Radim Vrbata

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Radim Vrbata

Postby npv708 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:22 pm

He was waived by the Lightning.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258958&lid= ... cStory_nhl

as required by the customs of the board, i am required to ask should we go after him?

he was on our radar prior to the season?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,658
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby pens_CT on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:26 pm

npv708 wrote:He was waived by the Lightning.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258958&lid= ... cStory_nhl

as required by the customs of the board, i am required to ask should we go after him?

he was on our radar prior to the season?
At his current salary of 3 mil/year for another 2 years beyond this season, PASS.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,543
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Vrbata? More of the same with Syjkora, Satan and Pesonen.

Gratton? I wouldn't mind it, worst case is you waive him again if he doesn't pan out. We have cap space a lpenty until Gonchar is back and even then you waive Boucher or Gill if Gratton is fitting in. Just this year at $1.5 million and he can play 4th line until Zigomanis is ready to come back.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,279
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:34 pm

"Radim is a great guy and he came into our office on Sunday morning and just told us his confidence is low and he would like to head home to the Czech Republic to finish the season,”"

Geez. Head Case city. And people thought Zherdev was an enigma.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,378
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby Penspal on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:34 pm

waived by the Lightning.

:shock:

by the Lightning...

P
A
S
S
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,383
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby npv708 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Penspal wrote:waived by the Lightning.

:shock:

by the Lightning...

P
A
S
S



I say we hold out until they waive Vinny, St. Louis, or Stamkos....its only a matter of time.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,658
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:54 pm

DelPen wrote:
Gratton? I wouldn't mind it, worst case is you waive him again if he doesn't pan out. We have cap space a lpenty until Gonchar is back and even then you waive Boucher or Gill if Gratton is fitting in. Just this year at $1.5 million and he can play 4th line until Zigomanis is ready to come back.


At the start of the season, I would have agreed with you. In fact, I posted that they should pick him up. Now, not so much.

I wanted Gratton because iof his faceoff ability and thought he could center the third line with Staal moving to wing with Malkin. But then three things happened.

1. They got Z-man. Thus, no need for another good faceoff guy.
2. Staal struggled on Malkin's wing.
3. The third line, with Staal centering, has been awesome.

There is now no reason to move Staal to wing. And that eliminates the need for Gratton.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,754
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby helmespc on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:17 pm

meecrofilm wrote:"Radim is a great guy and he came into our office on Sunday morning and just told us his confidence is low and he would like to head home to the Czech Republic to finish the season,”"


Translation.... "I don't want to spend the next 4 months suffering with this joke of a team"
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,438
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:48 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby KG on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:24 pm

Vrbata pulled a Ziggy Palffy ! = O
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby Pitts on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:25 pm

KG wrote:Vrbata pulled a Ziggy Palffy ! = O

He got ziggy with it!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,421
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:29 pm

I like vrbata and thought the pens should go after him during the offseason, but with satan and fedko already on the team, vrbata doesn't bring anything special other than a 3 mil cap hit
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby cojac on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:31 pm

Gratton can play LW also
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,002
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: Fire Bylsma!

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby kirk on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:39 pm

npv708 wrote:He was waived by the Lightning.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258958&lid= ... cStory_nhl

as required by the customs of the board, i am required to ask should we go after him?

he was on our radar prior to the season?


1. The Pens have no longer term cap space (i.e., only until Gonch returns).

2. Vrbata makes Satan and Sykora look consistent.

3. I can think of 3 years and 9M reasons why not.

4. While nobody may want to discuss it, the Pens are about the enter cap ****. When the cap for 2009-2010 was anticipated to be close to 60M, the problems weren't as great. But, now, the talk is that the cap will drop to the 54-55M range. The Pens now have about 43M committed to 6 forwards, 5 defensemen, and MAF for next season. Staal, Talbot, and Gogo are RFA's. Even if all three sign for less than expected and the reserves come for 2M combined, I estimate that the Pens may have about 4-5M total for 4 wingers for Sid and Geno. When you're dealing with that kind of situation (where even say trading Whitney for a younger defenseman making 1M frees up only 3M), you cannot afford to take flyers on the Radim Vrbata's of the NHL.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,000
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Satan > Vrbata.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby kirk on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:Satan > Vrbata.


And on a one year deal . . .
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,000
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:44 pm

kirk wrote:4. you cannot afford to take flyers on the Radim Vrbata's of the NHL.


and Elvis has left the building
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,767
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby KG on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:45 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:I like vrbata and thought the pens should go after him during the offseason, but with satan and fedko already on the team, vrbata doesn't bring anything special other than a 3 mil cap hit


I agree with you. I actually thought at the time that 3 years $9MM was a very fair contract, guess not...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:49 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Gratton? I wouldn't mind it, worst case is you waive him again if he doesn't pan out. We have cap space a lpenty until Gonchar is back and even then you waive Boucher or Gill if Gratton is fitting in. Just this year at $1.5 million and he can play 4th line until Zigomanis is ready to come back.


At the start of the season, I would have agreed with you. In fact, I posted that they should pick him up. Now, not so much.

I wanted Gratton because iof his faceoff ability and thought he could center the third line with Staal moving to wing with Malkin. But then three things happened.

1. They got Z-man. Thus, no need for another good faceoff guy.
2. Staal struggled on Malkin's wing.
3. The third line, with Staal centering, has been awesome.

There is now no reason to move Staal to wing. And that eliminates the need for Gratton.


Gratton on Sid's LW?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,279
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby KG on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:52 pm

DelPen wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Gratton? I wouldn't mind it, worst case is you waive him again if he doesn't pan out. We have cap space a lpenty until Gonchar is back and even then you waive Boucher or Gill if Gratton is fitting in. Just this year at $1.5 million and he can play 4th line until Zigomanis is ready to come back.


At the start of the season, I would have agreed with you. In fact, I posted that they should pick him up. Now, not so much.

I wanted Gratton because iof his faceoff ability and thought he could center the third line with Staal moving to wing with Malkin. But then three things happened.

1. They got Z-man. Thus, no need for another good faceoff guy.
2. Staal struggled on Malkin's wing.
3. The third line, with Staal centering, has been awesome.

There is now no reason to move Staal to wing. And that eliminates the need for Gratton.


Gratton on Sid's LW?


Gratton is 18 games 0-2 with 16 shots...He's 4th line fodder at this time...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:59 pm

KG wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
There is now no reason to move Staal to wing. And that eliminates the need for Gratton.


Gratton on Sid's LW?


Gratton is 18 games 0-2 with 16 shots...He's 4th line fodder at this time...


So what you are syaing is Gratton on Zigomanis's wing?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,279
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby KG on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:03 pm

][/quote]Gratton is 18 games 0-2 with 16 shots...He's 4th line fodder at this time...[/quote]

[/quote]So what you are syaing is Gratton on Zigomanis's wing?[/quote]

I'll say pass on Gratton in general...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby kirk on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:04 pm

KG wrote:]
Gratton is 18 games 0-2 with 16 shots...He's 4th line fodder at this time...[/quote]

[/quote]So what you are syaing is Gratton on Zigomanis's wing?[/quote]

I'll say pass on Gratton in general...[/quote]

Sounds like a good investment in a 1.5M per season player to me, especially on a team with 4 LW's (including Talbot) who bring the same third line caliber game to the table . . . :lol:
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,000
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby Stoosh on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:11 pm

kirk wrote:
npv708 wrote:He was waived by the Lightning.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258958&lid= ... cStory_nhl

as required by the customs of the board, i am required to ask should we go after him?

he was on our radar prior to the season?


1. The Pens have no longer term cap space (i.e., only until Gonch returns).

2. Vrbata makes Satan and Sykora look consistent.

3. I can think of 3 years and 9M reasons why not.

4. While nobody may want to discuss it, the Pens are about the enter cap ****. When the cap for 2009-2010 was anticipated to be close to 60M, the problems weren't as great. But, now, the talk is that the cap will drop to the 54-55M range. The Pens now have about 43M committed to 6 forwards, 5 defensemen, and MAF for next season. Staal, Talbot, and Gogo are RFA's. Even if all three sign for less than expected and the reserves come for 2M combined, I estimate that the Pens may have about 4-5M total for 4 wingers for Sid and Geno. When you're dealing with that kind of situation (where even say trading Whitney for a younger defenseman making 1M frees up only 3M), you cannot afford to take flyers on the Radim Vrbata's of the NHL.


The 2009-10 cap was discussed at length on the Satellite Hot Stove on Hockey Night in Canada this past weekend, and the notion that the cap may come down is not a certainty at all. In fact, Pierre Lebrun mentioned that the cap may actually go up again, but by a more modest $1-2 million or so.

I forget all of the details, but the cap for next year is at least in part determined by league revenues for this season. A significant portion of those revenues have already been accounted for (season ticket money, initial television revenues, etc).

Lebrun said if there's a season when the cap does come down, it'll likely be 2010-11, as the 2009-10 revenues (revenues which influence the 2010-11 cap) will be the first ones to be affected by the slumping economy for a full year.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,461
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby purelebo84 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:30 pm

I'd pick him up in a heartbeat.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,949
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: The 412

Re: Radim Vrbata

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:34 pm

helmespc wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:"Radim is a great guy and he came into our office on Sunday morning and just told us his confidence is low and he would like to head home to the Czech Republic to finish the season,”"


Translation.... "I don't want to spend the next 4 months suffering with this joke of a team"


Between that (terrible attitude) and being a head case...... I'd say it's lose-lose either way. Big Pass.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,378
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

e-mail