Official GDT - Sabres at Pens 12/8/08

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT - Sabres at Pens 12/8/08

Postby Gary on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:31 pm

cojac wrote:Mike Yeo is here as long as MT is here, period. Don't get me wrong Yeo is not a NHL PP coach, he should be in the ECHL coaching someones PK.

Exactly, because at that level, they need to run the same plays every time, because they aren't skilled enough to do anything else.
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Killiecrankie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:33 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Eismann wrote:Miller was great tonight.

He was, and ours was and has been terrible. I know he has good stats, but he is perhaps the weakest goaltender in the league when the puck is being driven to his net. He is sloppy down low.

He has consistently given up goals in tight, night after night. The Pens D, especially with the injuries, is not up to keeping the opponents away from the slow. With Sabu in net, that is a feast for the opposing team. If I look back over his game log, teams have consistently gotten one or two softies every night. I know that neither goal in the Vancouver game was a good one, the loss to the Sens came on a sloppy effort not covering the near post on a centering pass that went off Letang, the Isles game was a disaster, Philly scored a few goal mouth jams........and there are more.

When he sees the shot from any distance at all, he is very good. In tight, he is a mess. There has to be some flaw in his technique, because other big goalies are nearly impenetrable down low.

Its not flaw in technique, its a lack of athetic ability. Once Sabo is down, he is down, out of the play, gone. He cannot get his legs out far enough for the classic butterfly so he either gets beat fivehole or low corner.

He is a **** of a goalie.
Killiecrankie

Postby kirk on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:33 pm

scals37 wrote:
The U wrote:
kirk wrote:Time to be somewhat realistic: The Pens have been a team with Sid, Geno, a good third line, and timely goaltending. At the same time, their "scoring" forwards wouldn't be on a scoring line on any cup caliber or even very good team. The defense is without a top pairing defenseman (Orpik-Letang is a 3/4 pairing being asked to play 1/2 minutes). And, then, with Fleury out, there's the goaltending. Finally, with TK out, you don't even have that third line.

Take a look at this roster that took the ice tonight. You've got Sid and Geno playing 2 versus Buffalo hockey, because the support-- which was barely adequate-- is just completely lacking. There's only so much that they can do when your most consistent winger is injured and even less when that winger is Tyler Kennedy.

Perhaps the return of Whitney will help to rectify some of this (part of the problem is no transition game). But, there's just nothing on the wings right now.

P.S.: Mike Yeo might rank as the worst power play coach in the NHL. Is there some league rule that doesn't allow players on the power play to move unless it is the back door or to chase a rebound?

100% right on.

you know what.... when your team is capable of winning these type of games, saying that is only sugar coating the fact that we could have and should have won tonight..... this team isnt that different from last week when we seemed to be capable of beating anyone cause of the depth and youth...

1. No TK = Less effective third line (one that doesn't keep the puck in the offensive zone and establish momentum).

2. Notwithstanding what he was doing a week ago, there's a reason that Sabourin makes 500K per year.

The Pens were a team on a hot streak being carried by Sid, Geno, a good third line, Orpik/Letang-- a true 3/4-- impersonating a 1/2 pairing, and Sabourin impersonating a starting goalie. What we're seeing now is the ups and downs associated with a team that, given tonight's roster, would be the worst team in the NHL without Sid and Geno.

Again, take out Sid and Geno and three players being asked to do a lot more than they would be doing under ordinary circumstances (Staal, Orpik, Letang). Name another player who even would have a roster place in Boston or San Jose or Detroit.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:34 pm

The tradition of the GDT being a conduit for good juju goes back longer than most posters. You're well within your rights if you find it silly or juvenile, but many people do not. Some might enjoy the tradition simply for traditions-sake, or because of superstition. Some believe in the juju, others just find it fun, and some might just enjoy not reading "[insert player/coach name here] sucks" every other post.

If you're in the vocal minority that thinks it's silly, no one forces you to participate. Also note, that there ARE ways to criticize without being disruptive. Not everything I posted in here was all rainbows and puppies. There are plenty of other examples from other posters as well.

Did they play a good game? Far from it, but with the vast amount of complaining in here, you'd swear we were watching Florida, Tampa, Toronto, or [insert name of sucktastic team here] every night. (Ironically, Florida and Toronto won tonight.) Call me crazy, but I don't think many people want to read page after page of people bemoaning everything that goes wrong. It gets old. Quick.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby maudineormsby on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:35 pm

netwolf wrote:The tradition of the GDT being a conduit for good juju goes back longer than most posters. You're well within your rights if you find it silly or juvenile, but many people do not. Some might enjoy the tradition simply for traditions-sake, or because of superstition. Some believe in the juju, others just find it fun, and some might just enjoy not reading "[insert player/coach name here] sucks" every other post.

If you're in the vocal minority that thinks it's silly, no one forces you to participate. Also note, that there ARE ways to criticize without being disruptive. Not everything I posted in here was all rainbows and puppies. There are plenty of other examples from other posters as well.

Did they play a good game? Far from it, but with the vast amount of complaining in here, you'd swear we were watching Florida, Tampa, Toronto, or [insert name of sucktastic team here] every night. (Ironically, Florida and Toronto won tonight.) Call me crazy, but I don't think many people want to read page after page of people bemoaning everything that goes wrong. It gets old. Quick.

I agree with this. Anyone else agree?
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:35 pm

Gogo and Lovejoy each were +1 tonight - did they look that good, or were they lucky they were on for a goal for and none of the four against?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: PM me your email addy for invite to LGP Extra Attacker league

Postby tperko on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:36 pm

maudineormsby wrote:
netwolf wrote:The tradition of the GDT being a conduit for good juju goes back longer than most posters. You're well within your rights if you find it silly or juvenile, but many people do not. Some might enjoy the tradition simply for traditions-sake, or because of superstition. Some believe in the juju, others just find it fun, and some might just enjoy not reading "[insert player/coach name here] sucks" every other post.

I agree with this. Anyone else agree?

if agreeing excuses pissing and monaing for 30 more minutes than yes
tperko
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby kirk on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 pm

farnham16 wrote:
profpolisci wrote:Mike Yeo is no fool, and neither are the world class players on the PP. Do you really think he says' "Hey fellas, just pass it back and forth and don't move?"

Miller won this game more than anyone on the Penguins lost it. Yeah, Satan doesn't seem to be a good fit and yeah Orpik didn't have a good game. But this team doesn't suck.

Mike Yeo has the two best players in the NHL on his PP and it looks like garbage 80 percent of the time. His setup for our PP hasnt worked all season and he refuses to change it. Hes a joke.

For my part, the thing that gets me is this: Put out Sid, Geno, and Sykora at 5 on 5, and they control the puck in the offensive zone because players always are moving. There's no set positions. They rotate and look for open ice. They rotate with defensemen. Then, they go on the PP, and there's nothing . . . no movement, no rotation, no pressure . . . nothing.

Do I think that Yeo is an idiot? No, I don't. But, he coaches a PP that utilizes only 1/2 of the offensive zone, with the exception of that back door play. He coaches a PP that lacks player movement. And, sometimes, I wonder if he might be better off putting out the 5 best and telling them to just do whatever comes naturally instead of trying to "coach" them.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby profpolisci on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 pm

The Penguins are what they are and if you don't think this team is as deep as it needs to be with five key players injured and a rookie point on the PP then your heads in a cloud.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tperko on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:38 pm

profpolisci wrote:The Penguins are what they are and if you don't think this team is as deep as it needs to be with five key players injured and a rookie point on the PP then your heads in a cloud.

that was still a winnable game
tperko
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby booboo on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:40 pm

tperko wrote:edit: i can't wait for TK and whitney to be healthy. and the gonch!

Maybe Gonch. But what would Whit bring besides the back door trick
of Sidney's, which btw either of Letang of Goligoski can capitalize on?
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:40 pm

kirk wrote: He coaches a PP that lacks player movement. And, sometimes, I wonder if he might be better off putting out the 5 best and telling them to just do whatever comes naturally instead of trying to "coach" them.

Sid and Geno shouldn't be on the same PP. True, they're deferring less this year, but still way too much. Too many lazy 50-foot passes that only through the grace of booming shots do goals occur, rather than pressing and moving and backing the PKers off, like every other good PP does, and the Pens have done in the past at times.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cojac on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:40 pm

Soff play infront of our net + soff goals let in = Lose

Pens should of won this game easily.
cojac
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Benny206 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:41 pm

Gogo Lovejoy, sounds like a character off of Austin Powers. I see big things in the future, and a possible merchandise bonzaza of GoGo Lovejoy t shirts.
Last edited by Benny206 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benny206
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby booboo on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:42 pm

profpolisci wrote:Mike Yeo is no fool, and neither are the world class players on the PP. Do you really think he says' "Hey fellas, just pass it back and forth and don't move?"

Basing on what I see, I actually lean to believe that he does say something to the effect.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tperko on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:42 pm

booboo wrote:
tperko wrote:edit: i can't wait for TK and whitney to be healthy. and the gonch!

i think having whitney back will be good.

also having tk back will mean being able to possess the puck a little more
tperko
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:42 pm

Get well soon, MAF.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tperko on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:43 pm

Benny206 wrote:Gogo Lovejoy, sounds like a character off of Austin Powers. I see big things in the feature, and a possible merchandise bonzaza of GoGo Lovejoy t shirts.

trademark this now - it sounds f'n awesome
tperko
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:43 pm

booboo wrote:

Who do you think our pp point-man will be when Whitney returns? He brings experience back to the PP. Letang and Gogo are basically puppets out there. THey just fill up space b/c the team needs to have 5 players out there.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Matthew Monstar on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:43 pm

So if people dont agree with certain posters that are in charge of the thread, they can't post? Alot of power on here.

Let me ask you this, What positives were there to take away from the game? 1-7 on the powerplay, another blown lead, Sabourin stilll looks bad.

It's just realism. When its good its good, When its bad its bad. Whats wrong with admitting its bad right now.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cojac on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:44 pm

tperko wrote:sid was pissed i bet

He should be, he has no legitimate wingers on this team. Since the trade freeze goes into effect in 10 days, he's most likely stuck with the same wingers until the 27th. (they play 9 games in that time frame)
cojac
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby kirk on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:45 pm

Eismann wrote:
kirk wrote: He coaches a PP that lacks player movement. And, sometimes, I wonder if he might be better off putting out the 5 best and telling them to just do whatever comes naturally instead of trying to "coach" them.

Sid and Geno shouldn't be on the same PP. True, they're deferring less this year, but still way too much. Too many lazy 50-foot passes that only through the grace of booming shots do goals occur, rather than pressing and moving and backing the PKers off, like every other good PP does, and the Pens have done in the past at times.

I'm kind of torn on that one. For once, I'd just like to see them play on the PP like they do at 4 on 4 or 5 on 5. They're just always moving. I don't know, maybe for the next penalty the Pens can request 4 on 4 or just decline the penalty in exchange for a few shifts of Sid and Geno against the other team's fourth line. I just think that the PP would be lethal if you let Sid and Geno move like the players on the Detroit or San Jose PP are always moving and thus always pressuring the PK. That two minute 5 on 3 PK for Buffalo might have been the least demanding 5 on 3 PK in recent memory.
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tperko on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:45 pm

bhaw wrote:
booboo wrote:

Who do you think our pp point-man will be when Whitney returns? He brings experience back to the PP. Letang and Gogo are basically puppets out there. THey just fill up space b/c the team needs to have 5 players out there.

there are some times that gogo looks goood on the pp and sometimes letang looks good. depends on the period and how much time is left.....hmm...
tperko
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby booboo on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Killiecrankie wrote:Christ if Mario were still playin he just wouldn't pass, I've seen him do it before. If you aren't in a position to score, he wouldn't pass to you. If you weren't moving, you didn't play on the next powerplay or Mario wouldn't come out. Sid and Geno should not be forced to cover for ****** powerplay strategies.

EXACTLY!!!
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 pm

cojac wrote:
tperko wrote:sid was pissed i bet

He should be, he has no legitimate wingers on this team. Since the trade freeze goes into effect in 10 days, he's most likely stuck with the same wingers until the 27th. (they play 9 games in that time frame)

I've learned to just let MT futz with the lines in wutever fashion he does, but the frequency of the Sid-Geno pair in non-dire situations is wearing thin.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins