Who's out and for how long.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who's out and for how long.

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:41 am

Man with all the injuries, it is hard to keep up.

Does anyone have a website or a general idea of who is out and for how long when it comes to the Pens?
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Who's out and for how long.

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:44 am

I'm day-to-day.

We're all day-to-day.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby helmespc on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:58 am

Gill - Late Dec/Early Jan
Whitney - Early to mid Jan
Gonchar - Late February/Early March
Kennedy - Mid Jan
Fleury - Next week or so
Boucher - Late Dec(?)
Zigomanis - Next Week or so

Who'd I miss?
Last edited by helmespc on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:59 am

Boucher...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:00 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/injuries?teamAbbrev=pit

It's not great, but it's a start.

Basically, here's what we're looking at.

GOALTENDER
Marc-Andre Fleury - could be back as early as this weekend, according to Mark Madden yesterday. More realistic may be December 18 at Atlanta or December 20 when the Pens host Toronto.

DEFENSE
Hal Gill - out 2-4 weeks, which puts him back in the lineup sometime between the week of Christmas and the first full week of January.

Philippe Boucher - week to week, according to the Tribune Review. He could be back for Saturday's game at Philly, but like Fleury, a more realistic date may be next week or even the week after, as there just doesn't seem to be much of an update on his progress.

Ryan Whitney - has resumed skating and practicing. Initial target date for his return was right around Christmas, and he appears to be on schedule for that, and maybe even a little bit ahead of schedule. I'm thinking Toronto game, December 20 at the earliest...if not, perhaps the week of Christmas.

Sergei Gonchar - expected to be out until March.

FORWARDS

Tyler Kennedy - 4-6 weeks as of this past Saturday's game with Ottawa. That puts him back sometime in early-mid January.

Mike Zigomanis - day-to-day. Molinari said in the PG today that Therrien told him Zigomanis is getting close. I'd think he'll be back by Saturday.

I think that's it. Am I missing anyone?
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby helmespc on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:01 pm

There you have it.... forgot Boucher and Ziggy.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Which is the worse injury burden?

Crosby, Fleury, Eaton, Roberts, Hall

or

Gonchar, Whitney, Fleury, Boucher, Gill, Kennedy, Zigomanis

I think this year's might be more devastating. Crosby's about as significant a loss as a team can have, but the Pens are out four starting defensemen, potentially three of whom who'd be in the top four in terms of ice time. I think Kennedy's a pretty significant loss too. He's not only a heart and soul guy, but he was pretty consistent in producing this season.

I really wish people would temper their expectations with over a third of the lineup on the shelf, pretty much all of them important guys in some way. I still think this team should win more often than not, but they're not going to dominate and they're going to lose games more often than they would if 100%. Gotta keep perspective right now.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby helmespc on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:16 pm

I'd have to say for certain this years injuries. While losing Crosby was a big hit last year... Fleury is a wash... Roberts, Hall, and Eaton were all easily replaced. I'd argue that:

Gonchar + Whitney = Crosby
Kennedy > Roberts
Gill + Boucher > Eaton
Zigomanis = Hall

So as far as I'm concerned the answer is clearly this years injuries have been tougher thus far. Prove me wrong.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:17 pm

helmespc wrote:I'd have to say for certain this years injuries. While losing Crosby was a big hit last year... Fleury is a wash... Roberts, Hall, and Eaton were all easily replaced. I'd argue that:

Gonchar + Whitney = Crosby
Kennedy > Roberts
Gill + Boucher > Eaton
Zigomanis > Hall

So as far as I'm concerned the answer is clearly this years injuries have been tougher thus far. Prove me wrong.

Fixed.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:21 pm

March for Sergei? :( I guess we're lucky his season isn't done.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stoosh on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Which is the worse injury burden?

Crosby, Fleury, Eaton, Roberts, Hall

or

Gonchar, Whitney, Fleury, Boucher, Gill, Kennedy, Zigomanis

I think this year's might be more devastating. Crosby's about as significant a loss as a team can have, but the Pens are out four starting defensemen, potentially three of whom who'd be in the top four in terms of ice time. I think Kennedy's a pretty significant loss too. He's not only a heart and soul guy, but he was pretty consistent in producing this season.

I really wish people would temper their expectations with over a third of the lineup on the shelf, pretty much all of them important guys in some way. I still think this team should win more often than not, but they're not going to dominate and they're going to lose games more often than they would if 100%. Gotta keep perspective right now.

HH,

Not to mention the fact that you're asking two kids in just their second seasons as professionals to not just contribute but to take over two very prominent roles on the team and to some degree, replace the production of two of the league's highest-scoring defensemen over the past two seasons.

I think people forget that last year wasn't just Letang's first season in the NHL...it was his first full season as a pro. Goligoski made his pro debut last year as well; the only difference was that he spent most of his whole season at the AHL level. You're talking about two guys who are just entering their second pro seasons in a league where most teams bring their young defensemen along at a considerably less hectic pace.

Letang leads Penguins defensemen with 22:27 of ice time per night. Goligoski is getting 19 minutes a night. That's asking an awful lot of a couple of kids.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins