible,right..!?

Gonchar would go bye-bye.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:38 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:I would love to see Horton for Gogo and 1st rounder,i would keep Whitney for now,but then we are in salary cap screwed position totally.. If Staal signs for 3.5 mills,we are around 44 -45 mills (crosby,geno,maf,whitney,gonchar,staal,horton,Orpik) for 8 players,soo that leaves us with what 11 mills(14 players) for rest of the team,,mission impossible,right..!?

i doubt about that.. as i said i think he could finish his career here.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:41 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:

If its up to the pens, Gonchar is gone long before Whitney. Problem is he could choose not to waive his no trade clause if they need to move someone, and thus force them to move Whitney. I have a feeling there are a lot of people in Pittsburgh who wouldn't forgive him for that and he wouldn't be brought back the following year anyway.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:52 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:

If the cap is tight, he's one of the first D-men that is moved IMO. I love Gonchar, but you have 4 young defensemen in Whitney, Orpik, Letang, and Gogo.

I agree with Idoit. I think the Pens are more interested in moving Gonchar before Whitney.

My main concern about Gonchar is this injury. He turns 35 in April and this injury is pretty serious. Nothing he can't come back from but Boucher had shoulder problems too and Stars fans said he was never the same with his shot after his surgeries.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:53 pm

How about Whitney, Satan and a 2nd rounder for Horton and Booth.

Fedotenko to Nashville for Tootoo.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:15 pm

Whintey will not be traded this season. Shero doesn't know if Gonchar will come back to full form, and he won't do anything that will weaken this team for the playoff run. Having a Gonchar or Whitney eating #1 minutes is crucial to this team's success, and Letang isn't there yet.

Goligoski would be the only way it would happen this season. But it would require moving a bit of salary Florida's way... Horton's contract is perfect for this team in the long term, as he would take up Satan's spot on the payroll. If Gonchar returns to full form in the playoffs, a Whitney-Horton swap might make sense in the offseason. But I agree though that offensive defensemen are more valuable commodity's than power forwards.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm still not feeling it that FLA would move Horton or Booth for players with more than minimal (not the minimum) contracts; if it's all about salary dump, why would they want someone like Whitney or Staal. That really makes no sense.

Goligoski and Kennedy - as far as the Pens go - would be the type of roster players that would be of interest.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:04 pm

I never read anything that these rumors had anything to do with a salary dump. Horton is locked up at a reasonable rate; I've also heard others are available. The money is there for Jay Bo too, however he is looking to get out of town. I think the rumors involving Horton have more to do with him under performing this year.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:53 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I never read anything that these rumors had anything to do with a salary dump. Horton is locked up at a reasonable rate; I've also heard others are available. The money is there for Jay Bo too, however he is looking to get out of town. I think the rumors involving Horton have more to do with him under performing this year.

Well, they are averaging ~ 15,000 a game. I imagine that includes a fair amount of no-shows, which kills a lot of concession sales. I don't know about overall financial health of the ownership, but I can't imagine them being able to justify a 55M payroll for a perennial lottery team.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins