Official GDT - Sabres at Pens 12/8/08

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT - Sabres at Pens 12/8/08

Postby profpolisci on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:15 am

booboo wrote:
profpolisci wrote:The Penguins are what they are and if you don't think this team is as deep as it needs to be with five key players injured and a rookie point on the PP then your heads in a cloud.

I disagree, at least on the rookies end.
They are perfectly capable of performing at the NHL level, with one
exception being Pesonen.

Exactly what I was trying to say. I wiped out on my sentence structure.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:17 am

Goalie wrote:How long will the Gogo on the #1 PP experiment last?

He kills the #1 power play. His LH shot is not his fault but it gives the PP one less option. He may become a better PP player in the NHL but he is still playing at AHL speed. That loooooong wrist wind up was great in the AHL, guys in the NHL are laughing at him. He hangs Malkin out to dry regularly and the worst part of it all is that #58 sits on the bench while Gogo is out there killing the PP.

This is purely a coaching problem. I know its popular to blame Yeo but Therien has final say on all matters I would assume. I am not a fire coaches guy at this time but this has been their biggest glaring error this season.

I don't see a solution right now. Letang isn't the first option on the PP because he never took advantage of his chances. He's always been too hesitant to shoot. Goligoski will shoot, but he takes too long to react. He waits too long to shoot and is always shooting it into guys. But, he's a rookie and will eventually get up to speed. They miss Gonchar and Whitney. That's the good thing about a lot of this team's problems lately. They'll be solved by injured players returning to the lineup.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wallflower on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:20 am

Meh. It happens.

Players have bad games, the power play doesn't convert, etc. I'll leave the hand-wringing to others.

The Pens really miss Zigomanis more than anything. It's incredible what a huge, obvious loss he's been.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby kirk on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:21 am

Henry Hank wrote:
Goalie wrote:How long will the Gogo on the #1 PP experiment last?

He kills the #1 power play. His LH shot is not his fault but it gives the PP one less option. He may become a better PP player in the NHL but he is still playing at AHL speed. That loooooong wrist wind up was great in the AHL, guys in the NHL are laughing at him. He hangs Malkin out to dry regularly and the worst part of it all is that #58 sits on the bench while Gogo is out there killing the PP.

This is purely a coaching problem. I know its popular to blame Yeo but Therien has final say on all matters I would assume. I am not a fire coaches guy at this time but this has been their biggest glaring error this season.

I don't see a solution right now. Letang isn't the first option on the PP because he never took advantage of his chances. He's always been too hesitant to shoot. Goligoski will shoot, but he takes too long to react. He waits too long to shoot and is always shooting it into guys. But, he's a rookie and will eventually get up to speed. They miss Gonchar and Whitney. That's the good thing about a lot of this team's problems lately. They'll be solved by injured players returning to the lineup.

If the personnel don't work . . . and, it's pretty clear that they aren't (or weren't with the TK experiment) . . . then it's time to change the philosophy. Here's a question that I asked elsewhere: Do Sid and Geno work better together in the offensive zone on the PP or at 4 on 4? The answer to that question and some discussion as to the reasons for the answer suggest this: Asking two players who are at their best when they are skating, attacking, and always moving to play a predictable game might not be the best idea in the world. Yeah, they'll be proficient, because they're that good, but they won't be as proficient as they could be.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:25 am

My thoughts on this game are between this---->Image and this---->Image

But this team has the best two players in the NHL they'll rebound next game,just a minor set back tonight.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cojac on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:25 am

I'm postive Mike Yeo needs to find a new line of work.
cojac
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:26 am

cojac wrote:I'm postive Mike Yeo needs to find a new line of work.

He works,Really?!
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cojac on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:34 am

71Aj66ax87 wrote:
cojac wrote:I'm postive Mike Yeo needs to find a new line of work.

He works,Really?!

:lol: got me
cojac
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:35 am

I need to take naps earlier in the evening so I don't sleep through games and fail to bring the Saget and Shovel juju.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:50 am

Brooks and K Letang going through a bad patch defensively.

I am guilty of loving the skills & wizardry on display when the pens are passing, but last night they were frantic with the passing, not patient at all. Thing is, when you don't keep the pressure full on from the start, a quality goalie can stabilize a team with key saves. Miller did that.

All of them should be in surly moods ... to match their coaches, I'm sure.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 am

Horrible patch...and I hate to just single out one player, but Orpik has been a huge liability the past two games. He's been the difference between at least 3 points and none.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:38 am

pfim wrote:

Horrible patch...and I hate to just single out one player, but Orpik has been a huge liability the past two games. He's been the difference between at least 3 points and none.

Agreed pfim. Orpik has been horrible for a nice little stretch now...Letang I thought played a aggressive game...He is much better overall then Goligoski...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:36 pm

SolidSnake wrote: Well dagny you can add me to your foe list and I'll gladly add you to mine.

Your prerogative. Still does not negate the gdt RULES.

SolidSnake wrote:What in the heck is the point of the GDT then? to talk only good? and wind up with half the topic of ridiculous pictures?

See: netwolf's posts in this thread. (and, btw, he is not a fan of multitudes of pics, either)

SolidSnake wrote:The Pen's can't hold a lead. Wait, I gotta find some way to "channel" good juju out of that. :roll:

Come to the chat during the game. NO JUJU RESTRICTIONS in the chat. All of you who are miffed about the gdt rules can come vent in the chat. Board rules, still apply.

(FYI: Juju restrictions in the gdt are lifted once the game ends.)
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dagny on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:42 pm

kirk wrote:
netwolf wrote:It's a long standing LGP.com tradition. There are a few standard rules that govern the GDT, but the starter does have some leeway as far as what he or she want to do. I am going to back the people that still want to carry the tradition forward. I'm not asking everyone to join in; I'm asking that you respect those that do.

And again, I never said it is has to be all positive. There are ways to express dissatisfaction without being a drag on juju. "Orpik is struggling" or "Orpik has flashed back to the pre-LW days" are examples of that. "Satan sucks" and "Yeo is the worst PP coach in the league" are not.

Like I said, I don't care what your opinion is - if you (or anyone else) finds it silly, that's fine with me, but a lot of people don't read a GDT to see everyone venting over everything that goes wrong.

Netwolf, if you suggest that "Orpik is struggling" BECAUSE he's chasing in his own zone more than he should be and hanging his defensive partner out to dry or if you suggest that "Yeo is the worst PP coach in the league" BECAUSE he coaches a telegraphed PP that, because of a lack of player movement, doesn't challenge the PK and that, absent the back door play, ignores half of the offensive zone, is that o'k?

Yes, I believe that is acceptable. :wink:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins