Which was the worst blown lead so far?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Which of these 6 blown leads was the worst?

October 11th, Devils 2 @ Pens 1 - 1 point lost. Fluke goal ties it late for Devils, Parise gets OT winner.
4%
October 16th, Caps 4 @ Pens 3 - 2 points lost. Had a 3-0 lead in that game.
58%
October 25th, Pens 2 @ Rangers 3 (SO) - 1 point lost. Had a 2-0 lead going into the 3rd. Gave up a goal with 8 seconds left.
4%
November 28th, Pens 3 @ Sabres 4 - 2 points lost. Had a 3-2 lead going into the 3rd on the road and gave up 2 in the 3rd.
No votes
December 3rd, Pens 2 Rangers 3 - 1 point lost. Had a 2-0 lead on the road and once again the Rangers come back and win in a shootout.
13%
December 8th, Sabres 4 @ Pens 3 - 2 points lost. Pens fail to put the Sabres away in the 2nd, and give up 2-goal lead instead. Sabres complete comeback in the 3rd.
21%

Total votes : 24

Which was the worst blown lead so far?

Postby ivand87 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:23 am

Six games. In all but 2 of these, the Pens were up by 2 goals or more. Those are 9 huge points right there. Had they won these games they would be 1st in the Eastern Conference, 1 point ahead of Boston, and only 3 points behind San Jose for the league lead. As it is right now, we could be 4th in the division by the end of the week if they continue to struggle, especially with games against New Jersey and Philly.

Remember these games if we lose a series without home ice advantage like last year. I know the Pens are really hurting injury-wise and all and obviously Fleury, Gonchar and Whitney make us significantly better, but the fact of the matter is, because of these blown leads, we've missed a chance to be one of the elite teams in this league at this point in the season. The Pens have what it takes to win the President's Trophy. I honestly think we would have won the Cup with home ice advantage against Detroit - those first 2 games in Detroit made all the difference. After those 2 games we split 4 1-goal games with the Wings.

To me the worst one was the Rangers game last week. Seeing the same thing happen to the Pens against the Rangers was so frustrating. And the way the shootout went... Ugggh...
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Which was the worst blown lead so far?

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:27 am

really?
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:31 am

I don't think it's a fair question when you're framing it around the points they've blown.

What about:

Oct 23: down 1-0 going into the third, won 4-1.
Nov 8: down 3-2 going into the third, won 4-3 in a SO.
Nov 11: down 5-2 in the third, won 7-6 in OT.
Nov 15: down 2-1 going into the third, won 5-2.
Nov 26: down 3-1 going into the third, won 5-3.

So they blew six games but came back in five others. Nine points lost, ten points gained. It's basically all evened out.

To answer your question, the Washington game was the worst. They were up 3-0 and were absolutely dominating, and they didn't even get a point out of it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jaysmiter on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:34 am

idk my bff jill?
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby Kicksave on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:06 am

I love polls.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:27 am

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ivand87 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:49 am

Henry Hank wrote:I don't think it's a fair question when you're framing it around the points they've blown.

What about:

Oct 23: down 1-0 going into the third, won 4-1.
Nov 8: down 3-2 going into the third, won 4-3 in a SO.
Nov 11: down 5-2 in the third, won 7-6 in OT.
Nov 15: down 2-1 going into the third, won 5-2.
Nov 26: down 3-1 going into the third, won 5-3.

So they blew six games but came back in five others. Nine points lost, ten points gained. It's basically all evened out.

To answer your question, the Washington game was the worst. They were up 3-0 and were absolutely dominating, and they didn't even get a point out of it.

Yeah but with the exception of the Detroit game, all of those games were against teams that they should be able to beat now almost every time. Still, my point is that we actually could have the best start in franchise history and be right at the top of the league if not for these blown leads. It's happened just way too often and it's unacceptable. These games are setting the Pens back not just points in the standings but from having perhaps the best regular season in franchise history. When you break down those games, you realize that the Pens should probably have had every one of them except maybe the Devils game on October 11th.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:57 am

The best regular season in franchise history means nothing. They didn't win the Cup in their best regular season. I'd rather they go through some adversity now because they'll be better for it. I'd rather they be blowing leads now and have issues on the PP now than in April. They can fix those problems now. By then, it'd be too late. I thought the slow start and the injuries last year ended up being a blessing in disguise because as a team they were better for it by the time everything came together. I think you'll see something similar this year.

I look at the Sharks, it's probably fun for them that things are going nearly perfect to this point, but think if this continues and the Pens meet them in the Finals. Are you going to take a team without Cup experience that's had the easy road, or the team that has tasted defeat there that has faced and surpassed many hurdles? I think there's a reason why in sports that teams rarely steam roll through everyone to a championship.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:01 am

If they can't win now, they're never gonna win. May as well find another team to watch.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:52 am

To put it harshly they deserve to lose these games where've they blown the lead. Once in a while it's ok because that happens but to continually do that is uncalled for. Losing because you're down all game is one thing but blowing leads on a regular basis is another. The old yea it means nothing in the regular season argument is just an excuse.

Luck, the hockey gods whatever you wanna call it don't factor in and the player's don't say "Well, we blown some games in the regular season, we won't do that in that playoffs" These blown leads shouldn't of happened anyways. This is an NHL team, not some pick up team.

Wed's game will be interesting NJ is only 4 pts behind us.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:32 am

The Caps game was the one that really rattled the team. They have not been the same team since. I cannot wait for the next game against the Caps, I hope the Pens pulverize them and exorcise their "demons".

demonic penguins, now there is a photoshop waiting to happen.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:01 am

Last night's, because the blown coverages seemed like the fault of one guy, and he kept getting icetime.

I think the blown leads will subside once the blueline is healthy.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:05 am

pfim wrote:because the blown coverages seemed like the fault of one guy, and he kept getting icetime.

mike yeo?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:08 am

shmenguin wrote:
pfim wrote:because the blown coverages seemed like the fault of one guy, and he kept getting icetime.

mike yeo?

lol. i hate mr shineyheadpigface too! weeeeeeeeeee!
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby pfim on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:10 am

shmenguin wrote:

mike yeo?

44 and 58 have been on the ice for 6 of the last 7 goals against.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:12 am

Ummmm where is the option for "All of them"?

A loss is a loss in my books.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins