What Gives With This Team Blowing Leads?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What Gives With This Team Blowing Leads?

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:43 am

kirk wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:Lack of mental toughness, experience, and arrogance.

They quit and get greedy every time they get up.

As soon as the Sabres made it 3-2, you KNEW we weren't gonna win that one. Same went for in NY last week.

It's just a character flaw.

Do you think that it might have a little more to do with personnel? On last night's roster, ask yourself this: How many players would Boston or Detroit or San Jose or even Philly want on the team: Sid and Geno, definitely. Outside of that, Staal, Orpik, and probably Letang are it. It's hard to win hockey games when 14 of 19 players on the ice for the Pens wouldn't have been on the ice for the B's, Wings, Sharks, or even Flyers. It's going to be an up and down thing, even when Whitney comes back (Whitney should help, as he'll relieve some of the breakout issues and would be a PP upgrade over Gogo).

Speaking of Whitney, anyone know when he is scheduled to come back? Wasn't it like mid-December or something like that?
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby kirk on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 am

Why So Serious? wrote:
kirk wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:Lack of mental toughness, experience, and arrogance.

They quit and get greedy every time they get up.

As soon as the Sabres made it 3-2, you KNEW we weren't gonna win that one. Same went for in NY last week.

It's just a character flaw.

Do you think that it might have a little more to do with personnel? On last night's roster, ask yourself this: How many players would Boston or Detroit or San Jose or even Philly want on the team: Sid and Geno, definitely. Outside of that, Staal, Orpik, and probably Letang are it. It's hard to win hockey games when 14 of 19 players on the ice for the Pens wouldn't have been on the ice for the B's, Wings, Sharks, or even Flyers. It's going to be an up and down thing, even when Whitney comes back (Whitney should help, as he'll relieve some of the breakout issues and would be a PP upgrade over Gogo).

Speaking of Whitney, anyone know when he is scheduled to come back? Wasn't it like mid-December or something like that?

I never thought that I would write this: WHITNEY CANNOT COME BACK SOON ENOUGH!
kirk
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 am

kirk wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

I never thought that I would write this: WHITNEY CANNOT COME BACK SOON ENOUGH!

I hear ya, brother. I can't wait for him to come back. And barring any setbacks, I think we will see a whole new Ryan Whitney, contrary to last season. It might have been the case last year that he just played the majority of the season hurt and that's why he never looked like the Ryan Whitney we are used to seeing. I just think he may be that "spark" the Pens are looking for.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby T.K. on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:22 am

doublewinder wrote:Do they have the Pirates bullpen or what?
I'm gettin sick and tired/frustrated with how the Pens continually get and blow multi goal leads.

This has been a trend, going on, the entire season, and it just gets more frustrating.

1) Oct 11, 1-0 3rd period lead, OT loss
2) Oct 14, 2-0 lead, OT win
3) Oct 16, 3-0 lead, 4-3 loss
4) Oct 25, 2-0 lead in the third, SO loss
5) Nov 13, 3-0 lead, 5-4 SO win
6) Dec 3, 2-0 lead, SO loss
7) Dec 8, 3-1 lead, loss

What the eff is going on?
Why is it this team can not hold leads?
If they keep this up, they can kiss any chance of making a playoff run good bye.
I understand we have injuries, but this is concerning.
Is this team just not mentally tough?
Last year...they made it far because they played a solid defensive system, shutting down teams and maintaing leads.
What is the problem with this season?

1) The impact of no Gonchar/Whitney?
2) The loss of Hossa/Malone/Roberts/Ruutu/LaRaque/Hall?
3) Fleury injury?
4) Not as mentally tough?
5) Bad defensive system?
6) Combo?
7) Others?

I like to think if Gonchar and Whitney come back...these problems go away.
However I wonder if they really can, both come back and play at the high level we need..and if this alone is the problem.
Somehow I think they lost a lot in the offseason...and even if Fred can make a deal to get someone like Roberts back, the mental toughness, experience is gone, as is the chemistry, very troubling no doubt.

You forgot to ad and itprob. should have been #1 on your list... COACHING
T.K.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ryan21081 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:58 pm

Look at the bright side. We are only 4 points out of the division lead and the second seed. if we hadn't blown 7 points then we would be in first in the conf. As much as these games stab me in my side I think once Gonch, zigo, and whit come back these issues should be minimized. Once the playoffs start this will be all in the past. Who is in net is irrelivant. Maf and sabu are both average goaltenders in my opinion.I also thing coaching has something to do with it. Anyone else notice how when a player gets 2 goals they do everything possible to get him the HT and the other team knows who to cover? Maybe its just me but we seem to get complacent with a 2 goal lead and in this league that is dangerous.
ryan21081
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:13 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:today it was the fact that orpik and letang were a complete joke. orpik kept giving up odd-man breaks and turning the puck over while letang played like a 6 year old blind girl in front of our net

That plus the fact that Daniel Day Lewis could have stopped more pucks with his left foot than Sabu has over the past few games.

But you take the best two defensemen off of any team, and they are going to blow leads and turn pucks over. Gonchar might not play a physical game, and Whitney hits like Lizzie McGuire, but they are calm under pressure, they make the smart play, and are the key to the transition game. Without that, the GAA shall rise.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins